CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-11-2003, 07:33 AM   #1
Don Milliken

Profile:

I'm not competing in any sports at the moment but I'm training Crossfit and loving it. However, I know that I train better with very specific goals in mind and I also love to compete. Are there any sports out there that would be really good tests of "Crossfitness"? I know of STREND (check out strend.com) and I'm looking for other competitions that are similar. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-29-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
David Heyer

Profile:
Don,
The WOD is a competition in itself. You are competing against: Everyone else doing it, time, gravity, distance, form, etc. You don't need a specific type of sport. Crossfit will help you prepare for ANY sport! But if you must, try gymnastics, wrestling, highland games, track & field (decathlon), pentathlon, etc.
As far as STREND goes, I like it. BUT.....I think they have great upper-body development, strength/endurance with some pencil legs! Even the founder has skinny legs compared to his well developed upper-body. It reminds me of some bodybuilders I know. They should add squats or deadlifts to make it more well rounded.
A few months back there was a discussion on a Crossfit decathlon. I'm sure Coach could have a great challenge/competition if he put his mind to it.
Dave
Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Don,
CrossFit North is going to be holding a "CrossFit Challenge" in Seattle WA this September. You can contact Dave or Nick at info@crossfitnorth.com for further details.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Well, actually, in the April 2003 CrossFit Journal, Coach proposed a whole raft of "competitions" (tests, actually) that you can use to measure your progress, and yes, compare your progress against others.

This isn't exactly competition in the sense you mean it (I think) . . . we don't gather in one place at one time to see who's best on that particular day, and you don't get the combination of camraderie and blood lust to beat the other guy that sometimes moves people to new levels of performance.

Perhaps we need an annual "come to CrossFit and be tested" day?

The tests Coach proposes are pretty brutal (I score about 4 points out a possible 100), challenging, and engaging. Coach has suggested that even the fittest athletes he sees won't score much more than 50 or 60 out of 100. And, they have the advantage of being doable on your own time, with immediate comparability available . . . just post your performance and challenge us to match it.

Hell, I'll even offer my own miserable 4 points to start it off: Test 2 is to perform 15 consecutive Clean & Jerks. Minimum standard to score any points is do this with 115 - 135 pounds. I *just* make that level . . . can do 15 reps with 115 pounds.

Do 15 reps with 135-159 pounds, and you score 8 points.
160-189 pounds, 12 points.
190-224 pounds, 16 points.
225 pounds or more, 20 points.

Each of the 5 tests has similar scoring. (5 levels of performance, 4 points to 20 points). 100 points total for superhuman performance on all five tests. I can't imagine that anyone ever scores that.

For the other tests, we should probably start another thread.

If you want to compete in a sport where CrossFit-style fitness will be the difference between winning and losing, then any of the dozens variations of martial arts will give you what you want . . . and they don't have to be bloody; judo is still a (relatively) non-violent grappling-based sporting competition in which (permanent) injuries are (mostly) rare.

Another option is Alpine ski racing. . . alpine racers are usually acknowledged as some of the fittest athletes around, and they (usually) beat the pants off other professional athletes in any of those silly "all-around" competions. For me, skiing and snowboarding (I admit, I don't race) are still reasons to keep doing CrossFit.

Another Dave (I think we have more Dave's on this board than any place I've ever seen).
Old 07-30-2003, 05:45 AM   #5
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Dave,
We have an abundance of "Daves" at our CrossFit facility in Santa Cruz as well. We often marvel at the phenomenon!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
Hi,
The weekend of September 13 we are gong to be holding a grand opening celebration for CrossFit North that will include a crossfit style competition; 3 rounds for time of: 12 KB swings, 12 pull-ups and a 400 meter sprint. Fastest time wins. Guys use a 24kg KB, gals a 16kg KB. The gals can use a 10 foot loop of surgical tubing for assistance in the pull-ups.
Coach is bringing up a van load of the gang from Santa Cruz. So it should be interesting. We are going to have a seminar/open forum with Coach afterwards and a BBQ Saturday evening. We should have details of the events; hotel info, times, location... up on the web page next week.
Come on up, it's going to be a good time.
Nick
Old 07-30-2003, 07:38 AM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:
David,

115# above my head in C&J??? I have a lot of work to do! You talked me into purchasing the April issue....if you hear moans of agony up around the Wisconsin area, it will be me trying to pass these tests...

Old 07-30-2003, 04:00 PM   #8
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
Got a typo on my last post. It should be 21 KB swings.
Nick:happy: