CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:
Re: Effective Post-Workout Nutrition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Earle View Post
I have been using Opticen. http://www.atlargenutrition.com/products/opticen (use coupon code 1RM for 10% off).

I was doing Whey + Sweet Potato, then Whey + Fruit, then Whey + Waxy Maize -- but it was just annoying buying seperate stuff, mixing it together, prebaking a sweet potato -- so I use Opticen (which Chris Mason on these boards sells) -- it seems to work well for me and it doesn't have a lot of Fructose which is found in Gatorade, Chocolate Milk, etc...
Do you take the recommended three scoops of Opticen? The package calls for mixing three scoops with 25 ounces of water. Unfortunately, that amount doesn't even fit in my shaker cup, which is from AtLarge Nutrition. I dropped down to two scoops, and have now switched over to Nitrean+.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
David Strand

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
This isn't in depth. But it may get you in the right direction.

1) Exercise is catabolic. It breaks down muscle, no matter what type of exercise it is. When you consume high glycemic carbohydrates, you convince your body to release insulin. Insulin may also be released in the presence of other foods too, but high glycemic carbs are the best. Insulin is an anabolic hormone. It tells the body to rebuild broken muscles.
2) When you perform exercise for more than a few minutes in duration, you use glycogen from the liver and from the individual muscles that you used. Glycogen is essential to most forms of exercise. When you consume fructose, the body can store this as glycogen primarily in the liver. When you consume glucose, the body can store this as glycogen primarily in the muscles. Even if you don't consume carbohydrates immediately following a workout, the body still has mechanisms for refilling glycogen stores, but this is the best and fastest way to do it.
3) Consuming a little bit of protein has been shown in clinical studies to be more effective at recovery than carbohydrate alone. Ostensibly because protein is involved in muscle growth.

To your original question, it seems adequate. Taking that immediately after a workout would be a good way to achieve the above. I would also follow it up with a full meal if possible.
Thanks for the explanation, totally covered my questions.

As for everbody else, thanks for the thoughts. Is it possible to get *too much* carbs or protein post workout? Because between the variety of post workout nutriotion methods you guys mentioned AND a meal, I figure it starts to add up.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Well it depends on your goals and body composition among other things. But if you're getting 30-40g of protein and 60-80g of carbs right after a workout, that's only 360-480 calories. So you should be ready for a real meal an hour or two later. Based on your MMA workload and the fact that you're starting a strength program I'd guess you'll want at least 4000 calories a day. That makes post-workout and the following meal only a small part of it.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian B. Vaneria View Post
Do you take the recommended three scoops of Opticen? The package calls for mixing three scoops with 25 ounces of water. Unfortunately, that amount doesn't even fit in my shaker cup, which is from AtLarge Nutrition. I dropped down to two scoops, and have now switched over to Nitrean+.

You don't need that much liquid. It is really just a matter of how thick someone likes their shake. I mix my Opticen in our shaker no problem.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Earle View Post
I have been using Opticen. http://www.atlargenutrition.com/products/opticen (use coupon code 1RM for 10% off).

I was doing Whey + Sweet Potato, then Whey + Fruit, then Whey + Waxy Maize -- but it was just annoying buying seperate stuff, mixing it together, prebaking a sweet potato -- so I use Opticen (which Chris Mason on these boards sells) -- it seems to work well for me and it doesn't have a lot of Fructose which is found in Gatorade, Chocolate Milk, etc...
Thanks for the business! Just an FYI, I have a code specifically for this site. It is CFF and you enter it on the shopping cart page for 10% off.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

It sounds like it may depend on your workout. i.e. More protein w/ some carbs for strength workouts and more carbs w/little protein for met-con WODs.

Last edited by Joey Shishineh : 07-20-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: link
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
Chris Mason

Profile:

Joey, I would say the WODs etc. are similar to strength training and the high carb shakes/meals should be reserved for prolonged endurance training.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Joey, I would say the WODs etc. are similar to strength training and the high carb shakes/meals should be reserved for prolonged endurance training.
Chris, theoretically, if someone were to do a strength session that lasted 3-4 hours with multiple heavy sets, do you think that their glycogen levels would be significantly reduced?

Glenn Pendlay does. I don't have any evidence for why that may or may not be true but based on this you seem to think the opposite.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
Steven Low

Profile:

Whole milk man.... whole milk

Milk is consistently up there or better than cho/protein supplementation in the studies, and whole milk outperforms skim milk.

If you think about it.... milk is "designed" to help animals to grow. So... take the next logical leap there with exercise

(if you're lactose intolerant that may be an issue)

Additionally, I take a look at why whole milk > fat milk here

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...vitamin-d/#VD4

Last edited by Steven Low : 07-21-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #20
John McCord

Profile:

Chris, would you recommend Opticen or Nitrean+ for PWO on someone that is looking to drop BF % (not necessarily weight). Workouts are strength based with a Metcon added every other workout or so.