CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Who has a stronger upper body a gymnast or weightlifter/powerlifter?

Powerlifter.

Maybe a rare olympic style weightlifter like Klokov or Lu.

The gymnastic training will not get you as Swole as the others. Some size can be had but most gymnasts aren't over 155# on average with the big ones coming in at 170-180 who are bear six foot.

I mean 6' 175# isn't really huge. Most weightlifters that size will be 105's or 94's.

And powerlifters tend to he SWOLE as **** if they are lean.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 AM   #12
Haris Argyris

Profile:

There is no answer to this because you compare two different variables.

If you could define at what type of exercise would one of the 2 be better than the other then we could answer.

If your question was :
Who is better at deadlifting, carrying/lifting heavy *** stuff, benchpressing etc then the answer would be a weightlifter.

If your question was :
Who is better at bodyweight stuff like iron cross, bars, pull ups etc then the answer would be a weightlifter.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #13
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:

Gymnast have a stronger upper body....for gymnastics....weightlifters for the Oly ifts and most over head and powerlifters have the strongest bench.....

strength is a skill and very specific at that level
Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I think the answer is who is the most yoked and jacked. At the lighter weights, gymnasts will probably win out.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I don't think this question could get much more subjective. It all depends upon what test you use to determine what "best upper body" is. And what exactly you define as "upper body."
Well, there are basically two schools of thought...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...u5SnO9PIg#t=21 WFS
Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

Knew exactly what that link was gonna be before I even opened it! Good form...
Old 02-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chaney View Post
produces the best upper bodies.
Therein lies the problem. Define BEST.

If by best you mean "best looking", then my money is on Bodybuilders no doubt. Sure there are those in the camp of "nah, that dude is way toooo big", but take a look at Phil Heath or (my favorite) Dorian Yates images. You cannot compete with that in regards to best looking.

If by best you mean "absolute beast like strength" then taking nothing away from the stuff I've seen a gymnast do on the rings, my money is on a Strongman/Powerlifter. If you Bench near a grand (gear - both in the juice and multi-ply realm aside) and can axle press like 500ish, I'm calling you 'Upper Body Freak.'

If by best you mean "efficient based upon what they do", then my money is on an Olympic weight lifter. Klokov has some sick upper body strength (watch any of his press videos) and the ability to stabilize and hold a 400lb Snatch at around 185lbs is crazy. Although there I'd guess its just the whole body as a unit and obvious extreme core strength rather than specifically Upper Body.

If by best you mean "most functional and overall what I see as what I'd want to perform through Crossfit and life", then my money is on an elite gymnast. The stuff they do is mind blowing and if taken to a lesser specialized level and put on the "street" you come up with crazy Parkour/Free Running or Bartendaz NY Playground sort of guys. That stuff is what its about. The ability to climb up any wall, pull yourself over a fence, get onto a roof, hold yourself in the air with outstretched arms, etc. My money overall goes to gymnast.

However, don't also forget what guys like Ivan Denisov do. Watch his KB Long Cycle videos and be in awe of his Upper Body strength, power and endurance.

Don't also forget crazy rock climbers. Now you are talking grip, wrist, forearm and insane amounts of endurance.

A fun argument no doubt, but pointless. However, did I win?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Define "win"
Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #19
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Therein lies the problem. Define BEST.

If by best you mean "best looking", then my money is on Bodybuilders no doubt. Sure there are those in the camp of "nah, that dude is way toooo big", but take a look at Phil Heath or (my favorite) Dorian Yates images. You cannot compete with that in regards to best looking.

If by best you mean "absolute beast like strength" then taking nothing away from the stuff I've seen a gymnast do on the rings, my money is on a Strongman/Powerlifter. If you Bench near a grand (gear - both in the juice and multi-ply realm aside) and can axle press like 500ish, I'm calling you 'Upper Body Freak.'

If by best you mean "efficient based upon what they do", then my money is on an Olympic weight lifter. Klokov has some sick upper body strength (watch any of his press videos) and the ability to stabilize and hold a 400lb Snatch at around 185lbs is crazy. Although there I'd guess its just the whole body as a unit and obvious extreme core strength rather than specifically Upper Body.
Couple things to clear up:

1. Klokov is nowhere near 185...he lifts in the 105kg, thats 230, and he himself has said he walks around 4-8kg heavier then that, so his walking around weight his closer to 240-245.

2.As far as the powerlifter go...look at some raw numbers, look at the guys in the 700 and 600 bench club...look at the ungodly triceps and chests on them...you got a big *** raw bench like that odds are you got a big overhead press too. Just saying yes powerlifters train bench, but lets be honest how many guys do you know who can bench 405 RAW, who have a ****ty OHP.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #20
John Burgeson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

lol right on