CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Mikey D'Antignac

Profile:  
Hello, My name is Mikey, I'm 23, Married. Looks like I'll be visiting this site for quite awhile.

The story begins with I like to rid skateboards. Longboards and the standard. Standard skateboards I like to get kind of a agressive with. The longboards are just for cruising. Well one would think I messed up my right knee on the standard board. Nope, the longboard. I was traveling down a pretty nice hill. Somehow I got the speed wobbles and ended up in bushes, dirt, and ground cover (thankfully It wasn't the pavement). Anyways I went to the ER doctor said I had a pretty bad sprain but I should be walking in 2-4 weeks.

Well yesterday would mark the start of week 2, and to be safe I went to an orthopedic doctor who told me I have a torn ACL and that I will definately need an MRI. The MRI shows that it basically looks like I don't even have an ACL. I have a partial meniscus tear, and bone edema.

So now I pretty much have to consider my options which It seems like my only option is scary. Surgery. But I want to walk again. I'm completely envious of people that can walk. I've pretty much given up the idea of skateboaring but I really want to be able to continue backpacking and hiking as I'm a photographer. So in order to live this up I guess surgery is my only option. Not to mention I feel incompetent as a husband not being able to cook and clean with my wife. Let alone feelings of I don't know what because I feel I couldn't protect her in any way.

I need to talk to my doctor further about this. To see how PT is going to work out, and how surgery is going to work out. I just want to be able to hike and take care of my girlie.

I can walk on my right knee slowly with crutches. I can stand on it without it buckling no crutches. So anyway words of wisdom? Advice maybe? Tips on getting back into the swing of things slowly? Thank you for your time.

Mikey
Old 06-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Sorry to hear that Mikey that is rough. Unfortunately if your ACL is completely torn, there is nothing to do but surgery. The good news is that with a good surgeon and a good PT you can get a long ways back and doing pretty much anything you want, it just takes a long time. It would be too early to start offering any kind of suggestions, but keep us informed of how you are doing. I would continue to do as much as you can with your upperbody(Overhead Press, Pull-ups, etc.) to help make the wait shorter.

God Bless
Old 06-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
PLEASE call the good people at the Egoscue Method clinics before you let the doctors cut you. Maybe the Egoscue folks can help. The EM is a form of non-medical pain relief.

http://egoscue.com/htdocs/contact.asp

Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I like Egoscue, everything I have read about them looks really good, but I don't think his problem is pain. From my understanding his ACL is completely torn, which is not something that just heals. Now I would not discourage anyone from calling for a second opinion or alternative treatment, but if you can show me an alternative treatment for a COMPLETELY torn ACL I would love to see it.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Mikey,
get your leg as strong as you can before they cut you. Pre-hab goes a long way toward a speedy post-op recovery.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Adam Noble

Profile:
You don't have to give up the skateboard permanently. I know a ton of people from snowboarding who have blown their acls and come back to ride at the same level. That said, it does take time. Don't sweat surgery too much, its just not worth getting worked up over. If it comes down to surgery, its out of your hands, relax and focus on getting better (I've had six so far, from joint reconstruction to much scarier). Feel better.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Mikey D'Antignac

Profile:  
Well I got the full report yesterday. ACL is completely torn to the point it looks like its not there on the MRI. Sprained LCL and MCL although not torn. PCL is perfectly in tact. I have a small tear in my posterior lateral meniscus horn. Alot of edma around the sprained ligaments. Also I have bone bruising on my Femoral Chondyle and Tibia Plateau which is causing more edema. I need to schedule physical therapy soon. Hopefully all goes well!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
Mikey D'Antignac

Profile:  
Update: So I started physical therapy Monday. It went well for the most part. My knee only slipped twice. I had 85 degrees of ROM. Which isn't great. I was feeling great though. They had me working on frontward/backward steps and side steps thats where my leg slipped twice. ALso with the Lachmans test he found that my MCL gave a wee bit to much.

Today they measured my ROM it was 120 which they said was good. So he had me try out the bikes for 10 minutes. It was great no pain no slipage. I was walking great with one crutch. They had me do the forward/backward steps and side steps again. I was almost done with my sets for 3 of each. The 4th to the last forward step I did I think I put too much weight on the knee. It popped horribly loud to make the physical therapists eyes bug out. It hurt like no bodies business. I continued doing the exercise in pain. He had me do some simple quad exercises for about 20 minutes which hurt as well. Then he had me do about 10 minutes of hamstring exercises. The funny thing about this is, as soon I turned on my stomach and my knee pressed against the table along with my entire leg weight my knee popped and the pain went away. So he is thinking either my meniscus or broken ACL got caught in between in joint to give it the popping sound and pain.

So now I'm back to phase one. Simple steps and simple home exercises. Hopefully I'll have a better report Friday.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Sounds pretty typical stuff mike. I have worked with people that chronically got that "catching" you describe, and man it hurts.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
Mikey,
I have had 8 knee surgeries and I came back stronger from all of them. I was competing in World Cup Alpine skiing and had acl mcl and meniscus tears over 2 injuries, both knees. Made the 1994 Olympic Team within a year of my second tear. You WILL get back to everything you do now, you will be seasoned and smarter and better. PROMISE. Good Luck.