CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Tom McFarlane

Profile:
Article - Crossfit, Is It a Safe Program

Don't know how many have already seen this, but it's an interesting (though not very favorable) read:

http://www.trifuel.com/training/tria...a-safe-program (safe)
Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Ben Norris

Profile:
Re: Article - Crossfit, Is It a Safe Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McFarlane View Post
Don't know how many have already seen this, but it's an interesting (though not very favorable) read:

http://www.trifuel.com/training/tria...a-safe-program (safe)
Just read it. It as an appauling artical. Just another hater using tired old arguements. To what end I do not know, maybe Crossfit is taking his client base.

Besides I am hardly going to take any advice on Strength training from a Triathlete. That is equivilate to asking a swimming coach to improve your Olympic Lifting. He should stick to what he is best at. Making people being weak and small who can run, swim and ride a bike well.

Not hating on triathletes if that is your goal but there is no need to write an artical slamming a subject you know nothing about.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Brian Kellogg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Just read it. It as an appauling artical. Just another hater using tired old arguements. To what end I do not know, maybe Crossfit is taking his client base.

Besides I am hardly going to take any advice on Strength training from a Triathlete. That is equivilate to asking a swimming coach to improve your Olympic Lifting. He should stick to what he is best at. Making people being weak and small who can run, swim and ride a bike well.

Not hating on triathletes if that is your goal but there is no need to write an artical slamming a subject you know nothing about.
And the whole idea he submits that people over 35 should not do Crossfit, because sooner or later they will be injured. Never mind the knee and other joint issues distance runners often have and no one, this guy included, advocates that everyone hangs up their running shoes at 35.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Kim Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kellogg View Post
And the whole idea he submits that people over 35 should not do Crossfit, because sooner or later they will be injured. Never mind the knee and other joint issues distance runners often have and no one, this guy included, advocates that everyone hangs up their running shoes at 35.
I was thinking the same thing and it ticked me off. I suppose the 35 and overs might as well just take up power walking or something like that as we already have one foot in the grave anyway.

I just got back into training again after a variety of overuse injuries brought on by my trail running as my runs would often go two hours or more so I paid for it as I'm 43 and my joints just don't like that kind of pumbling it seems. I find CrossFit to be better because I'm working out an hour or less and then I'm resting, eating, etc. I have friends who train for triathlon's and keeping up with their logs is exhausting. By the time they're ready for the event they are often exhausted, over trained, semi injured, etc.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Pretty much everything he said is true when you look at CF at it's worst. In fact, articles like this define what can absolutely be detrimental for CrossFitters if they aren't aware of them as they get involved and stay involved with CrossFit.

But the article also ignores CF at it's best. He talks about CF not promoting good movement, despite the fact that in almost every CF gym you get people hammering squat depth, shoulder mobility, rolling out tissue, MFR, etc. It's not in the WoDs themselves, but many CFers spend a lot of time before and after workouts talking about flexibility, mobility, taking care of their bodies, thanks both to word of mouth and to the hard work of people like Kelly Starett. How many times do you have athletes or former athletes come to CF gyms who can't squat, can't rack a bar, are just super tight with poor movement everywhere and never really knew? All the time. Improving that ability to move is a priority from the start. Same with programming: there are some well programmed CF programs out there with rational strength work that he would probably agree with, they aren't all shoulder destroying random suck fests.

I guess we just have to work hard to help CF exemplify the best of our community, and not the worst.

P.S. Good call on the over 35 and running.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Ben Norris

Profile:

When you hit 35 just off yourself seems to be his advice. Either that or sit on the couch and get fat.

I am just sick and tired of all these people who know nothing about Crossfit hating on it because some guy they know though their mate got injured doing something moronic so they go onto something like the couch thread and decide to write and artical based off it.

The old saying of people in glass houses should not throw stones is very applicable here. Have any of you seen an elite female triathlete? They look 10 years older than they are, they are so skinny its disgusting and they all have faces made of leather. YUCK.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Same with programming: there are some well programmed CF programs out there with rational strength work that he would probably agree with, they aren't all shoulder destroying random suck fests.
To be fair, he was specifically talking about main page programming, which I think we can all agree is pretty bad.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

MP pretty bad? Ehh. A lot of people around here would characterize it as acceptable for general fitness if:
1) the athlete isn't weak
2) it is properly scaled when necessary
3) the athlete knows when to back off and take some time off when it's needed.

It's certainly not fantastic for most people and goals, but athletes that started off strong enough have gotten pretty far in this sport just following the main page.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Brian Kellogg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
MP pretty bad? Ehh. A lot of people around here would characterize it as acceptable for general fitness if:
1) the athlete isn't weak
2) it is properly scaled when necessary
3) the athlete knows when to back off and take some time off when it's needed.

It's certainly not fantastic for most people and goals, but athletes that started off strong enough have gotten pretty far in this sport just following the main page.
The Rx of mainpage is for firebreathers. Very little of what I see on mainpage can I do Rx. Whereas I can Rx to WODs at least 75% of the time at not only my own box but the boxes I visit too. The main site WODs from my recollection, are intentionally set high so that anyone can get something out of it by scaling. If it were set too low, it would not sufficiently challenge the fittest athletes and it would be much harder for them to embellish the programming without overdoing it and hurting itself than it is for us "weaklings" to scale back as necessary.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Besides I am hardly going to take any advice on Strength training from a Triathlete. That is equivilate to asking a swimming coach to improve your Olympic Lifting.
... The guy is not giving advice on how to be a competitive power lifter. He is giving advice on how strength training should be used by Triathletes! It seems he is in a perfect place to give an informative opinion on the subject.

Your attempt to discredit him, and use of an ignorant analogy to do so, is part of the small list of problems in the CF community. People that train for sports outside of CF that use traditional or different styles than CF are not wrong or stupid, especially when they have results and experience to back up what they do. You may not agree with it right now, but growth and learning comes from welcoming different opinions and ideas, not rejecting them outright.