CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
Arrow Eating to kick/prevent cold and flu!

Coming up on cold and flu season, I just got my first sniffle... My lady works with hundreds of people a day, so chronic exposure to the latest and greatest colds come with the territory.

I've been on paleo and have upped my greens intake by 500%, I'm also keeping up on some probiotics. Since switching, I feel waaay better, I was hoping I would see a difference in the cold and flu season.. but sure enough, I got a little sniffle yesterday, and now it's threatening to go sinus. My lady got smashed by it, I am hoping I skate through with something minor.

I take airborne at the first sign of a cold, and in the past I have taken Zycam (which I stopped doing). However, it seems like there must be a better way to go.

I will share this recipe that is very soothing for sore throats and sinuses.

Sore throat tea:
In a large coffee cup 12-14oz.
1 non caffeinated tea bag.
4-5 thin slices of ginger
A big squeeze of honey
Juice from a small lemon
3 good shakes of cayenne pepper.

The tea is very soothing and is a better option to throat drops.

Best
R
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
David Fletcher

Profile:
Re: Eating to kick/prevent cold and flu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
I've been on paleo and have upped my greens intake by 500%
That seems a little steep. I'm trying to imagine myself eating 5 bunches of kale a day or 5lb of broccoli. I don't think I'd like the end result of that.

Look into supplementing vitamin D.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar will knock out any kind throat issues you're having.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
That seems a little steep. I'm trying to imagine myself eating 5 bunches of kale a day or 5lb of broccoli. I don't think I'd like the end result of that.

Look into supplementing vitamin D.
On the D, and by 500%, I mean I hardly ate enough greens last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Eddy View Post
cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar will knock out any kind throat issues you're having.

Ohh! Gonna try that one too. Thx
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Liver and bone broth or homemade stock have lots of awesome healing properties (why chicken soup makes you feel better when you have a cold, but the storebought stuff doesn't count). Last year my husband and I got like, one cold, and I made a soup with homemade stock, a little roasted bone marrow, chicken meat, onions/celery and whatever else you want for flavor. Right before serving I threw in a handful of kale just so it would wilt, and a drizzle of chili oil. That pretty much cured everything.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Coming up on cold and flu season, I just got my first sniffle... My lady works with hundreds of people a day, so chronic exposure to the latest and greatest colds come with the territory.

I've been on paleo and have upped my greens intake by 500%, I'm also keeping up on some probiotics. Since switching, I feel waaay better, I was hoping I would see a difference in the cold and flu season.. but sure enough, I got a little sniffle yesterday, and now it's threatening to go sinus. My lady got smashed by it, I am hoping I skate through with something minor.

I take airborne at the first sign of a cold, and in the past I have taken Zycam (which I stopped doing). However, it seems like there must be a better way to go.

I will share this recipe that is very soothing for sore throats and sinuses.

Sore throat tea:
In a large coffee cup 12-14oz.
1 non caffeinated tea bag.
4-5 thin slices of ginger
A big squeeze of honey
Juice from a small lemon
3 good shakes of cayenne pepper.

The tea is very soothing and is a better option to throat drops.

Best
R
None of what you are doing is going to make any difference. If you CrossFit you might consider supplementing with glutamine as it is vital to your immune system and hard training can deplete it. Otherwise, you might look into what micronutrients might be missing, on insufficient with your Paleo program and consider supplementing with those.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Deb Weber

Profile:

Quote:
supplementing with glutamine
+1_____
Old 09-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Scott Tredennick

Profile:

how much are you training? If you're body isn't fully recovering from a workout, it's doubtful it will recover from a cold.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
None of what you are doing is going to make any difference. If you CrossFit you might consider supplementing with glutamine as it is vital to your immune system and hard training can deplete it. Otherwise, you might look into what micronutrients might be missing, on insufficient with your Paleo program and consider supplementing with those.
I'm hoping in my case good nutrition and a working body will help me kick it faster than bad nutrition (based on the fact I ate like crap before). I'll get some glutamine today, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Borbone View Post
+1_____
More proof, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tredennick View Post
how much are you training? If you're body isn't fully recovering from a workout, it's doubtful it will recover from a cold.
4 times a week always (lightly) sore here and there, but I don't feel like I am overdoing it. As soon as the cold hit, I had to take 4 days off, got back on today.

I guess, I am figuring out the difference between a healthier body and if it's resistant to colds/flu vs. things that can help knock a cold down. It's annoying, even googling, you can find whatever answer you are looking for. Some say vitamin C, Zycam, Probiotics, will help, some say they wont.

Last edited by Rob Brown; 09-24-2011 at 12:36 PM..
Old 09-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Last time I started feeling a cold coming on I used something called Wellness Formula (you can google it to read about it). I basically just had minor symptoms for another day or so after starting, but the cold didn't progress beyond that and then it disappeared.

ps: I have no affiliation with the company who makes this product. I'm just sharing what worked for me.