CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Unexpected Tastiness

Apologies if there's a thread to this effect that I missed... I did some searching, but didn't actually page through all the long history of the Nutrition forums.

There are some obvious improvements in flavor and quality of food which comes with the Zone (and for some, paleo) diet... at least, to me they seem obvious; more vegetables, fruit, and whole foods, as fresh as possible / affordable. More lean meats, less refined carbs (which for the most part aren't actually all that flavorful, apart from the sugariness of some of them).

However, I never ever in a million years would have thought that adding a bit of olive oil to a protein shake (a quick and dirty way to get my post-workout fat blocks in) would actually make it taste much better. I expected it to be kind of foul-tasting (don't know why, I like olive oil), but I suppose it was just a sort of generic cultural preconception, like how one would probably assume that putting A-1 steak sauce on ice cream would be gross, though I'm sure few have actually tried it... and, I'm sure most people frequenting this board tend to steer clear from ice cream generally.

So it got me wondering; what else am I (and others like me) missing?

So, this thread is a call to anyone who's stumbled across an unexpected tastiness which may not have occurred to noobs like myself. If there's already a thread floating around out there where this is covered, again, I apologize. If you could post such a link, should it exist, that would be sweet...

Cheers,
FD
Old 12-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Mike Fout

Profile:
Re: Unexpected Tastiness

Try putting Virgin coconut oil on meat when you braise it, or almond butter on fruit. I am a total foodie, and when I found coconut oil for the first time, I think I told everyone I know about it. It brings such a new enhanced flavor to anything! I think I could eat dogfood if it had some coconut oil on it. But that is just me...
Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fout View Post
Try putting Virgin coconut oil on meat when you braise it, or almond butter on fruit. I am a total foodie, and when I found coconut oil for the first time, I think I told everyone I know about it. It brings such a new enhanced flavor to anything! I think I could eat dogfood if it had some coconut oil on it. But that is just me...
Maybe it's just me but I tried coconut oil with eggs and it was really disgusting. I've cooked various meats in coconut oil too and it wasn't repulsive but it wasn't particularly good either.

However I always use coconut oil when I cook plantains, as it adds excellent flavor.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Mark Yanis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
....So it got me wondering; what else am I (and others like me) missing?....
Maybe it's just my own preference but damn near everything tastes better with jalapenos. Even cookies. There's a place in Houston called Berryhill's Tamales that sells pecan sandies with bits of jalapeno in them. Best cookie ever. The tamales suck, though.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Carina Ricciardi

Profile:

walnut oil....thats my new obsession...everything from baked eggplant, onions, and mushrooms..to baked apples w/ it. yummy. I love Paleo. Coconut milk over blackberries. Ha can you tell I've wanted sweets lately?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Heath Collins

Profile:

I recently started drinking EVOO and Whey shakes for my early morning meal, and I agree with you completly. I expected it to taste gross with my chocolate whey protien but i was completly wrong; they are amazing. I've actually started drinking two of these shakes a day just cause I like the taste so much.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

flavour???? you want flavour.... this is the book to have and spend the next 35 years plus making your taste buds dance.

Great cooking goes beyond following a recipe--it's knowing how to season ingredients to coax the greatest possible flavor from them.
wfs
http://www.amazon.com/Flavor-Bible-E.../dp/0316118400

very interesting things in this one!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
Frank Dennis

Profile:

So, tonight I'm doing the big weekly grocery shop, and new on the list are coconut oil, walnut oil, and almond butter. Can't wait to try these!

Mark, I also like spicy, but for some reason (I'm a bit of a wuss? ) I can't really do the chile spicy of jalepenos or their brethren. I do however love horseradish and wasabi (which is also horseradish)... I'll lay that stuff on so thick it makes my sinuses explode! Mmmmm.... wasabi.

Also, I'll be asking my buddy who works at Barnes & Noble to pick me up a copy of The Flavor Bible... it's employee appreciation week over there, so they're getting something like 30 or 40 percent off right now.

So, what else has anyone got?

This probably won't be news to, well... anyone on here, but just in a case a raw recruit like myself stumbles across this: I've found mashed cauliflower, with a generous addition of fresh garlic and a spot of Mrs. Dash, to be an excellent substitute for mashed potatoes. Actually, I'm already at the point, I think, where I prefer it.

Last edited by Frank Dennis : 12-18-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Patrick Janes

Profile:

Quote:
So, tonight I'm doing the big weekly grocery shop, and new on the list are coconut oil, walnut oil, and almond butter. Can't wait to try these!
I can't find coconut oil in the local shops... any fellow aussies reading this thread and know of an easily and widely accessible supplier?

Quote:
Mark, I also like spicy, but for some reason (I'm a bit of a wuss? ) I can't really do the chile spicy of jalepenos or their brethren. I do however love horseradish and wasabi (which is also horseradish)... I'll lay that stuff on so thick it makes my sinuses explode! Mmmmm.... wasabi.
wow... either your wasabi is tame compared to what I've tried, or your jalapenos are extra fiery... cos I *love* jalapenos, and in fact, agree that they go with about anything. but wasabi, even the tiniest amount is about the hottest thing I've ever tried. oh; with the exception of a jar of sri lankan pickled eggplant that a sri lankan friend once gave me; sri lankans know hot'n'spicey...
Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Dylan Arnold

Profile:

How do you bake your apples? I would be interested in trying this!