CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Trampas Hutches

Profile:
Trying to lose weight, gain strength what should I do?

I have been on Crossfit for about 6 months now. I have had really good gains. 33% BF to 25%, 5 in off waist, my hip and legs have gotten exceptionally strong and flexible and lower back pain is tons better. Overall I am a lot more fit.

Now my problem. I seemed to have hit a plateau in the strength department (ie stuck on 95# thrusters, when the are part of the WOD, for 2 months etc). Also in the wt/bf loss area. I am 6'6" 260 and was 260 when I started (lost 8% BF). I eat a 5-5-3-5-3 zone and stay on it pretty well. I pack on wt very easily. The smell of a donut shop makes me gain 5 pounds.

Would incorporating SS (w/o milk obviously) in along with Crossfit help me gain in strength and lose wt/BF? Or ME BB along with CrossFit? Would these help getting my strength up to the rx'd WOD's? Or do I need to give it more time?

I need the conditioning of CrossFit to keep BF down. I have found also mybody runs the best at 230. Most of the threads I have read focus on people trying to GAIN wt and not lose it. Any input would help. Many thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Trying to lose weight, gain strength what should I do?

SS would be unhelpful... you'd gain lots of strength but the lack of metcon, even without the milk, you'd never lose fat.

MEBB isn't really much different from CF since there's generally 1 day in 3 of heavy lifting anyway... it'd probably provide a little more strength and still have lots of metcon.

But honestly... I question 1) are you REALLY on the zone, or kinda on the zone? If the latter, you need to clean it up more. If the former, you need to drop a block or two. and 2) how intense are your metcons? are they truly 100%?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Chris A MacDonald

Profile:

right off the bat 21 blocks for your body weight and BF% is a bit high, although only by 2 blocks or so. Should be around 19. Even starting out with 33% you should have been around 18 blocks. Although it is only a general guideline, as you might have started with this number but increased out of necessity

With building your lean muscle mass and continuing these workouts the fat will start to burn off.

getting enough sleep at night? Are you measuring out your blocks or eye-balling it?

best of luck!
/Mac
Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris A MacDonald View Post
right off the bat 21 blocks for your body weight and BF% is a bit high, although only by 2 blocks or so. Should be around 19.
He's right. 260 pounds at 25%BF equals 195 pounds lean mass. A standard CrossFitter activity level modifier of .7 makes your required protien intake a little over 136 grams, or 19.5 blocks. Since your trying to lose weight, round down to 19.

As for your program, I'd actually stop doing CrossFit for a while and do a combination of SS and CrossFit Endurance (wfs), subbing the SS program where CrossFit Endurance indicates doing the main page WOD. SS will help you achieve the strength gains you're looking for and the cardio endurance program will be more effective at burning fat than the metcons from the main page. I'd do that for six to eight weeks and then come back to the main page program.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 06-05-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

1. When is the last time you took a rest break? If not within the past 2 months I would suggest taking a week off or at least a half intensity week or something along those lines.

2. How clean is the diet?

3. Sleep? 8 hours?

4. Strength work may help. MEBB would probably be best though.. IF you need the fitness. SS would be fine IF you have no problem dropping fitness for now and trying to add on the strength and possibly pack on more muscle.

5. Stress levels?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

An afterthought: If you choose to take my recommendation of SS plus CrossFit Endurance you may wish to modify some of the more intense endurance workouts, depending upon your current level of fitness.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
cardio endurance program will be more effective at burning fat than the metcons from the main page.
Not true.

With regulated diet and sleep, high intensity work like HIIT/tabatas/metcon/etc. are more effective for body composition changes than endurance work.

And I would not recommend SS + CF endurance. Waaaaaaaay too much. SS, by itself, is a great stand alone program and adding to it even one or two workouts per week especially without the gallon of milk is probably going to make you stall or overreach within a couple of weeks.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Interesting post. I'm in a not-too-dissimilar position myself, so I like to see someone in the same boat. I'm 6'1" or so, 245, about 25% body fat. Down from 270 and god knows how much fat in December after shoulder surgery. I've been doing the CF WOD as prescribed, but have been considering an alternate strategy. I KNOW that my diet needs major work, and that will be my focus this month. However, I also question the best/fastest way to lose some body fat and increase strength, as my main goals are strength-related.

Gant's post in particular gets me thinking. I've done SS in the past and found major strength imrpovements, quickly. I have to wonder if SS + short, intense metcons (the under ten minute rule), etc. combined with a reduced calorie diet would allow me to lose fat and maintain/possibly gain a slight amount of strength..quickly.

At the risk of getting flamed...I will admit that the "tried and true" bodybuilder BS of fasted AM cardio (HR 120-130) is tempting, simply because I've seen people get results with it. Many bodybuilders trying to cut also alter their carbs on training days vs. non-training days. As much as I avoid most of the BB stuff in general, they (ok, some of "they") know how to cut without losing muscle. I'm still looking, but I'm trying to keep an open mind - so I hope this thread has some interesting outside of the box responses.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Trampas Hutches

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
1. When is the last time you took a rest break? If not within the past 2 months I would suggest taking a week off or at least a half intensity week or something along those lines.

2. How clean is the diet?

3. Sleep? 8 hours?

4. Strength work may help. MEBB would probably be best though.. IF you need the fitness. SS would be fine IF you have no problem dropping fitness for now and trying to add on the strength and possibly pack on more muscle.

5. Stress levels?
Thanks all for replies. I will use Stevens since it was the most commonly asked questions.

1. I just took a vacation last week only did WO on 2 of the days. This could help.

2. My diet is fairly good. I dont eat junk food or candy/sugar. My only tendency is eating more protein blocks than needed. I do have one cheat night a week of 3C ice cream. I must have used the .9 modifier or something like that to get 21. I will drop the blocks to 18-19 range. Being in Podunk as Walmart is the only option a lot of my food choices are limited. So I do alot of canned vs fresh etc.

3. I work in the medical field (Radiology) and I cover 50% call so my sleep varies. Possibly compounding the problem is I do my WO at 0450. So if I get a late call, which is frequent, it kills my sleep.

4. I dont want to lose the fitness I just busted my butt over the last 6 months to obtain. So I am leaning more towards a MEBB type WO.

5. Stress. See #2. I see a lot of nasty stuff on the job. Stress levels can be high. I use my WO's as a stress reliever.

So clean up diet, drop blocks to 18-19, more sleep via maybe doing all WO at lunch time. Look into MEBB. I am open to all suggestions thanks!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Okay.. that's probably fine.

2. Read the ice cream thread in nutrition forum (Bryers). Sounds like you got at least somewhat of handle. Might need some tweaking though post up a fitday log in like nutrition or something if you want critique.

3. This is going to be your major problem. Stress of work + poor sleep. Depending on how bad it gets it's going to be extremely hard to get into single digit body fat and try to gain strength, heh.

4. MEBB sounds good.

5. Yeah.. stress + sleep is the major thing. Look into more naps if you can, heh.