CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Paul Findley

Profile:
I have been subbing 10X single unders for double unders. Having a real hard time with the doubles. I am using a cheezy PVC rope. Did a search on the archive. Found a suggestion for these:

Buddy Lee

Any thoughts on the "right" rope. Any input on an approach to getting to double unders?

I can rip one double under after about 5-10 singles, but two doubles in a row is tough. I blame my rope :-)
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Do a search on making your own rope. There have been recent posts about using plastic coated wire like that used for clotheslines. Apparently they make for a great speed rope and are cheap.

As for the double unders, I'd try to get into a rythm. If you can do a double under every 5 skips, then do that for your entire workout until you hit the desired number of double unders. Next time do a doulbe under every 4 skips, then every 3, etc.

I'm still struggling with them myself, but I have realized that it's a combination of rope speed and jump height. In the past I just tried to rotate the rope faster, but now I'm having more success with jumping higher. I suppose that's why they're more challenging.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
Skipp Benzing

Profile:
Paul,

I think that double unders are like anything else they take a lot of practice. I would maybe try a few plyo jumps to also help practice for these. One that I like to use when teaching double unders is the pogo jump. When performing a pogo jump one should think of bending at the knees only a few inches and make sure to strike the ground quickly with the ball of the foot and be sure to pick up your toes up after you leave the ground. The reason I like this exercise is because it will help teach you to not donkey kick when jumping. I feel if you donkey kick (pick your feet up behind you when you jump)it causes your body to land different making it harder to get back off the ground for the next jump which may be one of the reasons you are having trouble performing multiple jumps. The feeling I explain to people that you should feel like your legs are pogo sticks when jumping so try to only bend at the knee a few inches so you are more straight like a stick. I'm not for sure if it will help you but I use it a lot for many of the young athlets I train when they learn how to perform double unders and they seem to pick them up quickly. I would maybe start with a few sets of 10-15 pogo jumps before you practice your double unders. The rope does make a difference but if you use the correct technique one should be able to perform them with almost any rope. Like I said I dont know if this is the best advice but it seems to work for me when teaching them. Good luck
Old 04-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
Thanks, this is just what I was looking for.

Something about the rythm is whacked, probably not landing ready to launch again.

Then there is the little matter that I am just getting good at single unders.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
The "right" rope is definitely important...but it's not the be-all-end-all...

IMO, it's very important to stay loose/relaxed when attempting DUs...if I tense up I almost immediately blow it. Also, be sure you're pulling your feet up. You've got to be getting air on these.

Beyond that...rope length and heft are a factor. But I've gotten to the point now where I can pick up almost any rope and roll out DUs. It's practice...just work on 'em.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I'm wondering if a natural sense of rhythm helps? I found that when I get them going to a beat in my head, they are easy...I was able to quickly pound out the 50 required yesterday no problem. I am also a drummer, so I wonder if those who are less apt to carry a steady rhythm might have more trouble?

Either way, I guess my point is that you have to find a way to coordinate the movement with the right rhythm...I know that doesn't help now, but as you begin to figure it out, you will see (or hear) what I mean.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

mix in tabata double unders every now and then and you will get good at getting double unders for consistency. I started doing the tabata w/o and at first I was getting 3 or 4 every 20 seconds but I persisted. Now I am consistently hitting 12 pretty much every interval. Patience, its still a work in progress for me..
Old 04-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
It's probably worth noting that if the only time you actually do DUs is when they come up in the WOD...it's going to take you a long time to get good at them.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Paul Findley

Profile:
Got through them today. I found that going from "Donkey" to "Knees up" made a big difference, since I am not getting big air. I ranged from 1 in a row to 7. I was really happy when the 7 happened. Thanks again. Probably will add them to my warmup to hit them more often.