CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Tommy Santos

Profile:
Why do people hate Crossfit?

I frequent a forum, sherdog.net, and they bash crossfit completely. They hate everything about it. From thinking that Paleo = crossfit, vibrams and exercise standards. I figured that fighters, or so-called combatants, would prefer the principles of it. High intensity, constantly varied, functional movement seems like something that they would appreciate.

I can't think of anything about crossfit that doesn't make sense or wouldn't apply to being an all around athletic and competitive person.

If this is NOT right place for this thread, then I apologize in advance.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Jason Peacock

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Haters gonna hate. Don't waste your time on them

Just like we bash on bodybuilders for being non-functional...
Old 09-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Santos View Post
I frequent a forum, sherdog.net, and they bash crossfit completely. They hate everything about it. From thinking that Paleo = crossfit, vibrams and exercise standards. I figured that fighters, or so-called combatants, would prefer the principles of it. High intensity, constantly varied, functional movement seems like something that they would appreciate.

I can't think of anything about crossfit that doesn't make sense or wouldn't apply to being an all around athletic and competitive person.

If this is NOT right place for this thread, then I apologize in advance.
My guess is the "in your face" attitude of some crossfitters out there. Do you know anyone who enjoys being told that everything they do for training is inferior? I've been told that by people vastly weaker and less athletic than myself.....it was at a crossfit level 1 cert. Experiences like that might have something to do with it.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Haters gonna hate. Don't waste your time on them

Just like we bash on bodybuilders for being non-functional...
This is 100% correct.

I'm also on the side that if you have no enemies, you're not doing it right.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

They don't hate Crossfit, they hate the holier-than-thou attitudes of some Crossfitters.
I went to a Crossfit "Box" once, the trainer started the hard sell while we were warming up. SEE YA
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
John C Corona

Profile:

1) yes, haters will hate
2) yes, arrogant crossfitters suck just as much as arrogant fighters who dont realize the benefits and/or similarities of cf training
3) its kinda easy to hate on crossfitting if you do play real sports, like Kenny Powers said "I'm not trying to be good at exercising".
4) bad form crossfitters ruin it for the whole.
5) Theres a girl on facebook who was front squatting with a baby strapped to her front, and she was being praised for "being a crossfit mommy"...baby should be yanked by child services. This guy in the link ruins it for the whole too (he made it to tosh.o - lol). It was actually posted on the mainsite, affiliate blog I think...wfs: http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/2...=synd_facebook

I also have to plug drywalls mashup, you'll see that its kinda easy to pick on cf'ers (wfs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLVvIVvyrY

One bad apple will spoil the bunch...IMO.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Todd Morgan

Profile:

The goof struggling with that deadlift for 25 seconds is CrossFit's Director of Programming Dave Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post

I also have to plug drywalls mashup, you'll see that its kinda easy to pick on cf'ers (wfs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLVvIVvyrY

One bad apple will spoil the bunch...IMO.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

People tend to hate on things they fear or don't understand. Crossfit is hard and takes true strength from the inside and out, inner strength, that many are not willing to tap into or explore. Whether it's fear of failure, fear of change or just utter weakness, people will scoff at things they only wish they could do.

Their loss, but don't let them dictate your actions or define your thoughts, be your only person and rise above the influence.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

1. crossfit is an expensive marketing version of HIIT
2. total lack of programming, structure
3. encouraged bad form, risk taking, injury

and countless other things... I've tuned out to it. I like crossfit, it works for me, and keeps me coming back, everything else is just a distraction.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau View Post
They don't hate Crossfit, they hate the holier-than-thou attitudes of some Crossfitters.
I went to a Crossfit "Box" once, the trainer started the hard sell while we were warming up. SEE YA
I tend to agree with you on this one.....I don't bash anyone's training selection. "We" do sometimes have that holier than thou attitude when it comes to training practices.
I WOD at home because the boxes in my area have that type of mentality. If the patrons spread those views with their friends, and to friends of friends....Well, you get the jist. In addition, sometimes the sport.it's participants do ackward things that bring a bad light on the sport. We've all seen the craziness of some Crossfitters. We shouldn't bash other athletes because of our beliefs and practices. "To each his own...."

Michael