CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Jeff Sprunger
Member Jeff Sprunger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kaiserslautern  Germany
Posts: 145
Magnesium

is anyone taking Magnesium daily? I just read an article that said it helps with joint pains. Has anyone experienced a reduction in joint pain from starting magnesium supplements?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Magnesium

Are you thinking of glucosamine/MSM? Magnesium is helpful for muscle and tissue recovery but I've never heard of it being recommended for joint pain.
__________________
Training Log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw
Member Darryl Shaw is offline
 
Darryl Shaw's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manchester  England
Posts: 1,925
Re: Magnesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sprunger View Post
is anyone taking Magnesium daily? I just read an article that said it helps with joint pains. Has anyone experienced a reduction in joint pain from starting magnesium supplements?
A healthy balanced diet that includes plenty of leafy green vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds will provide all the magnesium you need.

ODS Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Magnesium

Dietary Reference Intakes: The Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements (2006): Magnesium.

Human Vitamin and Mineral Requirements: Chapter 14. Magnesium.

Magnesium, Mg ( mg ) Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure, sorted by nutrient content.

Magnesium, Mg ( mg ) Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure, sorted alphabetically.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 04-03-2013 at 06:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
David Allen Rogers
Member David Allen Rogers is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Burlington  NJ
Posts: 147
Re: Magnesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
A healthy balanced diet that includes plenty of leafy green vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds will provide all the magnesium you need.
It really isn't feasible to get 400+ mg from these foods unless you really like frozen spinach (at least two full packages of it every day) or have room in your diet for 810 calories worth of almonds a day. I've tracked my foods and tried and couldn't even get close and I like frozen spinach. With fresh spinach, it's even worse. 21 cups a day just to get to 400mg. Obviously, you can combine foods but you are still combining massive amounts of spinach with massive calories from almonds, etc..

This is just to get to about 400mg. For athletes, the requirements are higher:

"Strenuous exercise apparently increases urinary and sweat losses that may increase magnesium requirements by 10-20%."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17172008 (wfs)

I would suggest tracking your diet to see if you actually can get adequate magnesium intake. If you can't, try supplements and see what happens. However, you have to be careful about the form of magnesium as the bio-availability varies widely. Magnesium oxide, which is apparently popular because it is cheap, mostly just passes through without being absorbed. Magnesium citrate and some other forms absorb much better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Darryl Shaw
Member Darryl Shaw is offline
 
Darryl Shaw's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manchester  England
Posts: 1,925
Re: Magnesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers View Post
It really isn't feasible to get 400+ mg from these foods unless you really like frozen spinach (at least two full packages of it every day) or have room in your diet for 810 calories worth of almonds a day. I've tracked my foods and tried and couldn't even get close and I like frozen spinach. With fresh spinach, it's even worse. 21 cups a day just to get to 400mg. Obviously, you can combine foods but you are still combining massive amounts of spinach with massive calories from almonds, etc..
According to the USDA database one cup (180g) of cooked, boiled and drained spinach without salt provides 157mg of magnesium. So it would only take ~2.5 cups of cooked spinach to meet the RDA for adult males. Clearly if you look at the figures in the USDA database meeting magnesium requirements is not difficult if you are eating varied whole foods diet that meets energy needs.

Quote:
This is just to get to about 400mg. For athletes, the requirements are higher:

"Strenuous exercise apparently increases urinary and sweat losses that may increase magnesium requirements by 10-20%."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17172008 (wfs)

I would suggest tracking your diet to see if you actually can get adequate magnesium intake. If you can't, try supplements and see what happens. However, you have to be careful about the form of magnesium as the bio-availability varies widely. Magnesium oxide, which is apparently popular because it is cheap, mostly just passes through without being absorbed. Magnesium citrate and some other forms absorb much better.
A few quotes from the Full Text of the paper you reference -

"Based on findings from experimental animals and in humans made deficient by drugs or disease, severe magnesium deficiency results in muscle weakness, neuromuscular dysfunction, and muscle cramping or spasms (see reviews [1-12]). However, it is unlikely that a severe magnesium-deficiency will occur in a healthy exercising individual consuming a varied diet. But, as indicated above, marginal magnesium deficiency is a distinct possibility for some strenuously exercising individuals consuming magnesium poor foods (e.g., meat, eggs, and refined carbohydrates) instead of magnesium-rich foods (e.g., whole grains, pulses, legumes and green leafy vegetables), and may impair exercise performance."

"There is a lack of reports showing that magnesium supplementation improved performance of individuals with established magnesium-adequate status."

"Based on dietary surveys and recent human experiments, a magnesium intake less than 260 mg/day for male and 220 mg/day for female athletes may result in a magnesium-deficient status. Marginal magnesium deficiency has been shown to impair performance and amplify the negative consequences of strenuous exercise. Thus, magnesium supplementation or increased dietary intake of magnesium could be beneficial to physically active individuals with a low or deficient magnesium status. Magnesium supplementation of physically active individuals with an adequate magnesium status has not been shown to enhance physical performance."

(Bold text my emphasis.)

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 04-03-2013 at 01:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
John Holcombe
Member John Holcombe is offline
 
John Holcombe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Folsom  CA
Posts: 1,058
Re: Magnesium

you could also just take ZMA
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Larry Bruce
Member Larry Bruce is offline
 
Larry Bruce's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto  ON
Posts: 545
Re: Magnesium

What % of Mag. will be bound up by the oxalates in spinach and similar leafy veggies? Could be 50% like calcium? Broccoli has good mag and little oxalate - might be better choice?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magnesium supplement s? Ben Norris Nutrition 14 01-21-2013 01:32 PM
Magnesium for muscle tightness Kevin Moore Nutrition 15 02-16-2012 02:43 AM
Magnesium Oil Brian Flynn Nutrition 0 12-11-2011 06:54 PM
Magnesium with B6 Jonathan Hurwitz Nutrition 1 07-30-2011 11:06 AM
Magnesium for Insulin Sensitivity David Csonka Nutrition 0 02-24-2010 08:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.