CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Muscular Anatomy Quizzing Site?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I was unable to decide where to put it.

I'm taking an exercise science class, and obviously have to learn all origin/insertion points of the majority of the muscles in the body. I can do this in my head, however I seem to be having trouble associating the muscle with a diagram (specifically from a view like the anterior shoulder, and trying to figure out if an arrow is pointing to the subscapularis, teres major, lats, and any other muscle that inserts near the lesser tubercle/intertubercular sulcus)

Does anyone know of any good websites that are good for quizzing muscular anatomy (specifically by using diagrams)?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Daniel
Old 10-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: Muscular Anatomy Quizzing Site?

As a student, you have to learn how to use google.

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscu...menu/menu.html (WFS)
Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I don't know if it is still in print, but when I took anatomy (more than 20 years ago), one of the required books was "The Anatomy Coloring Book".
Very cool, as I recall. Covers everything from the bones, muscles, organs, etc. You'd be surprised how familiar you become with those things when you spend time studying them and use your own judgment to color everything differently.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
specifically from a view like the anterior shoulder, and trying to figure out if an arrow is pointing to the subscapularis, teres major, lats, and any other muscle that inserts near the lesser tubercle/intertubercular sulcus
You can't really see those muscles from an anterior view of the shoulder... so that may be why your having a tough time?

Those muscles are all attached so closely together the tiny fraction you may be able to see from an anterior view is going to be indecipherable from the others. In any anatomy class I have taken (and I have taken 3, HS, undergrad, medschool) those muscles will be need to be identified from the posterior.

You may need to identify attachments sites on a bone, but that would require a skeleton to study off of. You could find such a diagram in an anatomy atlas, and in case you don't have one, this site has an online version of Netter's. http://nucleusaccumbens.org/Anatomy/...bum/index.html
Old 10-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I don't know if it is still in print, but when I took anatomy (more than 20 years ago), one of the required books was "The Anatomy Coloring Book".
Very cool, as I recall. Covers everything from the bones, muscles, organs, etc. You'd be surprised how familiar you become with those things when you spend time studying them and use your own judgment to color everything differently.
Funny enough, thats the book I use and have in front of me right now

However, as the diagrams used in our tests are much less "picturesque", it is hard to distinguish some muscles from others.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
You can't really see those muscles from an anterior view of the shoulder... so that may be why your having a tough time?

Those muscles are all attached so closely together the tiny fraction you may be able to see from an anterior view is going to be indecipherable from the others. In any anatomy class I have taken (and I have taken 3, HS, undergrad, medschool) those muscles will be need to be identified from the posterior.
I am aware you can barely see them from an anterior view, it is the insertion points that I am talking about specifically. Our teacher insists on having us know everything so well that it would not make a difference. Apparently (from what a previous student has told me), the class is in-depth enough (in my school board, the teachers get a lot of choice on how much to teach in that class and how in-depth to go) that he + some others have actually (as grade 12's), tutored first year university kin students.

Last edited by Daniel Frankel : 10-08-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
As a student, you have to learn how to use google.

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscu...menu/menu.html (WFS)
I had found this site actually, however I was hoping that maybe people would throw in some good links that I had been unable to find thus far.

Thanks though

Trust me, google is one of my best friends when it comes to school.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

It appears the link I posted isn't working? hmmm, here do this:

Go to this website: http://davezander.com/Radiology.html

Click the link in the top left that is a picture of a Netter's anatomy book

In the upper left click on "extremity-upper"

Click on "Shoulder and Axilla"

Now on the Right go down to the Fifth Image.

That is as detailed image as you can get of the skeleton and where different muscles attach. You can skim through the rest of the images to see if you find any other useful ones, it is an online version of a medical school text book so you will most likely be able to find what you need.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
It appears the link I posted isn't working? hmmm, here do this:

Go to this website: http://davezander.com/Radiology.html

Click the link in the top left that is a picture of a Netter's anatomy book

In the upper left click on "extremity-upper"

Click on "Shoulder and Axilla"

Now on the Right go down to the Fifth Image.

That is as detailed image as you can get of the skeleton and where different muscles attach. You can skim through the rest of the images to see if you find any other useful ones, it is an online version of a medical school text book so you will most likely be able to find what you need.
WOW, that's a fantastic resource, and exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much!
I'll definitely put this to great use!