CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Brian Wilson

Profile:
GoDaddy, Google Apps, and what the eff is a CNAME?

[all links wfs]

So I resolved the issue with GoDaddy.com that I posted yesterday here, and got my website back registered again. I then did the domain hosting service with GoDaddy, which I didn't know I needed to do originally. this cost me $93 for two years.

So I want to use Google Apps which will allow me to do a bunch of very cool stuff, all with my domain name (www.potomaccrossfit.com) when/if my affiliation application gets approved.

Problem is I just spent an hour and a half on the phone with GoDaddy trying to get them to help me out in setting up Google Apps with my domain name and the guy was unsure if what we did was going to work. I pulled the instructions off of this Google Apps Help thread, which notionally should have done the trick.

Has anybody used this setup before with GoDaddy hosting the domain and Google Apps for all the behind the scenes stuff (web page building, email, calender, company intranet, etc.)?

I just need to upload a CNAME file to the website and this will supposedly validate that I own the website and Google Apps will start working, but it's not so far. Any help is greatly appreciated and will be reciprocated by me thinking pleasant thoughts about you for the rest of my days.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Brian Wilson

Profile:
Re: GoDaddy, Google Apps, and what the eff is a CNAME?

BTW, (wfs) this is the tool I'm using to confirm that my CNAME DNS record does not exist.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Brian Wilson

Profile:

OK, I may have done it right according to this (wfs).

I'll update if it actually comes through, but it's still not verifying on any NS Lookup programs. There is potentially a 48 hour lag, so I'll just hang out and wait another two days, check it then, and let everybody know.

Brian
Old 03-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

I'm glad you're logging all this, I'm following it. I haven't dealt with hosting, DNS & so on for many years and I'm anticipating doing all this soon.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I made all of this happen by magic. I really can't remember how I did it, and even if I did, I couldn't explain it to you. Good luck though.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #6
Rolando Ezequiel Martinez

Profile:

Buy domain at GoDaddy.

Go to hosting sections - pick economy $3.99.

Select your domain name.

Download a CMS to your root directory (such as Blogger or Wordpress; I prefer Wordpress for SEO purposes.)

Read all you can about Wordpress online, install it, find a template and start writing your pages about your site.

If you need any help, let me know, I would be more then happy to guide you through. This is my website www.CrossFitCoastal.com
Old 03-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Rolando, you are . I am continuing to have serious trouble as I signed up the domain for use with Google Apps, had it and an email address (brian@potomaccrossfit.com) up and running along with all the other cool bells and whistles that go along with Google Apps. And now, as if by magic, I'm getting a 404 error on not only www.potomaccrossfit.com but also just when I sign into Google Apps.

I emailed the Google Apps people, but haven't heard back from them. Any experience working with that?

So your saying I need to download that stuff and populate the webpage that way? I may need a talk through, but I'll play with it a little and get in touch when I hit a snag.

Thanks for the offer of assistance. I used to hang out in Wilmington when I was stationed at Lejeune.

Brian
Old 03-17-2008, 05:08 AM   #8
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Wanted to post an update to this. It appears you can't build the actual front page of the website with Google Apps. This doesn't seem to make any sense to me at all. You can build subdomain pages, but not the front page.

So I'll be talking to Rolando about Moveable Type and try to get that up and running. Will post again with an update.

Rolando - if you could clarify the $3.99 thing I think that would be helpful for people. I paid $11.99 for the domain registration, then $93 for two years of hosting.

Brian
Old 03-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
Craig Massey

Profile:

Brian, I haven't done this, yet, but my research tells me it's doable, if problematic.

This page (wfs)http://www.trapbot.com/blogging/cust...-in-blogger/10, along the way to describing how to fix the most common problems, describes how to set it up using the Godaddy blogger combo you're using.

And I also checked some things and I'm increasingly sure that to use a custom domain with blogger, you don't have to buy google apps. It's a free service. Sorry.

If you want to work through any of what's proposed I'm happy to interpret the geek speak for you as you go. PM me and we can set up a dialog if you want.

I've felt guilty about watching you struggle and I should have a bit of time to help now. Especially on my Easter Friday which is still your Thursday.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
Rolando Ezequiel Martinez

Profile:

It's economy hosting through GoDaddy- I pay 3.99 per month billed to my CC.

From there you go to your account manager and go to FTP client and upload the Wordpress files into your root directory.

You'll have to create a MySql database, which the instructions on Wordpress will guide you through.

After that, just follow the instructions on Wordpress and then you're done. Just gotta modify the look through templates and css.

I personally like Wordpress because you can post posts and pages and pick where you want each to show up and how. Also you can have sidebar widgets which add functionality. I have random gallery pictures come up everytime you come to my page, a search bar, and a short blurb on the CFJ.

There's widgets for just about everything including interactive calendars, mapquest addons, countdown clocks, etc - theres like hundreds. I am in the process of programming a widget that automatically posts the WOD on my sidebar straight from the main CF site.