CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
Don Stevenson

Profile:
This weekend I spent all weekend at the Australian Weightlifting Federations Level 1 (club)Coaches course and have to say it was a real eye opener.

I've been doing some form of Oly lifting now (badly as it turns out) for a few years and i've read a lot about it but NOTHING compares to 2 days of coaching from international level coaches.

Some random observations and notes.

1. Being in a country where weightlifting is a tiny sport has its positive and negatives. On the downside its sad to think that the national coach for Australia is based in a building that looked like it was about to fall down.

On the upside, I doubt that people doing a club coaches course in Russia or China would get to see, let alone talk to the national coach.

Another positive was that we had a couple of international level lifters helping us out and doing all the demonstrations.

A final positive was that we had a couple of top level S & C coaches there to do the course including the strength coach of the winners of the rugby league comp out here (about the aussie equivalent of having a superbowl winning s & c coach doing the course with us)

2. Technique is king! Well thats what the course instructor said when he demonstrated a one arm snatch with 40kg to the oooohs and ahhhs of the students of course i had to do it too and finish it off with a windmill :-)

Seriously though I have never done a proper snatch I felt happy with until i did them at the course, i've also added 15kg to my best full clean (70kg up to 85kg) and i'm much more comfortable with both the comp lifts and the progression from DL, SQ and presses into Power clean and power snatch etc.

3. Crossfit is great prep for the course! I was worried about my flexibility before turning up to the course but it turned out that i was pretty much the only person who could do proper full depth OH squats and drop snatch balance without blocking up their heels by 2 inches.

4. If technique is king then the devil is in the details. For ages i've been trying to OHS with my feet too close to parrallel, 2 minutes with the coach and I found a much more solid and comfortable bottom position which would probably be further inproved with proper oly lifting shoes.

Another example - I don't shrug high enough in either lift and it was hurting my bar height. A little practice and i'm getting much more elevation of the bar and i'm cleaning a hell of a lot more weight.

5. We got to see a small weightlifting comp and by the end i felt A. Very weak and B. very determined to do something about it. There was a 48kg girl there who was putting more overhead than me!!!

6. Eleiko bars and bumpers MMMMMMM TASTY!

7. Snatch balance in commerical gym = instant freak out. I'd never tried this before cause i was always afraid of braining myself but after the course it feels great!

8. In summary - If you have any chance to do a course like this, even if you'll never coach athletes, TAKE IT!

End rambling
Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Don,

I know exactly what you're saying mate. I thought my technique was ok until i attended a lifting qual. here with an ex commonwealth champ.

4 days in a proper school of excellence was great enough, but then he showed us some old school lifting too which rocked!

Small world too, i did a one-armed snatch there too and also did a windmill! It was with the 'lil 2.5kg plates though!! (They are the same colour and size as the 10kg ones, so it looked like i was doing it with 40kg! :wink:)

I absolutely love the snatch balance, it's great when you do it with just the bar and some smart BiPec dude tells you to put some weight on it. I always let 'em have a go then fall about laughing as they can't even get close to doing it!!!

Oh yeah the guy taking the course was in his late 60's and was outlifting all of us with a shoulder op and hip replacement......time to go practice!

Anybody and everybody, like Don says, get some proper coaching, it seriously does wonders for your lifting! It is ALL in the details.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:19 AM   #3
Mark Beck

Profile:
Karl,

Any chance of posting up the details of the course you did. Venue, cost and perhaps a link to the organiser?

Cheers mate.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Mark, sure thing matey!

Get in touch with BWLA (or BAWLA) can't quite remember which!? (Google is your best bet i reckon!)

David Easton and i went through the course in Glasgow, but there are ones done nation wide i believe.

It was 4 days spread over 2 weeks (mon/tues of both weeks)

It cost 180 for the course. We spent a day at Davie's gym doing theory and then went to the Palace of Arts in Glasgow (school of excellence) to play in the lifting area!

If i knew how to do all that link melarkey i would mate sorry! I'll look out some details when i get home if you're interested in the same dude taking the course???

Old 10-17-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
awesome stuff Don.
i should have went to that course and do not really have any excuse besides laziness.
i've got a whole year to wait now.
naughty me .

once again great stuff Don
Old 10-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
You could always fly to queensland to do it.

Of course now that i've done it (and once i practice some more) i'll nominate one of the saturday workouts as an oly clinic. I won't claim to be as good as the coaches at the course but i should be able to transfer the basics.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
Don Stevenson

Profile:
BTW is it my imagination or is your avatar the goofiest photo of us you could find.

I look like i've just finished a ballet lesson and you look like you're scratching something....
Old 10-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
it's a good one. i'll change it though.

btw did you get the photos and video i sent you of suffer in sydney.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Glad to here the course is worth it, Cant wait to do mine next month.You'll have to show me some of your new moves when we catch up this arvo, but be nice, after doing a modified Helen (500m C2 rather than run) yesterday with Andrew and spending over an hour working in MU technique at the adult gym class, my wrists are killing me not to mention the hands, chest,back, tri's and everywhere else.
On the up side i got the false grip going and can now do Jumping muscleups. Yippy
Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #10
Simon Callander

Profile:

your not kidding about the building, most of the activites are done in other locations and they dont have the money for repairs, but it has enough for medal quality athletes. ive just joined the gym there and had my first session this morning, im in there with 4 girls who are warming up with 60kg and there i am with the broom stick struggling with technique, my saving grace is that i have a half decent front squat. oh yes i managed to meet up with fiona at the gym class and she witness my first muscle up (first try on rings, still cant do them on a bar) the coaches loved the access to here digital cam too. saturday Olift work at suffer in syd sounds like a good plan, ive really got to arange my scedual so i can make it soon