CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Achilles tendon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
David, unless you have a chance at 250K in July, I would step down. Or you can jump down, set your feet and jump back up. I ruptured my achilles about 14 months ago playing basketball. It's a really ****ty injury. I still do local competitions. If they program box jumps its just not worth the risk to rebound at the bottom. I also do not let anybody at our box do this.

Ryan
I definitely see where you are coming Ryan, and agree that for workouts to just stay in shape stepping down is the way to go. But for competition . . . that's a tough one. True, I have no shot at the 250k, but how much money was on the line when you were playing that basketball game? I don't know that going all out in a box jump workout is any more dangerous than going all out in a basketball game, a softball game, or a game of ultimate Frisbee. And even if it provably were, at some point I want to see how I can stack up and think some risk is worth it.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I definitely see where you are coming Ryan, and agree that for workouts to just stay in shape stepping down is the way to go. But for competition . . . that's a tough one. True, I have no shot at the 250k, but how much money was on the line when you were playing that basketball game? I don't know that going all out in a box jump workout is any more dangerous than going all out in a basketball game, a softball game, or a game of ultimate Frisbee. And even if it provably were, at some point I want to see how I can stack up and think some risk is worth it.
In basketball it just "happens". In CF it is preventable. I know where you are coming from, though. Not much different than choosing to do butterfly pull-ups.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
In basketball it just "happens". In CF it is preventable. I know where you are coming from, though. Not much different than choosing to do butterfly pull-ups.
I would agree with this.

Unless they have a shot at money in competition (or don't really care I guess?), your job as a trainer is first and foremost is not to injure your clients.

Hence, step downs, no butterfly pullups, getting rid of SDHP, and drilling super good form with everything IMO.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
But of course it's preventable in basketball: Just don't play basketball!
You could stay on the bench instead of exposing yourself to risk, and you should because there's nothing you are going to win in the basketball game.

That is the same message coming across regarding the CF Open. If I refuse to do kipping pullups and box jumps because of 1:1000 risk of injury and those movements come up then I'm removing myself from contention: essentially throwing in the towel. What kind of life are you going to live if every time there might be a 1:1000 risk of injury exists you give up?

Would it be better if riskier movements weren't programmed in CF? Sure, and if I'm programming just to stay in shape I won't be doing 100 kipping pullups or box jumps, but when it comes to doing someone else's competition at some point you just have to risk it or accept that you will live your life in a padded box where you can't enjoy the fitness you've worked so hard for.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

There's a difference in competing in something for fun where there's a high injury risk, and competing in something because you're good and you're trying to get to the top to make money.

Risk is all relative to what the rewards are... and generally speaking I don't like the risks with a bunch of the high volume CF stuff. But each person can make their own judgements on what is acceptable to them.

I just don't like people complaining about their injuries when it was obvious that they were working through pain and whatnot. What did you expect/think would happen?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
That is the same message coming across regarding the CF Open. If I refuse to do kipping pullups and box jumps because of 1:1000 risk of injury and those movements come up then I'm removing myself from contention: essentially throwing in the towel. What kind of life are you going to live if every time there might be a 1:1000 risk of injury exists you give up?
Live to fight another day?

Also, even been on crutches for 12 weeks?

It's ultimately your choice, Dave. I'm not telling you what to do. Just sharing my observations as somebody who has had the inury.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Live to fight another day?

Also, even been on crutches for 12 weeks?

It's ultimately your choice, Dave. I'm not telling you what to do. Just sharing my observations as somebody who has had the inury.
Fair enough.