CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Re: 11 Year Old Squat, Bench, Deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Hand release push-ups are the scourge of healthy shoulders and I would not recommend them for anyone.
Do you mind if I ask why? I'm a little curious.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Robert Callahan

Profile:

As you lower yourself from a plank to the bottom of a push-up you are loading your rotator cuff, lats, and several other shoulder stabilizers which holds the head of the humerus in place. When you unload your hands at the bottom you relax all those muscles and release the tension built up. When you then put your hands down and start the push-up again you suddenly load all those muscles that just relaxed, only now the head of the humerus has moved and those muscles are in a very awkward, vulnerable position.

Same reason you don't want to start dumbell bench with the dumbells at the bottom position.

Since push-ups are not typically a huge stress, it is not a big deal in small doses. But at high reps, you will see a lot of aggravated shoulders from doing these.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
As you lower yourself from a plank to the bottom of a push-up you are loading your rotator cuff, lats, and several other shoulder stabilizers which holds the head of the humerus in place. When you unload your hands at the bottom you relax all those muscles and release the tension built up. When you then put your hands down and start the push-up again you suddenly load all those muscles that just relaxed, only now the head of the humerus has moved and those muscles are in a very awkward, vulnerable position.

Same reason you don't want to start dumbell bench with the dumbells at the bottom position.

Since push-ups are not typically a huge stress, it is not a big deal in small doses. But at high reps, you will see a lot of aggravated shoulders from doing these.
Interesting, is this just your opinion or can you point to any other sources on this issue?

thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Still have not found anything negative or cautionary regarding hand release push ups. I couldn't find any reported injuries either.

Anybody have some sources? Or should I put this warning in the grains are bad pile?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Still have not found anything negative or cautionary regarding hand release push ups. I couldn't find any reported injuries either.

Anybody have some sources? Or should I put this warning in the grains are bad pile?
Sorry don't have time for checking boards much these days. And along that line I don't have the time nor the energy to try and pull up shoulder mechanics studies for you. Nor is it very likely that specifically lift hand push-ups have ever been a part of any study of long term shoulder health. My comments come from my experience as a coach, athlete and my education in anatomy and physiology. You can take it or leave it, makes no difference to me.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I'm not saying you are wrong but I see nothing to support you being right and you are to busy to support your position plus you don't care (always a good attitude for a "coach").

I will keep experimenting with them and keep an eye on the trainers, coaches, and athletes who are using them with no reported problems.