CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Clay Crenshaw

Profile:
electrolytes?

if following the paleo diet how does one get electrolytes? other than Gatorade/sport drinks or milk what other foods contain them, if any?

just curious because about 75% of my workouts are performed outdoors, some of which are at 3 oclock in the afternoon (living in Texas BTW). During these outdoor workouts I sweat buckloads.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Justin J. Smith

Profile:
Re: electrolytes?

You can buy little packets called Power Paks. They are like 39 cents. full of electrolytes and vitamin c.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

bananas, sweet potatoes, add sea salt to your water.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

However did paleoman survive intense physical exertion without gatorade? Oh that's right They had water and a mineral rich diet! OR nature's sports drink.. coconut water.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I think you will be fine without adding anything. If you are concerned go get a blood test and have them check your electolyte balance.

Look at Hammer nutrition and nuun if you find you need to add. I wouldnt reccomend gatorade for daily use. Not all foods below are "paleo" but who cares really?

Potassium Foods

Potassium is in a multitude of fruits and vegetables especially leafy green vegetables such as spinach, turnip greens, collard greens and kale, bananas, tomatoes, oranges, melons, potatoes and sweet potatoes, prunes, raisins, peas and beans. Potassium is also in milk and salt substitutes made from potassium chloride. Potassium supports normal cell function, regulates blood pressure and prevents bone loss and kidney stones.

Magnesium Foods

Magnesium supports bone and teeth development, nerve and muscle function and enzyme activation. It is in leafy green vegetables, nuts, cereals, beans and tomato paste.

Calcium Foods

The body uses calcium for bone and teeth formation, blood clotting, muscle and enzyme function and normal heart rhythms. Calcium is most commonly found in milk and milk products. It is also in meat, fish with bones such as sardines, eggs, fortified breakfast cereals, beans and certain fruits such as dried apricots and figs, and vegetables such as asparagus and collard greens
Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
However did paleoman survive intense physical exertion without gatorade? Oh that's right They had water and a mineral rich diet! OR nature's sports drink.. coconut water.
Paleo man was also smart enough to sleep during the hottest part of the day, rather than doing Crossfit workouts.

To the OP, fruits and veggies have plenty of electrolytes. If you need to supplement, though, do it.

Katherine
Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

I use these with my liter sized water bottle. They seem to work really really well for me. Mild taste. Light. Refreshing. Cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergen-C-Elec.../dp/B002HWRY5S

Also, excellent for hangovers.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

most paleo foods are high in them already... fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds... if you find yourself needing extra do a google search for which fruits and veggies have the highest content. if you feel you need a supplement, there are a ton of good ones on the market that contain little to no calories or sugar. personally, i am a big fan of chocolate muscle milk and also of Wilderness Athlete products.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
nuun
^ this
Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Scott Tredennick

Profile:

Amen to the Nuun, I love the lemon chai.