CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Michael Cook

Profile:
Doing your own thing at a box?

Anyone out there belong to a crossfit box, but instead of participating in the group classes, chose to follow a different program? Such as Outlaw programming, or Bergeron's Competitor's WOD?

Do you train by yourself, or do you have a small group that trains together, different from the group classes.

I am interested to see how this works.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Re: Doing your own thing at a box?

Not well at all if you belong to a box that expects you to stick to their program.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

Typically when you join a crossfit gym you're only choice is to do what they program.

From a management perspective it's much easier and safer to run a class with everyone doing the same thing.

Some gyms do have dedicated strength, olympic and competition focused programming, but again, you're doing the programming they designed.

I have a home gym I've been lifting at for over a year but I'm beginning to miss the social aspects. Often time's I've contemplated seeking out a box and asking to "rent" a platform.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

We allow it during our open gym times throughout the week.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I've know a few gyms that will allow and put members on specialized programming such as SS or this or that for a cycle. Most of their programming is going to be for everyone but they do have other tracks for the competitive athletes.

Or you just come in and do your programming around the classes or when there isn't a class (because members will wonder why you aren't doing what they HAVE to do).

It can work but will only work to a point. It's not something you could really allow for more than a handful of individuals.

You will be seen as something other than the "group."

Why you no like my programming? is what you'll get.

It's a bit different than just coming in before or after class to do some gymnastics or Sn/CJ or PL stuff.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Become and coach, get a job, work for cool owners, get a key to the gym and 24/7 shall belong to you young padawan.

Or just save up and buy your own stuff so you can workout in your underwear. Average 3x per week cost $150 makes 1800 a year. For 1800 bucks you can load out with a bar, 300lb of bumpers, some iron, some kb's, rope, rings, wallball, and you can use your hands to build a cheap pull-up rig for pennies as well as build your own uprights. If you deal shop you can throw an airdyne in there or save a bit more for a rower.

That's all assuming you don't need coaching. If you do then just follow the gyms program until you're so bad @$$ they'll let you do whatever you want just so they can send you to regionals and have you rep the gym. If you don't think you can improve on your gyms programming either leave cause it sucks and those people should go out of business or if its good let reality sink in that a specialized program won't be any use to you until you check your ego.

EDIT: as an addition, while working as a coach if a client ever showed ambition by coming 15 mins before class to warm up and then wanted to spend the first 15 minutes of class doing extra work I not only would have been ok with it I would have frequently held them up as a standard in the gym for others to follow. I would also have allowed them to do slightly different work than the rest of the class. I admonished clients to do this and never once did it happen. If you can't come early and take advantage of every minute in class then again, there's no need for specialized programming. Show initiative and ambition to the point of annoyance and they'll let you get a way with a lot.

Last edited by Jordan Derksen : 07-08-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

^^^ What do you really think is the % of boxgoers who would be willing to put a bit more work in besides the class they show up for?

How many have a desire to compete at local, regional or Games level?

If the gym population is 75-175 members, I would guess you would be lucky to get 10% of that crowd who want to compete in CF at anything more than the random local competion or go to Tough Mudder/Spartan races, etc. Maybe only 5% at best would care to compete at PL or WL if it's offered on a competitive schedule (10-15 hours a week) vs the average class time of most boxgoers being about 3-6 hours a week.

Quote:
Or just save up and buy your own stuff so you can workout in your underwear.
It is pretty awesome to be able to workout in just your boxers or shorts, especially if you are in a really hot area. And you get to choose your own music.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

This question brings to light what I believe may someday soon undercut the affiliate model. There are a ton of us out there that want to follow our own programming, but affiliates, for the most part, will not allow us to do so. And, I can understand that from the affiliate's perspective -- they want members to follow their own programming. Fine; however, in the very near future, I believe that the Globo Gyms are going to wake up and start providing their members with awesome "functional fitness" set-ups at a very affordable price. Folks will then have a place to perform all CrossFit-type movements and follow their own programming.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian B. Vaneria View Post
This question brings to light what I believe may someday soon undercut the affiliate model. There are a ton of us out there that want to follow our own programming, but affiliates, for the most part, will not allow us to do so. And, I can understand that from the affiliate's perspective -- they want members to follow their own programming. Fine; however, in the very near future, I believe that the Globo Gyms are going to wake up and start providing their members with awesome "functional fitness" set-ups at a very affordable price. Folks will then have a place to perform all CrossFit-type movements and follow their own programming.
What you may end up seeing is two types of CF boxes, those that cater to the competitive athlete and those that cater to the average person who's just looking for a workout and the community aspect. I supose a larger box could accomodate both those would be few and far between.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Sean Dunston

Profile:

There are a few members at my gym that I will allow to work out on their own. The only real rule is they can't interfere with any WOD or coaching that is going on around them.
I was kind of used to it, having coached at Outlaw for so long. There, we always had regular members doing the gym's WOD, and then a handful of pretty advanced guys doing The Outlaw Way WODs concurrently.
Hasn't been a problem so far at my gym.