CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-13-2008, 04:54 AM   #21
Mike Matulonis

Profile:
Re: Pectoral rupture

Hey Steve just an update. Had the stiches removed yesterday and very sore today from all the poking and proding. Dr. got a little upset with me cause i did not have my arm completly immobilized. Will have about a 5 inch scar from where they repaired the pec, did not expect that but no big deal. My rehab protocal is as follows:

6 weeks no mobility at all
6-8 weeks Passive rom forward and internal rotation only
8 weeks isometrics of pec and shoulder
10 weeks Start external rotation
12 weeks Light resistive exercises
4 months Initiate heavy resistive strength program
6 mths heavy lifting.

However i am like u and hope to be back crossfitting within 3 mths. Before i had surgery i set a pr deadlift at 385#. Hope to be back at that weight in no time. Question: Before surgery i was able to still heavy deadlift, press, and do numerous other oly lifts. However could not do a push-up, pull-up or bench. Where u able to perform these lifts? Just curious cause i found it odd that i could still do this. One other thing the Dr. told me is that down the road I will probably need a total shoulder replacement due to wear and tear. So i have that to look forward to.

Thanks for your time. Hope all is going well with your recovery and thanks again for the info. and the support.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:03 AM   #22
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Hey Mike,
Glad to see you survived. Get ready to begin the battle between medial advice and your ego.

I'm 8 weeks out and have progressed from passive ROM stuff (got full ROM back already), to light shoulder iso-stuff like front and lateral raises. Also doing some bi-curls and triceps cable work. Globo movements are just a blast.

As far as oly work, I can deadlift pretty much the same as before the injury. I'm doing overhead with really light weight, but no clean and jerk kinda stuff yet. Also, I've just started with iso-plank position stuff. I'm going to progress about 1/4 depth to the floor every month until Feb.

The real concern is allowing the tendon to completely heal to the bone, and that is a 4 to 6 month process as you know. My attachment is with steel anchors in the humerus, filimient runnig off of the anchors and sutured to the tendon. It will reattach as the bone heals from where they 'wounded' it during the surgery. I think realistically I'll be doing push ups by Feb, but I have zero desire to bench ever again. We'll see.

Good luck. Keep me posted.

SB
Old 11-17-2008, 05:29 AM   #23
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Thanks for the update Steve. I asked the Dr. when I would be able to bench again and he said 6 mths. However, I watched a freind do Linda yesterday and it hurt just watching him bench. Another question: How is the pain level when you start the pt? I'm just now starting to not have pain all day. Can't wait to do bicep and tricep work......thats great for the core
Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #24
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Matulonis View Post
Thanks for the update Steve. I asked the Dr. when I would be able to bench again and he said 6 mths. However, I watched a freind do Linda yesterday and it hurt just watching him bench. Another question: How is the pain level when you start the pt? I'm just now starting to not have pain all day. Can't wait to do bicep and tricep work......thats great for the core
Your pain level will deminish pretty quick. The worst I had was during external rotation. The way the pec is anchored to the humerus is really pulled hard when you rotate that sucker outward from the side. I went through about 4 weeks of passive movement. Went back to the doc, got a good report (and xrays, ask for those for putting up on the fridge), and never called my old PT back.

I ended up calling a friend who is a really food pt guy, and has had this injury. We sat down at my affiliate and came up with a protocol for the next 3 months. Everything from band rotation drills for my rotator, to planks, to scapular rotation, and everything else. Needless to say, depending on your shape at the time of the injury, you'll come back pretty fast. However, remember I had mine fixed 8 days after the injury.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #25
Greg D Hamilton

Profile:

My right pec started hurting last week after doing a good amount of dips. I took the weekend off and just ran yesterday, but still having pain.
It doesn't hurt except for certain movements. The main time I notice pain is when I am leaning over (washing hands, reaching for things on the ground...)

The pain isn't too severe, but it's keeping me from doing much. Any thoughts on what it might be and or ways to alleviate it?

Thanks,
Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #26
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Greg,
Depending on the location of the pain, severity, and limiting effects it places on your overall movement... it could be anything from a strain to a partial tear. If it were a complete tear, you wouldn't need to ask. Trust me.

Sounds like it could be a partial tear or strain. Is there any bruising (edima) any where on the pec or upper arm?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #27
Greg D Hamilton

Profile:

No bruising.
It's weird though, I can situp/standup straight and stretch arms out to the side, to the front, above my head, and straight down with no pain. I can flex my chest with no pain.
But when my torso is tweaked a bit, either to the side or bending over the pain kicks in. Probably go to the doc just to be sure - not liking having to take it easy though.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #28
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Definetly go to the Dr. but go to one that specializes in shoulders, pec. tears etc... I was miss diagnosed and it took 4 mths. before I had the surgery. Sounds to me more like a strain. The ultimate test is to try and do a push-up or bench press. If u experience pain doing that u probably have something worse then a strain. Like Steve said if it was completly torn off the bone u would no it. I could not flex that pec. without having pain and it looked abnormal. I am now 2 weeks out recovering from surgery. Also if u tore it u would have had a lot of swelling and bruising either in your pec or in your bicep and down your arm.
Go to the Dr. just to make sure and request an mri if it continues to bother u. Get the one where they inject the dye into u.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #29
John Crocker

Profile:

go for the surgery. why would you not want to get back to almost 100%? I think you would regret it years from now especially if it limits mobility, causes pain, or even because it looks bad. Don't worry about the down time. I personally would rather get back to normal.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #30
Jeff Realo

Profile:

I had the exact same injury 2 years ago resulting from a snowboarding accident. I was just coming off of rehab from an ACL reconstruction the previous year. There was no way I wanted another surgery. The bottom line is if you want to continue being athletic, you need to get the surgery. It sucked, but I'm glad I did it. I'm still working on recovering my strength, but before the surgery I couldn't even do a pushup. Be prepared to do nothing for the 1st month post op, as your arm is in a sling and you have to keep the pec from contracting. Your shoulder will stiffen from lack of motion. Once the sling comes off, the rehab starts. If your doctor is conservative, it will be at least 9 months before any resistance training. I recommend following that protocol, because the last thing you want is a re-rupture(which will happen without warning and put you back at square one). Best of luck.