CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Brian Stover

Profile:
Achilles Tendon Straps

I strained my Achilles tendon last summer while doing some speed-work drills at the local track. It took about 3 months to get back to running and another 2 months before I really had confidence in it again. It's been about a year since the injury and I have been back to sprinted at 100% intensity for about 6 -7 months now.

About two weeks ago, I aggravated the injury site and it has been bothering me again. This time around does not feel nearly as bad as my original strain last summer. However, it is affecting my ability to run and perform sprinting, jumping and other explosive type movements.

I'm taking a break from running, jumping, sprinting, etc for a week or two to let it heal up. After that, I'd like to start running again and work back up to sprinting by the end of August.

I'm doing the regular recommended rehab stuff - calf raises, balance work, footwork, stretching, etc. I bought a trigger point set to work out the tightness in my calves and I also see a Bowen Therapist regularly.

My problem is that I need to run a fitness test for law Enforcement at the end of August and I need to do everything I can speed the healing process and reduce the risk of re-injury. The test involves sprinting and a 1.5 mile run.

So, I was out looking to see if there was anything I could use to help me in the healing process once I'm back up to running again and something that might help me avoid the chances of re-injuring it. I saw some sites referencing the use of Achilles Tendon Straps. They seem like they're similar to compression socks, but more targeted to the Achilles Tendon. The sites I looked at say that the straps put pressure in the heel area which reduces jarring and tension on the tendon during running and jumping type movements. This is supposed to reduce the stress on the tendon. Has anyone had any experience with Achilles Tendon Straps, or any other advice they can offer?

A few details on me:
Running Style: forefoot (I run in Newton's or Nike Frees)
Running: I was running twice a week at 1.5 - 3.0 miles (focusing more on speed that distance) and running sprints once a week.
CrossFit: 1 year now

Links to some Achilles Tendon Straps
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO002/ (WFS)

http://www.pattstrap.com/achilles-he...trap-p-29.html (WFS)
Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Achilles Tendon Straps

Straps may help... I don't have any experience with those.

Most of your rehab should be focused on the proprioceptive work you've been doing including lots of stretching.

But the main bulk of the strengthening should be eccentrics... that's what's going to help reset your neuromucsular control + add additional sarcomeres to prevent restrain etc.

this may give you a better insight into what you need to do wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...uscle-strains/
Old 07-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Tim Pedersen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post

Most of your rehab should be focused on the proprioceptive work you've been doing including lots of stretching.

But the main bulk of the strengthening should be eccentrics... that's what's going to help reset your neuromucsular control + add additional sarcomeres to prevent restrain etc.

Steven, similar situation where D/Us have caused me pain, twinges in calf and more recently pain in achilles. I got it - no D/Us I am icing big time and lots of fish oil. Question: ballsitic movements are out but are air squats, light (45lb bar) front squats, lunges, OHS OK? Thanks in advance - really appreciate all your advise throughout numerous posts.

God Bless

Tim
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Brian Stover

Profile:

Quote:

Steven,
Thanks for the advice & links. You mentioned focusing on eccentrics for strength training. I've been doing calf raises / heel drops. Working on getting to one legged sets of 15 - 20 reps without discomfort. Are there any other movements you would recommend?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Pedersen View Post
Steven, similar situation where D/Us have caused me pain, twinges in calf and more recently pain in achilles. I got it - no D/Us I am icing big time and lots of fish oil. Question: ballsitic movements are out but are air squats, light (45lb bar) front squats, lunges, OHS OK? Thanks in advance - really appreciate all your advise throughout numerous posts.

God Bless

Tim
Yeah, if there's no pain. If there's discomfort it's questionable... I would error on the side of no ebcause there are other good substitutes you can still use for some of the exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stover View Post
Steven,
Thanks for the advice & links. You mentioned focusing on eccentrics for strength training. I've been doing calf raises / heel drops. Working on getting to one legged sets of 15 - 20 reps without discomfort. Are there any other movements you would recommend?
Nah. Are you doing 5-7s negatives?

Good control with no shaking?

If you can do these fairly well for 2-3 sets of those 15-20 reps then here's another one you can do that will probably be difficult.

Go into a 1/2 to 3/4 pistol (you can start higher with the 3/4 pistol but eventually want to work your way down), and try to do a slow 5s heel raise, then 5s slow lower back down to the ground.

Primarily works soleus with some gastroc thrown in... almost guaranteed that your muscle control will be shaking though
Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Brian Stover

Profile:

I'm working on the control & shaking thing. I'm trying to do them without holding onto anything for support/balance. Not quite there yet though.

Another question - I have been doing the calf raises & negatives with shoes on (Tigers). Does shoes on or off make a difference?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Shoe off is better...

getting minimalist shoes is also a good idea,

Yeah, definitely work on eliminating shaking, and progressing to no help with balance... beefore you move onto pistol variation
Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Brian Stover

Profile:

Quote:
Shoe off is better...

getting minimalist shoes is also a good idea,

Yeah, definitely work on eliminating shaking, and progressing to no help with balance... beefore you move onto pistol variation
Thanks for the all the help!