CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Eric B. Willis

Profile:
I've been running my *** off preparing for the Marine Corps' Officer Candidates school and I've developed pain below my calf muscle (between bottom of calf and ankle) on both legs. I slowly built up speed and distance and mostly run on trails and a track. The pain is most acute after my run and usually not present during the run after warming up. It also hurts ascending and descending stairs. It's a dull pain that doesn't really go away. Ice helps temporarily, analgesics not at all. I'm looking to address the root of the problem not palliatives.

Doing plyometrics at my boxing/bjj gym I injured the shin of right leg. I think it's related to the running I've been doing and the plyo aggravated it more. This injury was exacerbated by a physical test I did a week ago. Since then I've been barely able to walk. The pain is mostly on the outside of my shin with a little on the inside. It basically feels like a SEVERE shin splint. The pain has now radiated up my leg to my hip. This is only on my right leg.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas about what's wrong or what I should do. I'm reluctant (but not opposed) to see a Dr. because I don't want to pay to hear take advil and rest. Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Regards,
Eric Willis
Old 02-07-2006, 02:13 AM   #2
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Eric,

the first problem is a cramped soleus muscle. Massage it with the knee of the other leg while sitting, pressing hard and deep, with short, slow strokes going in one direction for about a minute or so, several times a day.

The second problem I don't know. Could be anything from cramped leg stabilizers (adductors, anterior tibialis, peroneus) over injured tendons up to a stress fracture of your shin. I would probably go to a doctor with that one (tip: find one who is a regular runner, he will know - the other's probably won't). Is the pain always "on" when the leg is loaded (= structural problem) or does it get better with warming up (= muscular problem)?

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 02-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Alex MacRae

Profile:  
I have what I think is a similar issue in my left shin, which I was about to create a thread about when I saw this article.

I've been doing Crossfit for about 6 weeks now, after 3 years of hardgainer type weight lifting, and 3 years of high school running before that. I'm 21yo, 5'9", 155#, and I consider myself to be athletic, but I haven't been running at all in the last 6 months, since I was diagnosed with bilateral chondromalacia, so my WODS have been sans running.

Here's the issue: for about 5 days I've noticed a sore spot on my shin, about 1/3 of the way up to the knee. It's about an inch high, and half as wide, and is directly on the font of the shin bone. It feels very similar to the tibial stress fracture I had three years ago, but with NO RUNNING this time.

I have what I consider an excellent diet for a college student, avoiding chicken and red meat but eating fish often, and of course loading up on fruits and veggies. My last workouts were C&J 65# 30x, Diane (with 135#), and snatch practice.

What could this be? Might is just be an oddly concentrated shin splint? Could C&J have caused this so suddenly (after having little practice before)?

I've googled and searched the site, looking everywhere but the "injury" CFJ. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Alex MacRae

Profile:  
Ok, false alarm.:crazy: I just talked to two of my athletic a cappella buddies and...

Dx: localized shin splint caused by too many cleans and weak shins
:triangle_down:Eric, sounds like you should try this too:
Rx: shin-strengthening exercises and ice daily. No cleans/jerks until I'm pain free. Nothing without good shoes on. No squatting/running/jumps for the next two days.

If you have further advice about prevention of this and other injuries, I'd be glad to hear it. But when I thought "who do I talk to first before checking it out with a trainer/MD?" the Crossfit community came up first.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
I have a nephew that just finished his MCT in San Diego. He is now in Florida in Marine Avionics School. He used Dr. Scholl's inserts. I also told him about the proper shoe wear and foot placement when you run, heel-toe..heel-toe. It helps a lot in the long run and he has not had anymore foot problems. I use to train him before his Marine Corps boot camp days to get him ready because of my multiple marathon background experience. Good luck in the future. Simper Fi and Get Some!!
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/20274.gif
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
Well Eric shin splints don't usually radiate away from the shin. When you say that it is moving up your leg that kind of tells me it is a lot more severe than a mere shin splint. Is the leg warmer than the other? Joint pain? could be an infection, compartment syndrome? Don't want to scare you but it's not gonna go away on its own. You should definately see a Doctor ASAP.