CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-26-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
For those who are working on jump squats, do you do them in addition to the WOD or in place of whatever squat/lower body work is called for in the WOD?
Old 12-26-2002, 12:57 PM   #2
Derek

Profile:

Welcome Nicholas,
Usually the coach will spell out what he wants us mortals to do with in each workout of the day. I.E. front squats, back squats, or even jump squats! All you need do is attack each workout with as much intensity as you can muster for the duration of the workout. If after each workout you feel as though you need to do further exercises, you are most likely not putting enough intensity into the WOD. Yes, some are easier than others but it is all part of the big training picture. It is very easy to over train using the CrossFit methodology, so REST on the rest days or your legs will be toast (not to mention a few other things as well).
Good luck with the squats!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:27 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hey Nick!

I agree with what Derek said with a cavaet...I do "a lot" of jumps outside of crossfit but I make them non fatiguing. When I walk around green lake or woodland park i will jump on top of anything I can...benches, trash cans. It is a bit of greasing the groove using jumps.

Often times I will use a higher platform for the WOD because that is all that is available. The other day I used the 36" table at Dave's for the jumps instead of the 20" box. After about a year of this I can jump on top of something which is about clavicle high on me. This is not all verticle jump but rather being able to snap my legs up w/the hip flexers.
I hope this helps!
Robb
Old 12-26-2002, 04:34 PM   #4
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
Derek and Robb,
Thanks for the insights. I have seen a few references on the board to people doing weighted jump squats and was wondering how they fit that in to WOD, or not. Usually, I'm not looking for anything to add to WOD, except some quiet time to let the nausea pass. Robb, I was wondering what those footprints were doing on the table.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 12-30-2002, 09:31 PM   #5
Ross Burke

Profile:
Hey all, I wondered if anyone else ever does 'depth jumps.' I've had some discussion with coach on the how most of our typical training is in 'imparting force'into an external object, ie; most weight training. Coach makes the point that something like 'wall ball' helps train the athlete to 'absorb force' also, as the medicine ball imparts force to the athlete as he/she catches it upon it's return. Obviously valuable for the martial artist, and less obvious but no less valuable for the 58 year old housewife who may slip and fall face first on the kitchen floor (hopefully now able to extend her arms and break her fall before absorbing the force with her face :happy:) So after doing plenty of increasingly high jumping up onto objects, a few years back I began to add jumping down from increasingly high objects. I got to the point where I was repeated jumping from heights slightly higher than I am tall (not a word about the fact that I'm only 5'4 3/4" on a very good day coach!). I'm not sure I can accurately evaluate the short term benefits, feeling much better able to handle sudden forces imparted to my legs, stronger especially throughout the groin region, (and making my feet sore at times) but I know I'd be more confident now if faced with the need to jump from something higher than a shoebox. Comments?
Old 12-31-2002, 09:58 AM   #6
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
Ross,
I do depth jumps from one bench to another with as little time spent on the ground as possible. I'll do them once every 10-14 days with good improvements in my explosive capability and ability to impart force.
Nick
Old 12-31-2002, 10:54 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
The things I have read on the subject seem to indicate it does not take extreme height to attain the most benefits. I think the protocol nick describes which trains one to really utilize the stretch shortening cycle...that is good stuff.
Robb
Old 01-11-2003, 11:22 PM   #8
Ross Burke

Profile:
Thanks Nick and Robb, I actually began my depth jumps from a very low box, landing in a proper squat and jumping for vertical distance as quickly as I could from there. I remember reading about that some time ago, and yes, it is a great 'add on.'
Old 01-13-2003, 05:35 AM   #9
Igor Torfs

Profile:
Reading that jumping relatively low has a great deal of the benefits, wouldn't it be a great staple exercise to jump up the stairs for example, rather low and thus safe?

Jumping down the stairs seems a bit too dangerous
Kind regards
Igor