CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:
Magnesium

is anyone taking Magnesium daily? I just read an article that said it helps with joint pains. Has anyone experienced a reduction in joint pain from starting magnesium supplements?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Magnesium

Are you thinking of glucosamine/MSM? Magnesium is helpful for muscle and tissue recovery but I've never heard of it being recommended for joint pain.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sprunger View Post
is anyone taking Magnesium daily? I just read an article that said it helps with joint pains. Has anyone experienced a reduction in joint pain from starting magnesium supplements?
A healthy balanced diet that includes plenty of leafy green vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds will provide all the magnesium you need.

ODS Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Magnesium

Dietary Reference Intakes: The Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements (2006): Magnesium.

Human Vitamin and Mineral Requirements: Chapter 14. Magnesium.

Magnesium, Mg ( mg ) Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure, sorted by nutrient content.

Magnesium, Mg ( mg ) Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure, sorted alphabetically.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 04-03-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
A healthy balanced diet that includes plenty of leafy green vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds will provide all the magnesium you need.
It really isn't feasible to get 400+ mg from these foods unless you really like frozen spinach (at least two full packages of it every day) or have room in your diet for 810 calories worth of almonds a day. I've tracked my foods and tried and couldn't even get close and I like frozen spinach. With fresh spinach, it's even worse. 21 cups a day just to get to 400mg. Obviously, you can combine foods but you are still combining massive amounts of spinach with massive calories from almonds, etc..

This is just to get to about 400mg. For athletes, the requirements are higher:

"Strenuous exercise apparently increases urinary and sweat losses that may increase magnesium requirements by 10-20%."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17172008 (wfs)

I would suggest tracking your diet to see if you actually can get adequate magnesium intake. If you can't, try supplements and see what happens. However, you have to be careful about the form of magnesium as the bio-availability varies widely. Magnesium oxide, which is apparently popular because it is cheap, mostly just passes through without being absorbed. Magnesium citrate and some other forms absorb much better.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers View Post
It really isn't feasible to get 400+ mg from these foods unless you really like frozen spinach (at least two full packages of it every day) or have room in your diet for 810 calories worth of almonds a day. I've tracked my foods and tried and couldn't even get close and I like frozen spinach. With fresh spinach, it's even worse. 21 cups a day just to get to 400mg. Obviously, you can combine foods but you are still combining massive amounts of spinach with massive calories from almonds, etc..
According to the USDA database one cup (180g) of cooked, boiled and drained spinach without salt provides 157mg of magnesium. So it would only take ~2.5 cups of cooked spinach to meet the RDA for adult males. Clearly if you look at the figures in the USDA database meeting magnesium requirements is not difficult if you are eating varied whole foods diet that meets energy needs.

Quote:
This is just to get to about 400mg. For athletes, the requirements are higher:

"Strenuous exercise apparently increases urinary and sweat losses that may increase magnesium requirements by 10-20%."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17172008 (wfs)

I would suggest tracking your diet to see if you actually can get adequate magnesium intake. If you can't, try supplements and see what happens. However, you have to be careful about the form of magnesium as the bio-availability varies widely. Magnesium oxide, which is apparently popular because it is cheap, mostly just passes through without being absorbed. Magnesium citrate and some other forms absorb much better.
A few quotes from the Full Text of the paper you reference -

"Based on findings from experimental animals and in humans made deficient by drugs or disease, severe magnesium deficiency results in muscle weakness, neuromuscular dysfunction, and muscle cramping or spasms (see reviews [1-12]). However, it is unlikely that a severe magnesium-deficiency will occur in a healthy exercising individual consuming a varied diet. But, as indicated above, marginal magnesium deficiency is a distinct possibility for some strenuously exercising individuals consuming magnesium poor foods (e.g., meat, eggs, and refined carbohydrates) instead of magnesium-rich foods (e.g., whole grains, pulses, legumes and green leafy vegetables), and may impair exercise performance."

"There is a lack of reports showing that magnesium supplementation improved performance of individuals with established magnesium-adequate status."

"Based on dietary surveys and recent human experiments, a magnesium intake less than 260 mg/day for male and 220 mg/day for female athletes may result in a magnesium-deficient status. Marginal magnesium deficiency has been shown to impair performance and amplify the negative consequences of strenuous exercise. Thus, magnesium supplementation or increased dietary intake of magnesium could be beneficial to physically active individuals with a low or deficient magnesium status. Magnesium supplementation of physically active individuals with an adequate magnesium status has not been shown to enhance physical performance."

(Bold text my emphasis.)

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 04-03-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
John Holcombe

Profile:

you could also just take ZMA
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Larry Bruce

Profile:

What % of Mag. will be bound up by the oxalates in spinach and similar leafy veggies? Could be 50% like calcium? Broccoli has good mag and little oxalate - might be better choice?