CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #31
Eric Helms

Profile:
Re: Pectoral rupture

Man, sorry to hear about your pec problems. Right before I started doing crossfit style workouts, I began to have problems with my left-pec. Straining it about every 6 or seven weeks. I would lay off a week to 10 days from training chest, then re-start slowly. After starting crossfit, haven't had any chest problems, but after reading this thread there is no way I am going back to benching heavy!!!!! Nothing over 135 when I do bench.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #32
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Hey Steve, hows the rehab going? Just wondering how your progess is. 5 weeks post surgery this Wed. and looking forward to starting pt in another week or 2. had to go to the Dr's today because I was getting leakage from the pec incision. It was a mixture of blood and what looked like brain matter. Dr said it was probably a hematoma trying to drain itself. They took a culture and put me back on a antibiotic just for the safe side. No infection yet thank god.

Pain is almost gone except first thing in the morning and still not sleeping all that great but i'm getting there. Hope all is well.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #33
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Hey Mike,

Leakage huh? Nice.

Well, Ive been doing light push press and thrusters. Actually did a couple of burpees yesterday with really narrow hands. Most of the pain is gone with the exception of weather pressure changes.

I've been on a pretty strict regemin of fish oil, cal/mag with vit d, multi, and glucos/condroit. I really think it's helped the progress. I know it's helped the inflamation.

I'm going to start with narrow grip push ups after the first of the year. Hope to be back at it by March. Just be patient. I'm not, so I can sympathize with you brother. Get a steady protocol and listen to your body. CF will have prepared you for a quicker recovery. Trust me. Just gotta let it heal to the bone first.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #34
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Couldn't take it anymore. Went down the gym. Strapped my left arm, in a sling to my stomach and threw right hands at the heavy bag, double end bag and speed bag for about 5 rounds, did some back extentions and leg raises. Never felt better. Thanks for the motivation Steve. The people and trainers at my CF gym are amazing at finding things I can still do with only one arm. can't wait till I'm back in the mix. had to watch everybody yesterday do FGB while I sat and starred.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #35
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Do 1 armed KB Swings. Helps the mind.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #36
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Hey Stephen how's the recovery going? I am in my second week of pt and things are going ok. Feel really good on a day to day basis then I go to pt and realize that I have a long way to go to getting full range of motion. The pec. muscle is very, very tight. Still cannot lie flat in a bed because the laberal tear was in the back and it puts to much pressure on my shoulder.

Started back hitting the gym this week real light mainly only doing some leg work, back extentions, one kb swings etc. felt ok but am really looking forward to squating, deadlifting, and pressing again. I am trying to be smart about this and really take my time.

Hope your recovery is going well and let me know what stage you are at now since you are a few weeks ahead of me. Can you do a pushup yet?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #37
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Stick with it Mike. It'll come faster than you expect.

I'm back at full tilt, minus benching. Push ups are coming along. Going overhead with as much weight as before the accident. Doing all the wod's unless they have bench or rings.

My metcon is still lacking, but it'll be there soon. I'm very surprised at how fast I'm getting back. I'll tell ya what did it. Kipping. Got my range of motion back once I started the big swing. Helped a ton.

Take your time and listen to your body. You'll know intuitively when it's ready to go. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #38
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Thanks Steve. That was the one thing I was worried about was the kip because it can be such a violent motion.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #39
Kreshnik Topore

Profile:

Hey Glen wat's up!I read that u have ruptured u pectoral and not have a surgery!Well i also ruptured and now have been 4 months.The doctors didn't know the diagnose.I have done echos but nothing seens there.I ruptured in a motorcycle accident.First 2 weeks i couldn even raise my arm(like in flat fly movement).A big hematoma was in my biceps purple,blue and yellow.Now i have no hematoma cuz i had trauma in my chest.After 6 weeks i start training again.I couldnt do any dumdells or bench press so i moved to incline smith machine press(started from 100lbs than moved up to 200lbs 8 reps,before 287lbsx10 reps)In bench press i have done 287lbsx22 reps and now nothing),seated machine press,pullovers and then some fly.Started with 5lbs up to 25lbs but my right pecs get tired fast in flyes.I trained about 7 weeks and feel good go heavy in every exercise accept chin up(discomfort,pain)bench press and flyes.My arms were back at 57cm or 22.something inch.Now i have 2 months im not training.Deppresed cuz i had to a suregon and he told me that there is ruptured cuz i have this scar this big hole and he couldnt do anything cuz have passed like 4 months from the injury.So anything would help me cuz u have been thru the same thing and u know how it feels.If u give me advice what to do.Im 21 and got second in 2008 strongestman in my country.If u have some photos of u chest so i can compare to mine(how bad rupture is or i can send u some photos and u tell me what u think.My e-mail adress is niku_big_boy@yahoo.com or niku_muskulozi@hotmail.com.Anything would help me.Have u a great time.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #40
Kreshnik Topore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Stephen,

I tore my right pec years ago. It was late at night at the Wichita Falls Athletic Club, around 11 or 12pm as I remember, I think Rip and I were the only ones there... anyway, I was trying to do this thing that we used to call a "candlestick" although I have no idea why. Basically you lay on a flat bench, grab the bench above your head with both hands, then lift your whole body off the bench except your shoulderblades... you try to go up and down like that, body straight and only the shoulder blades touching, and go from body pointing as straight up in the air as possible to body almost parallel with the bench without touching... pretty tough, for me at least, probably partially because I was over 300lbs at the time.

Anyway, I heard a "pop" and felt some pain, and sat up on the bench, and felt my pec, and noticed that there was a large "hollow" place right in the belly of the muscle, while there was a bulge of tissue near both the origin and insertion. So I knew I had torn most of it in half. Not having health insurance, I never got it fixed. It wasnt as painful as I would have thought, in fact, the next morning at 10am I actually snatched 303lbs, although I couldnt have bench pressed 100lbs, and the snatch did hurt a lot. I was basically able to continue training the olympic lifts with little or no interuption, but was never able to bench heavy again. I think the most I ever did after that was maybe 225lbs for a set of 10, not to good for someone who had done 315 for a set of 19 reps previously. Plus it always did hurt, still does, if I tried to do any direct chest work, like bench press or dumbell bench press.

This probably has little relevance to your experience, since you plan to have your fixed... but, thats my experience.

glenn
Hey Glen wat's up!I read that u have ruptured u pectoral and not have a surgery!Well i also ruptured and now have been 4 months.The doctors didn't know the diagnose.I have done echos but nothing seens there.I ruptured in a motorcycle accident.First 2 weeks i couldn even raise my arm(like in flat fly movement).A big hematoma was in my biceps purple,blue and yellow.Now i have no hematoma cuz i had trauma in my chest.After 6 weeks i start training again.I couldnt do any dumdells or bench press so i moved to incline smith machine press(started from 100lbs than moved up to 200lbs 8 reps,before 287lbsx10 reps)In bench press i have done 287lbsx22 reps and now nothing),seated machine press,pullovers and then some fly.Started with 5lbs up to 25lbs but my right pecs get tired fast in flyes.I trained about 7 weeks and feel good go heavy in every exercise accept chin up(discomfort,pain)bench press and flyes.My arms were back at 57cm or 22.something inch.Now i have 2 months im not training.Deppresed cuz i had to a suregon and he told me that there is ruptured cuz i have this scar this big hole and he couldnt do anything cuz have passed like 4 months from the injury.So anything would help me cuz u have been thru the same thing and u know how it feels.If u give me advice what to do.Im 21 and got second in 2008 strongestman in my country.If u have some photos of u chest so i can compare to mine(how bad rupture is or i can send u some photos and u tell me what u think.My e-mail adress is niku_big_boy@yahoo.com or niku_muskulozi@hotmail.com.Anything would help me.Have u a great time.