CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Zev Pechenick

Profile:
Disc Herniation (L5-S1) & DDD ...

Hi guys,

Just got my MRI results back this past week (after many Many months or not knowing the problem).
Results:
* Bulky right paracentral disc herniation with inferior subligamentous extrusion at L5-S1, impinging the traversing right SI +/- S2 nerve roots. Consider surgical consultation. Background moderate -advanced right eccentric DDD.
* Right eccentric disc protrusion at L4-L5 resulting in moderate bilateral lateral recess stenoses.
The (odd?) thing is that 99% or my irritation and pain is localized in my lower back exactly where the disc is. Not much at all down my leg. From what Ive learned, this is a good sign(?), indicating that the disc is moving back into place, but this has been the case for me for a very long time now, and things do not seem to change. I also just read more about Degenerative Disc Disease where pain is more localized and the nuclease of the disc is what is injured.
Movement / exercise wise I crossfit but have focuses on more isolated strength and core strength since the injury, and in particular making sure to avoid flexion of the spine.
I want to avoid surgery but have a consultation with a surgeon in about a month. I also have no idea what this type of surgery would entail.
I guess Im just looking for any insight you guys may have as to what is likely going on with my discs, and what I can do to improve.
Maybe its just more rest that my body needs to heal the actual disc ?
Thanks very much for any help!!!!
-Zev
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Megan Zetter

Profile:
Re: Disc Herniation (L5-S1) & DDD ...

The gnarliest MRI's can be from someone who has absolutely no symptoms. Whereas a person may have perfect images and be in debilitating pain. That being said, it sounds as though image wise you have a lot going on, however your symptoms seem to be improving. If I were you I'd keep doing what you are doing and only consider surgery if things get progressively worse. Working with a good PT or chiropractor may be of some benefit too.

Consult with the surgeon and go from there, but it sounds like you are getting better.