CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Kevin Simons

Profile:
11 Year Old Squat, Bench, Deadlift

Not anywhere close to perfect, but we're working on it. Just thought I'd share with the community. Harrison is 11 and has been lifting for just under a month. He weighs between 80-85lbs. Any comments are appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_BcyNt9EII

Also a spreadsheet with all of his lifts, metcons, and links to training videos here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube

Last edited by Kevin Simons : 10-10-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Scott Tredennick

Profile:
Re: 11 Year Old Squat, Bench, Deadlift

it's hard to tell from the angle but I would make sure he's keeping those knees driven out over the toes on the squats.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Brian D Williams

Profile:

I'm not sure what your goals (or his) are - but the form needs work before adding more weight imo.

Squat - elbows back and get him staying on the heels - he's rocking to toes on most reps.

Deadlift - put feet a bit closer together - knees look like they are caving in. On first rep, squeeze the bar off the floor instead of ripping it - his hips are shooting up and back is rounding quite a bit. Happily he fixes this in the rest of his reps.

Good luck and keep at it!!!
Brian
Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Mechanics.Consistency, then Intensity.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

If you're going to have a kid this age lifting, you really need to focus on getting his form dialed in. You will also have to keep making adjustments periodically, as his anthropometry will change as he goes through growth spurts. He appears to have already gone through one recently, since he doesn't look like he's very comfortable with the length of his legs at the moment.

For the individual lifts, most of it has already been said. The knees didn't look too bad on the squat to me, his body's just a little narrow for the length of his legs at the moment. You do need to get his chest up a little, and get him to sit into his heels more. Slow down his reps on the bench. He's all over the place on the way up; he needs to learn to control the path of the bar better. As has already been said, his feet are way wide on the deadlift. The relative length of his legs versus his torso are going to require him to get his butt down further than you might otherwise be inclined to coach a full grown athlete.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
James Hanley

Profile:

If you're going to load a kid that young, you absolutely have to make sure he's doing stuff correctly. He's not even displaying proficiency in the most basic of manner...

He's bombing into his squats, no tightness at all, his heels are lifting up, his knees are all over the place, his hips are shifting on the way up.

His DL stance is WAY too wide... it's more like a SL(sumo)DL.

Those things shouldn't be complicated to fix. He's obviously a cool kid who wants to train hard, so set him on that road early
Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Box squatting helps a lot IMHO. Those and hand release push-ups, burpees, and sleds are the scourge of ROM shorting-prone kids .
Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
hand release push-ups
Hand release push-ups are the scourge of healthy shoulders and I would not recommend them for anyone.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Hand release push-ups are the scourge of healthy shoulders and I would not recommend them for anyone.
I knew I didn't like this for some reason.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Above all else, he seems to be rushing each move a little. Lighten up till his technique is better, I wouldn't be going for 1RM's, focus on the 5x5 range once his tecnique is on point.

Also after his tecnique gets better make sure to focus on speed days so that his neurological pathways get to fire off as much as they can with the normal growth he will get on top of any muscle from working out. Power cleans and snatches are great for this.