CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-31-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I feel incredibly dumb and my elbows STILL hurt from my inept intrepetation of the false grip. Even after viewing the crossfit picture of a correct false grip I managed to get it really wrong.

I had my forearm over the ring, right where some folks wear their watches! Supporting my weight on that forearm bone was a unique experience. Maintaining that assbackwards grip while doing consecutive MUs was just barely possible, and it hurt a LOT. I had to slowly let myself down, come to a stop at a bizarre angle (no way I could straighten my arms and maintain my "grip"), grit my teeth and pull like hell to do another rep. There was none of that smooth wavelike motion I saw on the crossfit video clip.

Jeff was appalled. He corrected my grip and the MUs I tried were much easier. (Having a coach like Jeff is worth his weight in gold!). Leave it to me to make something difficult real hard.

Ways to know you may be performing a "Kelly grip":

1) you can't come close to straightening out your arms at the beginning of the pull
2) you have to pad & tape your forearms due to the pain
3) your elbows hurt so bad you can't hold your video camera with one hand after MUs
4) your elbows ache for weeks after a workout

I definitely strained the muscles and possibly the tendons supporting my elbows. I think my enthusiasm surpassed my common sense.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
Coach

Profile:

Hi Kelly,

I'm trying to picture how you modified the false grip.

Did Jeff just reduce your purchase, i.e., bring your contact point closer to the hand?

Ring men have calluses on the wrist under the watch and stay fairly bruised in there. (At least we did in the seventies and eighties.)

Many of our guys have experienced only transient yet acute shoulder and elbow discomfort, but in every case it has disappeared over time.

It seems that in the early days of learning the muscle-up a lot of inefficient (even antagonistic) movements plague our efforts.

Coach
Old 07-31-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Coach,

Jeff had me move the ring to pass under where your hand bends at the wrist, just before that bony part. I had the ring under the solid part of the forearm, up nearly 1 1/2 inches from that bony wrist knob thingy (sorry, I don't what it is called!). I had the ring almost between the wrist joint and the elbow joint.

I hope that makes things more clear!