CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #21
Renata Speranza

Profile:
Re: would you believe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
Carbs yes. High fat/low carb is not a miracle diet. It help people lose weight in the short term IF they have a healthy metabolism. Putting someone who has health issues on a low carb diet with no refeeds and high intensity training is a recipe for disaster. Its a fact that carbs are your bodies energy source, they are not the devil and you can certainly eat them and achieve weight loss.
I wonder..... I already ate "low carb" with my "starvation diet" ;-) but the problem was, that the general intake was too little. In a sports clinic they told me to eat much more carbs.... what I did. The result was, that I was craving for sweet stuff and certainly this isn't a healthy outcome of high carbs. So I didn't consider them anymore..... or just on such a cheat meal.

Besides that I am not loosing any weight I don't have any other health issues. No high blood pressure, no whatsoever. I have learned a lot these past months and maybe I just need some more patience. I had also my metabolic rate checked and it was quite high (for someone like me)...i.e. it was about 1920 kcal (resting metabolic rate).... so that's why they told me I should eat around 2000 kcal. At the beginning I was measuring my food. But I'm not doing that anymore. I eat more or less the same quantities... and I finally started to listen to my body (a huge achievement after a lifetime on diet!) and I eat, when I am hungry and I don't when I am not. Before that, I ate, when my plan said to do so.... So therefore now I am on a more natural approach of the whole thing. Maybe it just needs some more time to see any changes. My goal for my holidays is not to gain any weight and afterwards I'll start over again. I know from other people at my gym, that even with following 70% of paleo they lost quite a significant amount of weight.... and I was just curious to hear, if any other had heard of such a case ;-)

Besides the cheat meals I know that I can stick to it quite consequently. So I was not cheating all the time and there should have been some results.... strange enough... Well.... I know my whole health, mobility and strength improved.... and I'll take this last milestone too.

Thanks & Cheers
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I'm struggling with the same, so I can't really say much other than good luck. Other than that, I get the frustration of feeling like you eat super clean and don't get results, while others don't even try to clean up their diet and the fat flies off. That said eating 1000+ calories of junk in one day is not going to get you closer to your goals - 3 cookies and an ice cream is borderline binge, which is probably okay very rarely, but not on a weekly basis. If you know you have a cheat meal day, you should probably take it into consideration and eat less than you usually would, and limit your cheat to something more like 1 cookie or 1 scoop of ice cream, not large amounts of both.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasko Naumov View Post
I also eat carbs, but 90% of the time my nutrition is approximately 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs.
I don't diet because diets are not working.
In my experince this nutrition works 99% if the person is not cheating.
How long have you eaten this way?

Renata, check out 180degreehealth.blogspot.com (wfs) for the other side of the coin to all this low carb/high fat hype. It does not work for everyone long term, most see great results short term and then hit a wall. Very few eat in ketosis for long term and thrive.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #24
Vasko Naumov

Profile:

Quote:
How long have you eaten this way?
For 7 months with only 5-6 cheat days. The results are great. From lowest body fat in my life to great strength gains.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #25
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata Speranza View Post
I have been told, that those BF measurements are very precise (ultrasound) but I can't believe, that there hasn't been any change. It seems, that I dropped 1 size somehow...even though, when I measure parts of my body, there isn't any change either!!?!
If you dropped a full size and feel like you're getting fit, why do you care what the machines say?

Katherine
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #26
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I'm struggling with the same, so I can't really say much other than good luck. Other than that, I get the frustration of feeling like you eat super clean and don't get results, while others don't even try to clean up their diet and the fat flies off. That said eating 1000+ calories of junk in one day is not going to get you closer to your goals - 3 cookies and an ice cream is borderline binge, which is probably okay very rarely, but not on a weekly basis. If you know you have a cheat meal day, you should probably take it into consideration and eat less than you usually would, and limit your cheat to something more like 1 cookie or 1 scoop of ice cream, not large amounts of both.
Hi Rebecca
I haven't considered the fact, that replacing my lunch with an ice cream of 2 scoops and 3 cookies could be "bingeing"! Honestly. But OK, I get your point!

I whish you good luck then too. I know I've been eating clean (without any cookies or whatsoever cheat-meals) for a long time, but nothing happened anyway. Then I broke down....because I ate only 1300 kcal and doing CF 5 times a week...so you can imagine,what a calorie-intake I had. Now that I eat more, I feel great, I've got back my strength and sooner or later the weight will drop off.

@Katherine: Hi. Yes, basically you're right....why should I bother about machines... but still I do...because there is plenty of fat to get rid of...

Thanks for your input!!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #27
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i really wouldnt consider a couple of cookies and a couple of scoops of ice cream on a cheat day to be the problem. i think thats a bit excessive
Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #28
Christina Daley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata Speranza View Post
I wonder..... I already ate "low carb" with my "starvation diet" ;-) but the problem was, that the general intake was too little. In a sports clinic they told me to eat much more carbs.... what I did. The result was, that I was craving for sweet stuff and certainly this isn't a healthy outcome of high carbs. So I didn't consider them anymore..... or just on such a cheat meal.

Besides that I am not loosing any weight I don't have any other health issues. No high blood pressure, no whatsoever. I have learned a lot these past months and maybe I just need some more patience. I had also my metabolic rate checked and it was quite high (for someone like me)...i.e. it was about 1920 kcal (resting metabolic rate).... so that's why they told me I should eat around 2000 kcal. At the beginning I was measuring my food. But I'm not doing that anymore. I eat more or less the same quantities... and I finally started to listen to my body (a huge achievement after a lifetime on diet!) and I eat, when I am hungry and I don't when I am not. Before that, I ate, when my plan said to do so.... So therefore now I am on a more natural approach of the whole thing. Maybe it just needs some more time to see any changes. My goal for my holidays is not to gain any weight and afterwards I'll start over again. I know from other people at my gym, that even with following 70% of paleo they lost quite a significant amount of weight.... and I was just curious to hear, if any other had heard of such a case ;-)

Besides the cheat meals I know that I can stick to it quite consequently. So I was not cheating all the time and there should have been some results.... strange enough... Well.... I know my whole health, mobility and strength improved.... and I'll take this last milestone too.

Thanks & Cheers

I'm certainly by no means an expert in any fashion.. but I do have PCOS and have dealt with sugar cravings. Do you think you may have an addiction to sugar? I honestly cannot have any types of sugars (including any kind of "white" carb) or else I crave sugar and lose absolutely nothing.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #29
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Daley View Post
I'm certainly by no means an expert in any fashion.. but I do have PCOS and have dealt with sugar cravings. Do you think you may have an addiction to sugar? I honestly cannot have any types of sugars (including any kind of "white" carb) or else I crave sugar and lose absolutely nothing.

Hi Christina
I've just "googled" PCOS, because I didn't know this expression (sorry, English is not my mother tongue) and I must admit, that I haven't got a clue, if this could apply in my case. But for one thing I am sure, I am not a sugar addict.

I left out sugar and "white stuff" (carbs etc) for so many weeks, months and years and I didn't lose much weight.... I guess, I ruined my metabolism by all the diets in the past and I certainly drove my body crazy by starting doing crossfit! ;-) ha ha ha.... I didn't give him anything to eat and I was doing crossfit all the time.... by getting used to it after the first weeks it was getting more and more intense. I lived on about 800 kcal (if ever so many!) for about 6 months..... and that's why I was talking about "starvation"...

I don't think I am a sugar addict, only because I ate an ice cream. I can do without. It's not, that I need it to survive. My cravings came because they said I should add carbs (brown) into my nutrition... but this is something that my body doesn't like... so I have no problem to leave out the bad carbs either.

I just guess I have to get a little "cooler" on this all and just enjoy life... and I think my body knows well enough, when to lose weight again. I have already lost 25 kg in the past 5 years... now I kept my weight for a year, which also is a great achievement.

Now I'll go on holidays and afterwards I'll start over with my nutrition... i.e. paleo-style and no cheat-days for a while... and then I'm positive, that the results will come. I won't binge in holidays either but I just have to orientate myself in that place in order to buy my stuff. I can cook myself, so I'm in no worries...

But still I'll catch up with the doctor on my next visit on this issue.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day