CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Will Feber

Profile:
How long to keep a strength bias

I've been doing GSLP for a few months. I try to do a short heavy metcon tuesdays and saturdays once in a while, depending on how I feel recovery is going and how much sleep I got.

As much as I like GSLP, I would love to mix it up a little bit and also feel like I should had some goal, for how long I wanna continue doing it. My current stats are:

BW: 86kg

5RM:
Press 46kg
BP 65kg
Squat 110kg
DL 125 kg

When do you think it's okay for me to move away from a strength bias and introduce more metcons or other things that mix it up a bit. I wanna have good enough strength base, but obviously also wanna avoid boredom.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: How long to keep a strength bias

So, what exactly is your goal?

You said you wanted to have a goal but don't know what it is. Unless I cannot read properly today.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

well obviously only you can decide how strong is "strong enough" for yourself, however in my opinion you still need to work on getting alot stronger. if you are bored, perhaps trying a new program for a while would help? a change in routine can be helpful and positive at times, but it is possible to change up the routine without changing up the purpose or goal.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Will Feber

Profile:

Dough, good point I guess my question was "how strong is strong enough?". I keep reading that it makes sense to build a good enough strength base with some strength biased program, since it allows to make strength gains faster and "milk the novice period".

Andrew, if you would have to put it in numbers, how much stronger do you think I should get, before moving away from a strength bias?

Do you guys think it's okay to continue with gslp and do skills stuff (learning handstands, etc) after warmup and before lifting?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Struan Potter

Profile:

Strong enough today will not be strong enough tomorrow. Keep getting stronger.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Will Feber

Profile:

Struan, of course I will always continue to try to get stronger. But I only have a limited amount of hours I can spend on working out. Right now I use all of them to get stronger, because like mentioned in my previous post, it seems to make the most sense as a novice.

My question is, when is it reasonable to use some of those hours to learn new skills, get faster, more flexible, better at metcons, etc?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

it's impossible to give exact numbers without knowing your age, height, body fat comp, etc... however, at a minimum, i would want to see all your 5RM numbers listed go up at least 50% more than where they are now, and even more would be better. in my opinion, ideally your max should bodyweight press, 1.5 bodyweight bench, and 2 times bodyweight squat and dead before you moved away from strength focus. that would be a good foundation for strong enough.

as for mixing in skill work, i think it's not only ok, but a good idea. a little skill work as part of a warmup is not going to hurt anything, and may actually help improve, especially if that skill work helps improve flexibility, balance, coordination, etc.

just my two cents.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Will Feber

Profile:

32 years, 183 cm, bf probably around 22%, bw 86kg

are those maxes you mentioned 5rm or 1rm?

thanks!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
32 years, 183 cm, bf probably around 22%, bw 86kg

are those maxes you mentioned 5rm or 1rm?

thanks!
32 years, 6 feet tall, 190lbs, 22% body fat (150lbs lean mass) - approx numbers for the non-metric types...

the numbers i listed were based of percentage total bodyweight and would be for single one rep max. if you want to utilize the 5 rep max, base the same percentages of your lean body mass, so same percentages based off of 68kg for your 5 rep maxes. that would be a minimum standard for strength in my opinion.

at your age, height, and weight you should easily be able to squat and deadlift 180kg, bench 125kg, and press 95kg for a single max.

again, just my opinion. others may think more or less, and only you can decide for you when you are strong enough.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Do what you want. If you want to do more metcons go to town, but realize you will lose strength when you do so. If you are like me this will upset you and you will go back to strength training, if not, then who cares

The best workout program, regardless of athletic goals (IMO), always has a strong foundation of strength work. That does not mean it needs to be the majority of the work, but that a foundation needs to be there. If that means you Squat heavy 1-2 times a week with all LSD the rest of the week, fine. If that means you do a MEBB style with 1 lifting day and 2 metcon days, great.

Either way there is never a point where you suddenly become strong enough to never need to strength train again. It is a constant, forever important aspect of fitness and health and thus needs to be treated as such.

Again in my own opinion, cardiovascular capacity is easy to attain, and can be done so in a variety of ways. Strength is very difficult to obtain and only done so through torturous, long, consistent, hard work.