CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
James R. Climer

Profile:
75 lb Snatch, (125 is my max), let me have it.
Attached Files
File Type: email MOV06729.mpg (3.12 MB, 326 views)
Old 08-25-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
OK James, you asked for it! :proud: Maybe next time film with the camera in the upright position?!

Good effort, I noticed just a couple things. 1. You're not getting a full extension on your second pull - pull high, get tall - on your toes, jump and shrug. At the top of your pull, you should be on your toes and your arms should be straight. 2. You're bending your arms too early, they're bent before your feet ever leave the ground. Ideally you should be trying to keep them straight. They only bend as you're pulling yourself under the bar.

Here's a clip of my 50k snatch at my last comp. for comparison. I'm sure, Coach B can find something I can improve on - like starting to far over the bar. Anyway, compare how high the 2nd pull is before I pull under the bar.

Last edited by Veronica Carpenter : 02-23-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
James R. Climer

Profile:
Veronica - Thank you, I asked my wife to try to get the view to include head to toe, hence the sideways camera angle. Also, this video is the first look for me at myself and I immediately noticed the contrast to the elite weightlifting athletes. No surprise there, but I did see all the faults that you mentioned, as well as I am disappointed at how slow I am, and how stiff and "non-fluid" I look.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Keep at it James. You're form is actually pretty good except for what I pointed out. Your start position and first pull are good and you're not THAT slow! Try working more snatch pulls from the floor, emphasizing the jump at the extension and keeping your arms straight.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
Tyler Scarborough

Profile:  
I'm not in a position to critique, but after watching both videos I had a question as to form and thought this would be the best place to ask it. Is there some sort of premature extension before the bar is pulled off the floor? Not sure if that makes since but in Veronica's video you seem to rise up from the starting squat position to the full extension of your arms then you seem to squat slightly and explode into the lift. In James' video it seems your just ripping the weight off the floor without that first extension. I'm just learning the lifts so this may be a basic form question I was just curious if I'm seeing things right and if I am it could be one of the many form flaws I've been missing. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
Ben Krey

Profile:

Tyler you are observant.

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sporti...ticles011.html
Old 08-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Tyler, I think you're referring to the re-bend of the knees as you go into the second pull (the jump and full extension) As you pull off the floor the bar should be pulled in close to, if not touching touching, the shins, the back angle should remain close to constant at this point. As the bar clears your knees, the back angle opens up, the knees dip slightly and the hips extend. Think of the starting movements when jumping from a standstill.

The bar trajectory should be a straight vertical line. In actuality it isn't completely straight, but you should attempt to keep it as straight as possible.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
James, you're not as slow as you think. You are actually catching the bar in the power position and then riding it down to the squat position. It's that ride down that makes it look slow. Part of the reason you don't get full extension is that this is a relatively light weight for you and you have more than enough pull - even when you cut the pull short - to power clean this lift. That doesn't make it okay to cut the pull short, even with the lighter weights, but that's part of the reason why. Same with the early arm bend - it's light enough for you to do so, even though it's a very bad habit.

Coach B. says you should lift the light weights with the same technique as the heavy weights. Other coaches have said you should lift the ligth weights like they are heavy and the heavy ones like they are light. But you get the idea...
Old 08-27-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
good points Lincoln. Yes, you should lift the light weights with correct technique even if you can get away with sloppy technique. When the weights get heavier the sloppiness will show even more and cause you to miss your lifts.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
James R. Climer

Profile:
What an eye opener, thanks for the feedback. I can plainly see what you are all talking about in your critiques. This is really a fantastic coaching tool. As the saying goes: The camera doesn't lie.