CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Alex Beasley

Profile:
Since ditching 90% of gluten and processed foods, anyone else react like hell to it?

Yesterday we had a friend of ours over for dinner. She's been through hell the past couple of years, with a lot of stress, death in the family and now her eldest son moving out of town, so we figured we'd cook one of the best "all my problems will now disappear" meals, the classic English roast dinner.

A slab of topside, drenched in gravy. Beans and carrots. Potatoes and, so good you'd never say know, Yorkshire puds. Then it was followed up by a cheesecake - but not just any cheesecake. A blackberry/blackberry jam covered cheesecake. For those couple of hours, I was in heaven.

And now, it feels as though my gut's gone to hell via a tsunami. I feel bloated, inflamed and my gut feels like a puffed up, mouldy sponge. Now, I did have several Yorkshire puds last night...and a couple of slices of cheesecake, but I never imagined I'd feel like this. It feels like the less and less of gluten/processed foods I have, the worse I feel when I have some at a family/social event of some kind. I'm the son of a gluten intolerant woman whose terrified of fructose, but I've never had it especially bad myself.

Is this kind of feeling common when breaking the habit? Why does it feel so damn bad? Thanks

(This is equal parts 'dear god this is uncomfortable, I need to vent' and 'why does it feel so bad each time?')
Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Since ditching 90% of gluten and processed foods, anyone else react like hell to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Beasley View Post

Is this kind of feeling common when breaking the habit? Why does it feel so damn bad? Thanks
Yep, it tends to cause a gluten "hangover" for the majority who have cut it out, even when it is a rare "cheat". The reason for this is because if you do have gluten (or other grain protein) sensitivity, your intestinal lining will build up a wall of mucus to try and prevent damage when you are eating gluten regularly. By cleaning up your diet and removing gluten, you allow this to heal and effectively stop guarding itself from these "attacks", so the thick mucus wall you've built up over years of bad eating is gone. Your gut is going to be way healthier, but also more susceptible to react negatively when you do eat gluten.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Alex Beasley

Profile:
Re: Since ditching 90% of gluten and processed foods, anyone else react like hell to

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I guess that would explain why it feels as though my gut's a giant, mouldy sponge, and my mum (thanks for the genes!) agreed that that's how a bad gluten reaction feels.

Thankfully it's calmed down a bit now...I'm definitely staying away from sugary crap, and if I ever indulge in some gluten, I'm gonna do it sparingly.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Daniel Dean

Profile:

I went on a bit of a wheat bender two weekends ago (tons of crackers, rolls and apple pie) and my insides we definitely not right for a couple days.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Yesterday we had a friend of ours over for dinner. She's been through hell the past couple of years, with a lot of stress, death in the family and now her eldest son moving out of town, so we figured we'd cook one of the best "all my problems will now disappear" meals, the classic English roast dinner.

A slab of topside, drenched in gravy. Beans and carrots. Potatoes and, so good you'd never say know, Yorkshire puds. Then it was followed up by a cheesecake - but not just any cheesecake. A blackberry/blackberry jam covered cheesecake. For those couple of hours, I was in heaven.

And now, it feels as though my gut's gone to hell via a tsunami. I feel bloated, inflamed and my gut feels like a puffed up, mouldy sponge. Now, I did have several Yorkshire puds last night...and a couple of slices of cheesecake, but I never imagined I'd feel like this. It feels like the less and less of gluten/processed foods I have, the worse I feel when I have some at a family/social event of some kind. I'm the son of a gluten intolerant woman whose terrified of fructose, but I've never had it especially bad myself.

(This is equal parts 'dear god this is uncomfortable, I need to vent' and 'why does it feel so bad each time?')
So you had roast beef and gravy with beans, carrots, potatoes and several Yorkshire puddings followed by a couple of slices of blackberry/blackberry jam covered cheesecake and you now feel ill. Why are you blaming gluten for your disomfort when it's seems obvious that you simply ate too much?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Alex Beasley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
So you had roast beef and gravy with beans, carrots, potatoes and several Yorkshire puddings followed by a couple of slices of blackberry/blackberry jam covered cheesecake and you now feel ill. Why are you blaming gluten for your disomfort when it's seems obvious that you simply ate too much?
Because, as much as the above sounds, I probably didn't have as much as you imagine it to be. Keep in mind I'm from the UK, not the US, and it does seem to be the case that our servings are much smaller than yours. I don't call a total of 5 thin slices of beef, 4 small potatoes, 3 yorkshire puddings, spoons of veg and a couple of slices of a small (was shop bought) cheesecake enough to make me ill. I have eaten far, far more and not felt anything like this, and have eaten far, far less sugar and gluten and felt similar to this.

EDIT: I also had a pint of beer, known to be a bit dangerous, so combine that with the gluten from the puds and the metric **** ton of sugar in the cheesecake and it just adds up
Old 01-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
I don't call a total of 5 thin slices of beef, 4 small potatoes, 3 yorkshire puddings, spoons of veg and a couple of slices of a small (was shop bought) cheesecake enough to make me ill.
So you only had three Yorkshire puddings not several as you stated earlier?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Because, as much as the above sounds, I probably didn't have as much as you imagine it to be. Keep in mind I'm from the UK, not the US, and it does seem to be the case that our servings are much smaller than yours. I don't call a total of 5 thin slices of beef, 4 small potatoes, 3 yorkshire puddings, spoons of veg and a couple of slices of a small (was shop bought) cheesecake enough to make me ill. I have eaten far, far more and not felt anything like this, and have eaten far, far less sugar and gluten and felt similar to this.

EDIT: I also had a pint of beer, known to be a bit dangerous, so combine that with the gluten from the puds and the metric **** ton of sugar in the cheesecake and it just adds up
Darryl is from Manchester England. Just an FYI
Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Alex Beasley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
So you only had three Yorkshire puddings not several as you stated earlier?
I thought several meant 3 or more? If not, learnt something new today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Ah, thanks for the heads up - assumed it was Manchester, New Hampshire, since this board seems to mostly be made up of Americans.

Now he has no excuse for suggesting I overate - how can an Englishman have "too much" of a roast?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
My condolences to him then