CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
Kirksman Teo

Profile:
Running a strength biased CF gym

HI guys, I posted at the WOD section, but apparently that's the wrong section. Reposting this message here now, hope to get some responses.

I'm opening a Crossfit gym, but coming from the Olympic weightlifting/strength background, I'd like my clients to reap the benefits of strength and cross training.

Since we run 1 hour classes, I'm going to have my WOD's setup like this;

1. Warm-Ups. 10 minutes

- Explosive movements
- Static hip flexor, ankle, shoulder stretches
- Glute and hip activation exercises. Unilateral and bilateral.

2. Main Strength/Hypertrophy Workout. 20 minutes.

- Choose either the squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, push presses, pull-ups, etc.
- Work up to a 3-5RM.
- Depending on the phase of training, should it be hypertrophy day, make clients do 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps after working to 3-5RM

3. WOD that complements the main strength workout. 15 minutes.

- If it was deadlifts that was done as main strength/hypertrophy workout, will select back/hip/Plyo exercises

- Back - Pull-Ups (Increase muscular density/strength of back)
- Hip - Hang power cleans (Improve speed past knee)
- Plyo - Box Jumps (Improve explosiveness)

So WOD would be;

Kipping Pull-Ups (20 reps)
Hang Power Cleans (3 reps with a 5RM)
Box Jumps (10 reps)

AMRAP, 10 minutes

4. Stretch, roll and cooldown (5 minutes)

What do you guys think of this? I'm also running a daily no strength component WOD for those who are less interested in the strength aspect. It'll likely be the same WOD, but with an additional 2 rounds, or 5 minutes if it's an AMRAP workout. This will enable me to analyze the progression of the clients both with and without the strength program.

I'm actually quite confident that the ones doing the strength metcon, will improve in more aspects than those with only the WOD. Back when I was training in China with the university weightlifting team (Zhuhai), I asked them on the last day, to do Cindy with me. The ones that got suckered into it, was a 94KG that squats 290KG with a snatch of 180KG and CNJ of 200KG, a 69KG that snatches 145KG and jerks 180KG with a back squat of 250KG and their coach, who power cleaned 140KG at I think 50+ years old, without any warmup. I squat 210KG and snatch 125, CNJ, 155KG.

Every one of them hit 20 rounds and this was only because they realized after the first round, if they went all out, they'd be exhausted so they waited to do their sets to the minute. I did 17 rounds and called it a day.

Any thoughts from the more experienced Crossfitters?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Re: Running a strength biased CF gym

I think it's a great idea and a smart way to go - though I'd also have days without strength or oly lifts and possibly longer wods (20 min - 30 min) + skill work.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

My only input is hypertrophy is either low on the list or undesirable for almost all my members. Maybe a little for some of the guys but the women are terrified of it. You might be aiming for a niche membership but my ladies are 60% of my memberships and I couldn't keep my doors open without them.

I aim to keep strength gain to the maximum and hypertrophy to a minimum. Everyone seems very happy with this. I have a lot of folks who can move big weight for their body weight.

Every true body builder that has come through my gym always reverts back to their old ways and doesn't stick around. I find body builders used to chasing hypertrophy and long distance runners as groups can almost never give up their old ways.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Steve Loeding

Profile:

i missed the 3-5 x 8-10 reps - you'll want to emphasize strength and explosiveness vs muscle gains - you do this with 1-5 reps / set, not 8-10 - being over musclular will not improve fitness scores vs being stronger / leaner
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Kirksman Teo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
My only input is hypertrophy is either low on the list or undesirable for almost all my members. Maybe a little for some of the guys but the women are terrified of it. You might be aiming for a niche membership but my ladies are 60% of my memberships and I couldn't keep my doors open without them.

I aim to keep strength gain to the maximum and hypertrophy to a minimum. Everyone seems very happy with this. I have a lot of folks who can move big weight for their body weight.

Every true body builder that has come through my gym always reverts back to their old ways and doesn't stick around. I find body builders used to chasing hypertrophy and long distance runners as groups can almost never give up their old ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
i missed the 3-5 x 8-10 reps - you'll want to emphasize strength and explosiveness vs muscle gains - you do this with 1-5 reps / set, not 8-10 - being over musclular will not improve fitness scores vs being stronger / leaner
Right, so a little less hypertrophy. Will have to see what the clients expect. Our Crossfit gym, is actually combined with the standard gyms, so we're expecting some clients from the bodybuilding side.

Wait, so you guys don't use higher repetitions to build foundational strength?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Kirksman Teo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
I think it's a great idea and a smart way to go - though I'd also have days without strength or oly lifts and possibly longer wods (20 min - 30 min) + skill work.
Yeah, maybe once every 2 weeks, I'll put a day, where they'll do more skill work. A lot of data to keep.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Peter Villa

Profile:

I like this kind of programming and I think it's a great idea. Here's an example of what my box does. My coach mixes strength in the beginning, and a metcon at the end. Sometimes the metcon is light or heavy. But regardless, we usually start with a heavy lift in the beginning. Today's is Max Effort DL's. See below.

A. DL ME

B. 3RFT: 10 cap

10 DL/60% of A *Max: (275/185)

50 DU
Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirksman Teo View Post
Wait, so you guys don't use higher repetitions to build foundational strength?
Correct, all strength training is x5, x3, x1.

Push ups, pull ups and barbell work in met-cons covers the rest. Usually light enough and for enough reps that it doesn't encourage much hyper trophy.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Kirksman Teo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Villa View Post
I like this kind of programming and I think it's a great idea. Here's an example of what my box does. My coach mixes strength in the beginning, and a metcon at the end. Sometimes the metcon is light or heavy. But regardless, we usually start with a heavy lift in the beginning. Today's is Max Effort DL's. See below.

A. DL ME

B. 3RFT: 10 cap

10 DL/60% of A *Max: (275/185)

50 DU
So it's a deadlift maximum 1RM, but what does 3RFt....never mind...idiot brain figured it means "3 Rounds for time". Yeah I love short WOD's like that. I think it really gets the best of both worlds for most average trainees.

Btw, how do you guys log? I log by stating weight, sets, reps, tempo (where applicable) how I feel for that set and generally how I feel on that day. For example, if I were to base off my training y'day, my log may look like;

Block Snatch:

Empty bar x 2 x warmup
50KG x 3 x 4
70KG x 2 x 3
100KG x 2 x 2
110KG x 2 x 2
120KG x 2 x 1
103KG x 5 x 3

Hips shooting up too soon, difficult holding angle, hips shoot forward because of early rise, causing hip bang into bar at heavy weight. Work on lower back strength needed.

Snatch Grip Deadlifts With Pause

120KG x 2 x 5
140KG x 3 x 5 (132 tempo)
160KG x 3 x 3
150KG x 3 x 3

1 second ascend
3 seconds pause
2 seconds descend

Correction done. Focused on hip position, maintained back angle throughout lift.

WOD

Behind Neck Push Press x 5
Box Jumps x 5
Kipping Pull-Ups x 15

Complete 3 rounds

Box jumps had too many repetitions, need to drop to 3. Can increase kipping pull-ups to 20, relatively easy at 15 reps.

How is logging done for you guys?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Kirksman Teo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Correct, all strength training is x5, x3, x1.

Push ups, pull ups and barbell work in met-cons covers the rest. Usually light enough and for enough reps that it doesn't encourage much hyper trophy.
That's very interesting.

Strength training ideologies really differ from continent to continent, country to country, even coach to coach within the same nation.

In Russia, the coach we were assigned believed in 8 sets of 8 for squats and pulls with 5 reps. Training with her was the worst torture EVER. Because of the insane amount of repetition and loading, we found ourselves VERY muscular and mobility and strength improved anywhere between 10-15% (and this is after 5 years of 5-8 hours a day training), our conditioning was godlike, but our snatch and clean and jerk technique suffered. I believe it was because the squats and pulls really zapped us out.

When we switched coach (He was training mates with Dmitry Klokov's father apparently) that guy believed in complexes much more. My competition lifts went up, but squat strength went down. Strangely, strangely, my pull strength shot up too.

In a few ex-soviet nations and China, they switch coaches based on phases in training. SO each coach is actually specialized in one phase of training! They then trade data and see what each coach is doing differently and evaluate results. Then again, when you have as many coaches as a country's athletes you could probably do that.

Last edited by Kirksman Teo : 03-05-2012 at 05:54 PM.