CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
IWF legal Platform

So as the title implies I am looking for where to purchase a platform that conforms to IWF specs, so my club could run competitions.

The club will be eventually hosting Powerlifting, Olympic lifting, Strongman, and possibly Crossfit-esque competitions.

I'm finding the PL and Strongman equipment is easier to find.

Also is there a list somewhere like on the IPF website of what equipment from which companies are legal for competition?

I've googled some already and found little nuggets but nothing really like i'm looking for.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Tom Scibelli

Profile:
Re: IWF legal Platform

This is a link from usa weightlifting, it should provide some useful info: http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/USA_W...20a%20meet.pdf
Old 05-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Thanks!

So basically if I'm reading this right you don't need to go out and get an Eleiko or DHS platform, you can literally build one out of plywood?

Same for warm up areas, question about warm up areas, taking for granted that this will not be the Canadian weightlifting championships or the Ontario provincial championships, do the bars in the warm up area have to be comp legal bars? I.e could the club just get pendlay bars or Bella bars for example for lifters to warmup with?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Kevin Mueller

Profile:

IWF only really cares about the dimensions and materials. From their technical manual (Sec. 3.2):

"All lifts must be executed on the competition platform.

The platform must be square, level and measuring four (4) metres on each side. When the floor surrounding the platform has similar or same colouring, the top edge of the platform must have a different coloured line of at least 150 mm.

The platform may be made of wood, plastic or any solid material and may be covered with a non-slippery material.

The platform shall not be higher than 150 mm.

A clear area measuring one (1) metre surrounding the platform is compulsory. This area must be flat and free from any obstacle including discs."

You don't neccesarily need comp ceritified bars/plates in the warm-up area. Here's a link to the IWF's technical specs, should be everything you need

http://www.iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf (safe for work)
Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Thanks!

So basically if I'm reading this right you don't need to go out and get an Eleiko or DHS platform, you can literally build one out of plywood?

Same for warm up areas, question about warm up areas, taking for granted that this will not be the Canadian weightlifting championships or the Ontario provincial championships, do the bars in the warm up area have to be comp legal bars? I.e could the club just get pendlay bars or Bella bars for example for lifters to warmup with?
I'm not sure if it's in the IWF rulebook, but it's definitely favourable for lifters to warm up on the same bar they're going to use on the comp platform. But since you say you won't be hosting big meets, I don't think it'll be a problem.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Keith Miller

Profile:

Warm-up bars do NOT have to be comp bars, nor do the plates. However, like Struan says, it's good to be able to warm-up on similar bars, if not the same bar as will be on the platform.

Most platforms are made of plywood layers, so that's fine. Just have to mark the outline of the platform lifting surface if it's not raised.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Drew,

Whereabouts do you train in Kingston?

- Dan
Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I'm not in kingston anymore but site won't let me change geographic area
Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Kane Greene

Profile:

Plywood + carpet... boom done.

I thought with as specific as they(USAPL/IPF) are with everything else that would be the same with the platform, but not the case.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Thanks!

You would be good getting Pendlay NB bars (Both mens and woman's) for the warmup area, but you will need an Eleiko, DHS, or Werksan bar rated for competition in the comp area.