CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Anybody know any of these instructors?
http://www.kravmagastlouis.com/instructors.asp
I think I can manage one day a week (Sundays). It's still about an hour from my house though.
Could St Louy finally be starting to catch up?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
I know Sam, but I'm surprised he's in St. Louis. he was one of my instructors in L.A. But that was five years ago and I haven't seen him for a couple of years. I'll check it out for you see if any of the guys working for me know the other two.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Just checked the KM contact page. It stated that Sam was the contact for St.Louis. There is no better instructor period, he is a legend. If you need more, PM me and we'll talk.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
Donald Woodson

Profile:

That's not really necessary Jeff. Just wondering if they were the real deal. They must be if Mr Sade instructed you.
If I manage to get down there one of these days (maybe Sunday), I wonder if I should hook 'em up with Crossfit's website and get them to check it out. Maybe become Krav Maga/Crossfit St. Louis someday?
I don't know though. One of the other instructors, a Mike Diamont, apparently designed his own workouts that sound kinda crossfitish.
One other thing.
Are there such a thing as Krav Maga tournaments?
Oh, and thanks Jeff.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I went to HS in St. Louis. There is a very large and active JCCA there...it was not a surprise to me at all when I heard which instructors were headed there to open the facility.

I've been waiting for a year for them to finally open. Now that they have, I can see myself heading up there periodically to train. My instructor here has had nothing but good things to say about those guys.

It's my understanding (via my instructor) that KM doesn't really feature anything along the lines of tournaments. It's not intended to be that kind of art.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Donald Woodson

Profile:

OK I'm sold!
I have two Crossfit legends endorsing them. Gotta be good! Worth the hours drive. I've been wanting to get back into some MA, but was having a real tough time finding a decent dojo (does KM call them that?), around here.
And Matt, if you're coming up here, I'll just keep my trap shut about Crossfit. You'd be much better at selling it than I would.
I didn't figure KM was a tournament type sport. Not that I was thinking about competing anyway, but this does give me a decent reason to get out of the sticks once in a while.

Besides that damned turtle can do more muscleups than me, and with his house on his back too.:happy:
Old 04-15-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Don,
Do take the trip. As far as tournaments go we don't have them. Krav Maga is self defenese. Time taken away from training against multiple attackers, weapons and such is time taken away from self defense. That having been said, many of us have kickboxed, boxed or competed in MMA.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Thanks Jeff, will do.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
John Phipps

Profile:
I live in Edwardsville, IL which is just across the river from St Louis. I haven't done any martial arts classes for 5 years since me and the kids stopped going to our Judo and Jui-Jitsu classes. I will see about heading out there some weekend.

Donald, you are just up a bit from where I live. We should try to get a MO/IL crossfit meeting up and going. What do you think? Anyone else interested?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:39 AM   #10
Donald Woodson

Profile:

John, sorry I didn't see your post til this AM. I'll PM ya.

I went to St Louis Krav Maga Sunday. Met Mike Diamont and Sam Sade. Really nice folks, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from them when I join. But due to financial and other obligations, it's going to have to wait a few weeks. I'll definately be there though.
While I was there, I finally got to see a KM demo tape.
Very impressive stuff. Looks suspiciously like that ancient Arkansas hillbilly martial art I call the "Rabid Coon On Dog's Back" technique, with some neat techniques I'd never seen before. Kinda reminds me of Bruce Lee's JKD philosophy of keeping the good and throwing out the crap.
It's a small facility for now, but they are looking for a larger place already. I predict a strong following for them, and they're going to need more space.
I can't wait! It is sooo nice to have instructors of their calibre in this area finally! Well, I know there are others here that I could learn a lot from. Just not Krav Maga.