CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Zach Reed

Profile:
Adequate Caloric Intake?

I'm trying to put on some mass to fill out my 5'11" 167lbs (definitely less than 10% bf but not exactly sure) frame and was hoping to get some input from others to see if I'm taking in an enough daily calories to meet my needs. I've always been lean, so I'd imagine it'd take a massive amount of calories & lack of conditioning to get me close to 200lbs, but I think 185 would be a good goal for now.

Right now I'm doing 5 Olympic strength sessions per week, with anywhere from 0-2 conditioning workouts mixed in. I've also been following ~90% strict Paleo+dairy diet (1/2 GOMAD) but have recently started adding in some paleo no-no's such as white rice, oatmeal, even some whole grain bread because I can flat out tell that my body needs the calories.

Just to see where I was at I plugged all my food today into FitDay and found that I consumed roughly 3,660 calories at a macronutrient breakdown of 42% fat, 31% carbs, and 27% protein. This was definitely an average food consumption day with maybe a little less meat than usual but overall pretty close. Am I taking in enough calories to support my current exercise levels and goal? Also, any recommendations for some additional relatively healthy calorie sources? I'm already on the sweet potato band wagon but I could use some other go-to options.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Jason Halm

Profile:
Re: Adequate Caloric Intake?

Are you getting heavier? As far as dense caloric sources, fruit is good, dried fruit has more sugar and thus more calories. I like peanut butter, personally.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Zach Reed

Profile:

Yes, I've gained close to 10lbs since the end of the open. I eat almond butter with carrots, celery, jam sometimes but I try not to overdo the nut consumption because of their poor O3/O6 ratios. I eat some dried fruit in the form of raisins & dried cranberries but generally try to stick with the fresh stuff.

Last edited by Zach Reed : 07-27-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: add fruit part
Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Jason Halm

Profile:

Keep up what you're doing. Good job, sir.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Zach Reed

Profile:

I should also mention that the weight gain has stalled somewhat at my current weight (167) over the last few weeks. I'm not sure if it's some kind of mini plateau as my body prepares to to add more mass, or if the addition of the first 10lbs is resulting in a further need for increased caloric intake. However, I have been getting stronger, just not heavier.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
David Fletcher

Profile:

I like to make these monster salads so they stay paleo friendly. Something along the lines of

1 head lettuce
1 lb meat (steak/chicken/bacon/etc)
1-2 avocados
3/4 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup vinegar mixed for dressing

Takes a good 30-45 minutes to eat, but I've gotten them close to 3000 calories before. After that you eat ice cream to celebrate.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
I like to make these monster salads so they stay paleo friendly. Something along the lines of

1 head lettuce
1 lb meat (steak/chicken/bacon/etc)
1-2 avocados
3/4 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup vinegar mixed for dressing

Takes a good 30-45 minutes to eat, but I've gotten them close to 3000 calories before. After that you eat ice cream to celebrate.
I like this thinking. ^
Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Reed View Post
I should also mention that the weight gain has stalled somewhat at my current weight (167) over the last few weeks. I'm not sure if it's some kind of mini plateau as my body prepares to to add more mass, or if the addition of the first 10lbs is resulting in a further need for increased caloric intake. However, I have been getting stronger, just not heavier.
Make sure your calorie intake hasn't dropped for some reason. Otherwise it's time to start eating more.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
Andrew James

Profile:

Up carbs from starchy sources as a percentage of your total caloric intake.

It works for bodybuilders and it will work for you.