CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Nathan Shoudy

Profile:
squats making your entire body grow

squats, deadlifts, power cleans, presses...ive heard time and time again these movement create a hormonal reaction and can build muscle throughout your body? is this true? will squats make your biceps grow? are these truely the best movements for muscle and strength? If you lift heavy during these movements will your levels of T or GH actaully increase? is there any true science behind this?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: squats making your entire body grow

It's unlikely at this point that it's true.

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index...muscle_growth/

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index...owth_-_part_2/

Both WFS
Old 09-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Those exercises do evoke a higher endocrine response than isolation exercises. However, how much T or GH is released when compared to other exercises is debatable.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
What is it these links are exactly supposed to prove?

The second "study" found a statistically significant difference between the group that did "full body exercises" to increase hormonal level and the group that only did isolation. So that seems like the opposite of what you are trying to say it "proves"

Both these studies are irrelevant though, A) sample size is minuscule (9 and 12) B) time frame is ridiculously short (11 and 14 weeks) C) it does not take into account what level of training advancement the test subjects are (starting points effect end points) D) they do not even use a real full body movement, Leg press /= squat or deadlift

I have no studies to prove full body compound lifts make you stronger over all, and cannot say difinitively they do or not. All I can say is that when I deadlift, squat, power clean, etc I am generally stronger all over without specifically doing any isolation work. I can also say these "studies" literally mean nothing scientifically and should hold zero conclusive weight for anyone who cares to read them with any kind of critical thinking
Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
What is it these links are exactly supposed to prove?

The second "study" found a statistically significant difference between the group that did "full body exercises" to increase hormonal level and the group that only did isolation. So that seems like the opposite of what you are trying to say it "proves"

Both these studies are irrelevant though, A) sample size is minuscule (9 and 12) B) time frame is ridiculously short (11 and 14 weeks) C) it does not take into account what level of training advancement the test subjects are (starting points effect end points) D) they do not even use a real full body movement, Leg press /= squat or deadlift

I have no studies to prove full body compound lifts make you stronger over all, and cannot say difinitively they do or not. All I can say is that when I deadlift, squat, power clean, etc I am generally stronger all over without specifically doing any isolation work. I can also say these "studies" literally mean nothing scientifically and should hold zero conclusive weight for anyone who cares to read them with any kind of critical thinking
Science isn't about cherry picking studies that support your POV. It's about looking at all the evidence. The studies do mean something, even though they are not as strong as studies would be in medicine. Anyways, a rise in anabolic hormone levels from the leg press has been measured.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Eric Shuty

Profile:

What exactly is the point? Are you going to stop doing the greatest exercises known to man because they may or may not boost test and GH differently than other exercises? Bottom line is that they WILL increase over all body mass and strength to a greater extent regardless of hormonal activiation because they recruit more muscle groups. So while it is an interesting bit of trivia to know how they effect test and GH it is also a moot point.....
Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Harder to find guys who squat a lot and are small / weak up top compared to guys who bench a lot and can barely squat their own weight...

Keep squatting...
Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Shoudy View Post
squats, deadlifts, power cleans, presses...ive heard time and time again these movement create a hormonal reaction and can build muscle throughout your body? is this true? will squats make your biceps grow? are these truely the best movements for muscle and strength? If you lift heavy during these movements will your levels of T or GH actaully increase? is there any true science behind this?
bunch of muscles engaged in the deadlift:

http://thefitfork.com/wp-content/upl...es-engaged.jpg

you throw in squats, power clean and jerk, power clean to front squat, snatches , box jumps, KB exercises etc., you will gain weight, not necessarily hypertrophy but functional muscle and explosive power.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Science isn't about cherry picking studies that support your POV. It's about looking at all the evidence. The studies do mean something, even though they are not as strong as studies would be in medicine.
Science is not about cherry picking, that is correct. It is about looking at all the evidence with a critical and questioning mind, correct. Whether in medicine or any other scientific field it does not matter, the criteria for what makes a study well done vs not are the same. These studies are poorly done with conflicting results, thus they tell us literally nothing conclusive and can only serve to tell us "more, better research needs to be done" which we already knew. So why then was your original comment:

Quote:
It's unlikely at this point that it's true.
Because neither of your links, nor anything I have read, support that to any reasonable degree.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Harder to find guys who squat a lot and are small / weak up top compared to guys who bench a lot and can barely squat their own weight...

Keep squatting...
This was me for my whole "exercise" life...never did squats, DL's, cleans, etc...wish I had.

44 years old...stronger and faster now than when I was 22. And I can finally squat more than I can bench

Love Clean and Jerks as well...