CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
So today I'm sitting in chemistry class and it was our first day starting on Biochemistry after finishing the Organic chemsitry section. First we start off with carbohydrates. As the professor gave the lecture she repeatedly stated how important it was for humans to eat complex carbohydrates, especially from grains! She claimed it to be a nutrient essential to human life. This really upset me that a supposed professional was spouting off completely incorrect information to students who would be future health care practitioners. She didn't stop there. When we got to the lipids chapter she broke down the types of fats into saturated, mono-, and poly- and explained that saturated fats came from animals and have been shown in many studies to cause heart disease and cancer. Her logic was that saturated fat is hard a room temperature, so that must mean that it is hard in our bodies and clogs arteries. I find this to be completely simplistic view of the human body which is actually much more complex than that. She then went on to say that monounsaturated fats were a bit better for humans but should still be eaten in moderation. By the time we got to polys- I was sitting there trying so hard not to raise my hand and shut this woman up. She claimed that polys were the healthiest fats that humans can eat and that most of our polys should come from vegetable oils!! She said fish is ok too, but isn't as healthy as vegetable oil. How do I deal with a completely misinformed person like this? Should I raise my hand and challenge her, or should I just ignore her? I feel like if I just let her misinform the class that it contributes to more health problems in the future for the people that these students have to treat. I honestly don't know what to do here, I'm pretty mad about it. She kept saying ""lard", just listen to the sound of that, doesn't the word "lard" just sound unhealthy?" to the class. What a bimbo. She was suggesting that lard was unhealthy because of the way the word sounds. It's almost funny when you think about it.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."
--Robert Frost
Old 03-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Greg,

I'm completely unsurprised. You'd definitely be doing the class a favor by offering a different viewpoint, although you do have to worry about getting through the class, too. I don't envy you.

Whether you do challenge her or not, though, I have a feeling you won't change her mind (sadly).

I believe Robb Wolf went through an eerily similar situation when he was pursuing an M.S. in Nutritional Science (??) and ended up leaving in disgust, if memory serves.

Not trying to bum you out--many of us here can appreciate your frustration.

Mike

Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
David Stegman

Profile:
I'm always amazed when I hear things like that. It makes you wonder how many other "experts" are out there.

I was sitting in my Dr. office the other day. I could hear her talking to another patient outside of my door. I saw the guy she was talking to earlier. He was about 30ish not overweight or anything. He looked in average shape. Anyway, he proceeded to tell her how he can get stressed at work when things start stacking up etc. She asked point blank if he thinks he needs some medication for the stress. She asked him!!!! He replied, "well, I guess it couldn't hurt". So she gave him some samples of Lexpro or something like that and explained that it would help "even" out his feeling of stress.

Amazing. I felt like asking the guy how much rest he gets, what is his diet, does he exercise? All of that could help his "stress" level at work. But that would be too much hard work right? Especially when you can just pop a pill and feel "just right"
Old 03-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
James Falkner

Profile:
Apathy. Status Quo. Someone tells you something, with authority, it's so much easier to take it at face value, and pass it along than to challenge, question, and seek the truth. Sadly, this tendency is in a lot of us. It will take quite a while to make the sea change we all hope for.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Note to self . . . taking Neumann College off daughter's "possible" list.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Greg,
Be patient. Don't rock the boat too much, you might pay a high price for doing something that won't change her mind.

I went through most of naturopathic medical school with teachers who I knew were either ignorant, misinformed, or just plain dumb. Like the ones who would prescribe multivitamins that made people nauseous (sometimes even vomit!). I asked, isn't that a bad reaction to something as supposedly innocuous and "essential" as a multivitamin? Could that be a "drug reaction" aka "side effect" of the mega-dosed, highly purified, non-complexed, mostly synthetic nutrients? That's the crap recommended by the Chair of Nutrition at my school!

I'm actually concerned about the opposite end of the spectrum. If I were to host seminars in nutrition, think of all of the "unlearning" I'd be asking my audience members to do--this would likely be easier for laymen than healthcare practitioners (maybe). Everything that they had been learning from the media would be challenged, their paradigms would be attacked, and many would be unable to handle most of it so they would likely end up disregarding *everything* I said.

Change is never easy. Try not to get too upset, your classmates would likely hear the same crap at any other nutrition class they take. Universities teach old knowledge, for old knowledge is "safer".

‘A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it..’-— Max Planck
Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Hahahaha, all great posts. I may just chellenge her to see what happens. I think it will put some doubt into the other students minds and possibly spark their interests to actually research this stuff for themselves and find the truth. I think I could hold a very good argument against her claims, and back it with science. I can't even imagine what beholds me for the course on nutrition I will be taking next semester....lot's of arguing.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Greg,
Do yourself a favor in your revolution by taking in as many abstracts (printed out, obviously) that you can.

Cordain's got tons, that Ray Peats guy has some, I'm sure you can find several authors that are "clearinghouses" for obtaining research studies to back what you want to say to her (and them).
Old 03-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
Greg - It's been my experience that when I'm thinking something, I'm typically not the only person in the room thinking it. Unfortunatly, I most offen come off sounding like a smart a$$ when I speak what I'm thinking, and that's not the route you should take. For instance, I hear this and I think "if it's essential to life, how did we evolve without them?" That question won't score you any points. Maybe if you pose it as more inquisitive than challanging. . .without allowing yourself to be walked over.

If you've been doing Crossfit & eating in the zone for any length of time, and you look the way a lot of the folks here seem to, maybe you just take your shirt off and flex as your asking?

I think even if in bringing it up, you can get some other people in the room thinking about it, mission accomplished.

Tough spot, man. Good luck.