CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
Chris Bendix

Profile:
Level 1 Test

Last night I found out I didn't make it though the Level 1 test, pretty bummed out about it! I felt extremely confident after I completed the test but was clearly mistaken, obviously I need to review the study guide and handbook for the areas I didn't do well in, but does anyone have good advice they could throw my way?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Bryan Castro

Profile:
Re: Level 1 Test

Greetings,

I don't have any experience with the level 1 test, but some general thoughts to hopefully be helpful:
1. Where your errors because you didn't know the material well enough, or because of the wording of the questions, or some other reason (e.g. test anxiety)? If it is the former - then review and quizzing yourself will be of much help. If it is the latter, then studying how the questions are worded and what key words or points can help you determine the right answer might be helpful.
2. Maybe make flashcards worded similarly to the questions given. The closer the modality you quiz yourself in the better you will do on the test. Just reading over the material will not be as helpful as active recall.
3. If the material is of the type that you need to memorize, then I would encourage you to google spaced repetition learning. There is software that you can create flashcards (some free) that quizzes you in random order and repeats them in optimal time intervals (over days and weeks) so you memorize items more permanently.

One of my hobbies is learning how to learn, so hopefully this is somewhat useful for you.

Best regards,
Bryan
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Chris Bendix

Profile:

Thanks for the input? I honestly answered all the question I felt really good about and skipped the ones I wasn't sure of, than later came back to them......My "gut" feeling was I did well, at least good enough to pass. I'm starting to think the questions that asked for the best answer were the ones I got wrong, so technically my answers were correct but there was a better choice. Frustrating!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Boris Wartenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bendix View Post
Thanks for the input? I honestly answered all the question I felt really good about and skipped the ones I wasn't sure of, than later came back to them......My "gut" feeling was I did well, at least good enough to pass. I'm starting to think the questions that asked for the best answer were the ones I got wrong, so technically my answers were correct but there was a better choice. Frustrating!
Welcome to the club... I failed the first try, so on sunday iŽll join the re-test...
Send me a pm and youŽll get something....

Keep on going....

all the best
Boris
Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Page Johnson

Profile:

I thought the test was worded rather confusingly also, so maybe that is what tripped you up. You do definitely need to know the *best* answer, rather than just a correct one.

Good luck on your retry!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Johnson View Post
I thought the test was worded rather confusingly also, so maybe that is what tripped you up. You do definitely need to know the *best* answer, rather than just a correct one.

Good luck on your retry!
I agree with this. I passed it, and took it about 2 years after I did the L1 since the test was not offered back then.

Read carefully. Take your time. Eliminate the 1 or 2 absolute worst answers. It's tricky.

IMO, questions that come down to, answers of;
a) weight in your heels
b) neutral spine

when the question is "what's the move important part of the deadlift"? Can be tricky. Especially since after I take the test, and don't know which answers I got right and wrong.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Not trying to be rude but if you fail the Level One "Certificate" test you should probably reconsider being an instructor for a while because you have a lot to learn. That being said if you are doing it for your own personal gain then more power to you and study harder! All the information is handed to you in the book and the 2-day course.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Chris Bendix

Profile:

Clearly failing once means you're not worthy...........
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bendix View Post
Clearly failing once means you're not worthy...........
Yes, clearly. There is no reason to fail this "test". You are given a study guide before you even go to the course then spoon fed the information throughout 2 days. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Just doing CF for a while makes all of this stuff settled in your brain. How long have you been doing CF? Have you gone back to old school journal videos? I looked at a lot of test questions and the answers were almost instantly coming to me - from experience alone.