CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
Matt Spangler

Profile:
Steel club/clubbell training

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/thoughts on training with steel clubs. Looking for something different to work on firefighting skills such as pulling ceiling, swinging an axe, etc. I feel I have poor rotational strength (both swinging an axe and swinging the softball bat); I have read steel clubs are a great tool for increasing that.

I'd appreciate any feedback on pro/cons and a good starting weight. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Steel club/clubbell training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Spangler View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any experience/thoughts on training with steel clubs. Looking for something different to work on firefighting skills such as pulling ceiling, swinging an axe, etc. I feel I have poor rotational strength (both swinging an axe and swinging the softball bat); I have read steel clubs are a great tool for increasing that.

I'd appreciate any feedback on pro/cons and a good starting weight. Thanks.
I have limited experience with clubbells. I can say that they are very challenging, but worked really well on shoulder and core strength and mobility. I landed an awesome deal on the ones that I have; most are expensive, which brings up my point.
I would invest in research before purchase. You can scour the net for DIY projects or use a sledge for starters. I did the latter before buying polyurethane bells.
My set includes a 20, 25 and 35# Bruiser. I worked with the lightest for a spell before progressing. Again. Very challenging.

As for firefighter skills, are you familiar with TACFIT...? http://tacfitfirefighter.com/ (WSF)

Hope that this can help you out.

Michael