CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Neil Beevers

Profile:
Hi Folks.

Im interested in the Zone approach to Nutrition, i.e. having a calorie ratio of 40/30/30.

What I want to know, is how do I find out the best calorie intake for fat loss? I know that I should be taking in less calories than I am burning off, but how do I work this out?

I read somewhere that you should be taking in around 12-15 calories to each pound of bodyweight to maintain weight.

How accurate is this?

Yours,
Beev
Old 05-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
What's your height, weight, fat%, normal activity level? Someone smarter than me will be able to tell you how many blocks you should be eating with that data.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Neil Beevers

Profile:
Hmm, Lets see:

Height: 5"11
Weight: 184lbs.
Fat %: probably between 15-20% (I used to weigh around 155lbs!)

As far as my current activity level, Im currently not doing WOD, but im just getting back into training and am boxing 2 times a week and doing a crossfit workout 2 times a week (I just look through the archives and pick out a workout!) and go through it. I know this is not taking full advantage of everything that crossfit has to offer, but its working okay so far!

Hope that can help you guys out, plus, I dont know alot about the Zone diet, other than that it advocates the ratio of Protein/Carb/Fat that I stated earlier. So, what exactly is a block?

Yours,
Beev
Old 05-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Neil-

Start with 16 blocks per day. To find out more about what this means do a search on this site for Zone Diet, Blocks etc - you will get a ton of good info. Also the Zone website has good info and any Zone book. I recommend Enter the Zone, A Week in the Zone or Zone Meals in Seconds.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Nicole,

Could you help me out too? I've been trying to follow the Zone as best I can, but I'm having two problems. First, I'm feeling "ok" but not great. Kinda generally tired. Second, I'm not experiencing the drop in body fat that I'm supposed to. There's still more fat hanging out around my belly button than I'd like.

Any way, I'm a 19 (soon to be twenty!) year old male, 5 foot 11. I weigh 150-155 (I need to GAIN weight and lose fat!). I'm pretty lean, but obviously not lean enough for my tastes (damn "stubborn" fat!). Any way, I do the WOD to the best of my meager ability and usually fit in at least another lift at some other time during the day. So, I do "two a days" in the weightroom, I guess.

I thought I was eating too much so I've been gradually cutting back on blocks over the past weeks. This week I'm down to 10-11 blocks per day (plus some fish oil). I eat three 3-4 block meals a day.

Thanks Nicole. This diet stuff is driving me nuts!

Matt O'Donnell
Old 05-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Matt, that sounds like way too little food (10-11 blocks) for your size, activity, age, and (probably) metabolism. I'm not quite 5'10", 150-155 lbs, and was aiming for 16 blocks (based on the CrossFit Journal about the Zone) but frequently ended up with less. I lost fat and gained some lean mass, but I haven't put on weight. I haven't been weighing my food lately and have fallen off the diet wagon, which has hurt my WOD performance, I can tell. Currently, I'm trying to get it back together. My goal is to support muscle gain but not fat gain. I would like to be stronger but not weigh too much more, mostly b/c I think that helps with the recreational rock climbing and mountaineering that I like to do (easy stuff, not hard core here).

Any idea what your body fat percentage is? Perhaps what you see as stubborn fat really isn't that much! One way to tell is whether you have anywhere from a 2-pack to an 8-pack in the abs (although I don't know the ranges for that).

Also, the Zone calls for eating 5 times per day. At only 3x/day, you're not eating often enough.

Finally, at 19 years old, you may still be growing, which requires fuel (calories).

What was it that made you think you were eating too much, just the stomach roll? Have you been weighing your food? Have you read _Enter the Zone_ (or equivalent) or gotten CrossFit Journal #21? Have you been following the food prescriptions of the Zone to some degree (meaning using low GI fruits and vegetables for your carbs)?

My WOD ability is pretty meager, and I find that it drops further if I have a week where I'm only getting 10-11 blocks.

Best,
Rene'
Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Neil Beevers

Profile:
Thanks for the info Nicole. Does that mean 16 blocks of each Nutrient (P/C/F), or 16 total?

Yours,
Beev
Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
Neil, 16 blocks of each.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Hi Matt-

Zoning properly and consistently following the WOD (at whatever level you can) will definitely help you lose fat and gain muscle. It is hard work but otherwise it really is that simple.

16 blocks a day is right for you. 10-11 is far too little food for someone your size. If you are not getting enough food you will not gain muscle, lose fat or be healthy.

How long have you been zoning? Also give me a sense of how you are zoning - do you weigh and measure and balance meals? What types of foods do you eat?

Old 05-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Nicole,

I've been trying to Zone since March, I'd say. The first few months of the year I was in a transitional stage, trying to get off my "low to no carb" eating plan. I feel alot better now eating lots of fruits and vegetables like I did before my low carb fanaticism.

I think I've been getting the ratios right, but weighing and measuring is tricky for me. I'm in college right now, so I eat my meals in the dining hall (Which is also why I haven't been eating snacks...the only foods I could take out of the cafeteria would be apples and hard boiled eggs...)

Anyway, what I did was take some measuring cups in the dining hall with me awhile ago. I measured the volume of the bowls, etc that they have down there. When in doubt, I use those measured bowls or "eyeball" portions with my hand/palm/fist.

My breakfast is always eggs and fruit. My lunch and dinner are usually salads with some meat or fish and some steamed, sauteed, or roasted vegetables for carb blocks.

I use almonds and olive oil for my fat blocks.

When it comes to meat, I try to select a palm sized chicken breast or slice of meat or something. Or I fill up about a half a cup of tuna or something from the salad bar.
I eat alot of hard boiled eggs (because 1 egg equals 1 block)...So that's my protein.

And I only eat favorable vegetables, so I'm less worried about being exact with brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, mixed veggies and the like. Of course, my salad greens count too. When I need more carb blocks, I grab an apple...So that's carb blocks.

To sum it up
Fat-olive oil, almonds, canola oil

Protein-eggs, tuna fish, chicken, steak, etc

Carbs- Vegetables (raw):salad greens, carrots, spinach,
Vegetables (cooked):brocoli, yellow squash, cauliflower, zuchinni, snap peas, peppers, mushrooms, green beans...
Fruit: Apples mostly...some melon too

That's about it, Nicole. Thanks for the help...

P.S. Should I just add some snacks in to get to 16 blocks?