CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Michael Tong

Profile:
Under a separate thread, I posted that I am back to the drawing board on my diet plan. Here's what I come up with. Please help critique my plan.

Me: 38 y.o., 5' 7", 179 lbs, about 17% BF

Activity: fairly strict WOD, plus some other exercises (which is usually what I think I need to work on, but sticking with same body parts as WOD). Usually work out between 6pm - 9pm.

Before: my so called "pseudo-Zone" diet was a farce - I was just eye-balling. I really need to measure, if for nothing else, to benchmark how much I am eating. Plus, I was eating a lot of rice.

Goals: Gain strength and lean out to 9% BF - hopefully have a six-pack at that BF level. I may want to go lower but want to see how I feel sustaining 9% first. Also, would like to gain mass in legs. I am bulkier up top, and not as balanced in my legs.

My CFT a few weeks ago was 705 (BP 255, Press 155, DL 295). I'd like to achieve BP = 2xBW, Press = 1.25xBW, and DL=2.5xBW by the end of the year. I feel like if I stay around 175 lbs body weight, leaned out, it would be a decent weight for me. I am no expert so I don't even know if these goals are achievable or just too lofty but I'll see how close I can get. I also would like to hit a 6 min. mile (no idea where I am now but no where close 6 min.), sub 1:30 min. row (1:47 now) for 500m, 50 pull-ups (20 now), and 10 MUs (0 now), just as a few other benchmarks.

Now: I've gone cold-turkey and cut out grains, bread, rice, sugar, salt, legumes, potatoes, etc. I want to do Zone/Paleo. I am also doing IF, eating from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm only, everyday. I've been doing this for just a week, and the hunger pangs have been tolerable. I hope this will go away after another week or so. I drink 2 quarts of green tea and another 2 quarts of water a day. I'd like to only cheat 2 times a month (I have a weakness for Chinese Dim Sum), but nothing too bad for me. I consume alcohol 1-2 times a month, if that.

For meal-planning ease (because I am a bit lazy to plan different meals within the same day), I am eating 1 lb of lean meats (sirloin 2 days, chicken 2 days, fish 2 days, and pork 1 day). On top of that I usually do one scoop of ON Whey Protein. I think I will add 2 organic eggs on WOD days. I think I need 21-22 blocks. Fresh/frozen veggies and fruit + good fats to round out the blocks.

One of the many things I am not sure of is whether to do anything for PWO. If the experts here think I should, I would probably do a little chicken or shrimp fried rice afterwards, probably no more than a cup cooked. Or maybe I should move my workouts to the morning - I don't know...

Other questions are: are the fitness goals I've listed sufficient or should I have other benchmarks? Should I adjust my IF window?

I have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Costco near me. The Costco just opened up and I think it is now my new best friend, along with this web site.

All opinions welcomed as I still have a LOT to learn. Sorry for the long post.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Looks good to me. Not much to add expect be patient and consistent and the results will follow. Remember this is lifestyle we are after, not a sprint to the finish line.

AS for PWO nutrition, I would sidestep the traditional concept of CHO's and PRO's and eat a typical Paleo meal (P/F). In fact, I'd limit my carbs to in-season fruits and veggies only at least until your bodyfat reaches single digits. At that point you could gradually re-intro starchy high gi carbs back into your diet (PWO only).

Your research shows. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Jeff Dale

Profile:

(Message edited by jeff_d on January 14, 2007)
Old 01-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Looks like you got respectful strength #'s already! Those will be some great goals to achieve.
Costco has become my best friend for meat,nuts,veggies and fruit. They have good fish oil tablets too.

Seems like the # of blocks may be high for fat loss. Also the IF looks a little short, time wise. I do mine from 9pm to 11am. More experienced people may chime in a help you with that as I'm new to IF.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Michael Tong

Profile:
Steve, thanks for the input. If I read you correctly, I will cut out the rice for PWO for now, and re-introduce if I can or if I even want to down the road. Regarding life-style, not a sprint: yeah, I tend to jump into things head first after the initial investigation looks appealing enough. I do this with almost everything, so going cold-turkey with Zone/Paleo and IF is in my nature.

Jeff, I have to clarify... I am doing 20ish blocks of P only. I am probably doing 2-3 blocks of carbs for a 4 block meal, and maybe 2-3 blocks of fat per 4 block meal. I will do this until I get to my BF% level, and then gradually go to Zone ratios. Does this sound appropriate for weight loss? Also, I wasn't as clear in my post about fasting. I am eating from 10am-6pm, so fasting from 6pm-10am. Is 16 hours sufficient for fasting?

If it looks like PWO nutrition is needed, I will likely change my fast from 8pm - 11am, and keep my workouts to be around 6p-8pm. Luckily, I work for myself at home so the timing of food is generally not a problem.

Please keep the comments coming.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Sorry Michael, I miss read your post. Yeah 16 hours is definitely long enough.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:
I typically fast for about 20 hrs starting around 7-8pm thru the night until about 5pm the next day.
Followed this protocol for the last 4-5 months and it has worked well. Recently experimented with fasting on an every other day basis and the results (not to mention convenience) is even greater. Definately an overall improvement in sustained energy levels, sleep, recovery, body comp, and just general well-being.

Michael-
Don't mean to ramble on here about myself in your thread. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is once you get comfortable with fasting, try doing it EOD. Constant experimentation is def the way to go when it comes to this stuff.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I am assuming that it is a typo but the CrossFit Total includes the Squat, Press, and Deadlift. In your post you have listed it as the Bench Press, Press, and Deadlift.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
Michael Tong

Profile:
Steve, I don't think you are rambling at all. Thanks for sharing. I will consider EOD fasting as things settle down, and I begin to tweak and experiment a bit.

Nick, you are absolutely right. It should be Squat at 255, not BP. The numbers are correct to my ability to squat; just typed BP for some stupid reason. Sorry about that.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Michael Tong

Profile:
Well, I am now 10 days into my new plan. I don't know if I should be pleased or worried because I've dropped about 5 pounds already, and it seems like most of it from my belly as I can start to see some faint ab definition (hopefully none of it was muscle loss).

I think kicking the rice cold-turkey did the trick. I am still measuring but I have to say, counting blocks is not a big of a deal as I thought it would be.

In terms of my work out, it has been WOD (as close to Rx as possible) plus I do 5x5 back-squats and BP on Day 1 of each CrossFit cycle, and 5x5 DL and shoulder press on Day 3 of each cycle. On Day 2, I usually row for 3 - 5000m above and beyond the WOD. I am actually resting on rest days for a change. I think I still need to fix my sleeping habits, as I feel a bit sluggish when I wake.

As far as the eating plan, it seems to be working out well. It's a little boring, eating the same meats for 4-5 meals a day but for now, ease in planning trumps intra-day meal variety. I've also given up coffee cold-turkey (which basically dumped a lot of Equal from my diet). I think I am about 95% Paleo-friendly foods. I've given myself permission to cheat only 3 meals (not 3 days) a month, so I have to plan judiciously. When I do cheat, I don't mean junk food - it is usually Dim Sum or a meal out where I don't count blocks.

I am doing 20 blocks of P, 15 blocks of C, and 15 blocks of F. My C blocks are 2 from veggies and 1 from fruits with each meal. When I get hungry, I just drink tea or water, or maybe a few almonds and some broccoli florets to curb the appetite. I have also been doing IF - initially every night, but now EOD. I may eventually go to a longer fasting window (like 18-20 hours) but only fast on rest days just to make it easier.

If my calculation is correct, my goal is to lean out until I get to 167 lbs (which should put me at 9% BF, assuming my LBM doesn't change) and then bump up the F blocks if I need more energy and keep the P and C blocks fairly steady. I may overshoot my goal and get to 164 lbs first, then adjust my blocks afterwards - this is to compensate for my crude caliper measurements of my belly fat. I think my P blocks are a little higher than I need, but I think I want to stay at a body weight of around 175 lbs, so I will want to pack on muscle after I lean out.

For the nutrition experts here, is this the correct approach? It seems like this is working, but just want to hear from the experts out there in CF-land.

Also, can someone recommend a good body fat analyzer? I bought a scale with a BFA and it was way off in weight and BF. Right now, I am just using $10 plastic calipers that I have.