CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
David Gessen

Profile:
I can't take it anymore

15 5'7 126#

EVERYTHING has totally changed for me. I have decided I will start crossfit as soon as I move to Canada.
I'm on my 6th week of SS program and I'm not pleased.
It's true that I've started the squat with 66# and now I'm squatting 110#, It's true that I've my previous bench was 77# and now it's 104.5#.
Yes, I've gained 14 lbs, and yes my legs got a lot bigger, so is my lower back.

But except that, I stayed as I was.
My max pullup was 16 and now it is 10(), I don't see a change in my arms, abdominal, upper back or chest.

So I have decided that I will workout on a different program, a mass program.
I wanted to get bigger, and the program hasn't completed this goal.
Maybe I will do the SS program when I will move to Canada, but for this period time - 5 month - I want to get bigger, gain some muscle.

But with this saying, I DO NOT want to bail the exercises I've done.
I want to keep squatting and everything, just in an other repetition range.
If I will need to add some exercises - I will do so.

So what I am asking you - Are you familiar with a mass gaining program that, somehow, is friendly with crossfit and is containing the same exercises or at least part of them?(squat, deadlift and bench are a must).

I know it is not possible to achieve in 5 month, but I want to get as near as possible in this period time to look like Greg A.
If you haven't seen him without a shirt you can check him out on the 100 kipping pullups for time, link:
WFS http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...100Pullups.wmv

Thanks, and I want to start with the new program on this Sunday.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Lee Hill

Profile:
Re: I can't take it anymore

At the risk of sounding critical, you've only been training for 6 weeks. What did you expect to happen? You said the goal of doing SS was to build mass. You've gained 14lbs, which is a lot in my book.

Just because your t-shirt muscles aren't looking as pretty as you expected, you're going to give up a proven mass and strength building programme that's already given you results?

Building mass is hard work. It won't be easier doing another programme my friend. My advice, for what it's worth, is to stick with the program, question why you're so preoccupied with ego-muscle and so unrealistically impatient.

(Oh, just seen your age. The impatience becomes clear, I was exactly the same at 15, when i startwed training. Keep doing SS and crossfit, by the time you hit 18, you'll be a lot bigger, and all this 15 year old angst will be SO yesterday. Patience is a virtue. Are oyu stronger than many of your friends?)

Last edited by Lee Hill : 03-28-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Noticed the whippersnapper's age!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
Tom Fetter

Profile:

You're not going to gain weight faster than 14 pounds in less than 6 weeks of training, whatever the program. Unless you eat more, and drink more milk.

Time for a reality check. That 14 pound gain is a more than 12% increase in your total bodyweight, in under 6 weeks. SS has brought your squat 66% higher than when you started ... and raised your bench by 35%.

In under 6 weeks.

Sure, you're seeing most of your bodyweight gains so far in your legs and hips - those are the biggest muscle groups. Sure, you're probably seeing a decrease in pullups ... your body's trying to adapt to the OTHER stresses you're putting on it. If you're unhappy with your progress on the primary lifts, STOP DOING ASSISTANCE EXERCISES LIKE CHINS anyhow. You're supposed to add them in only sparingly, and only when your progress on the primary lifts is helped by them ... not hindered.

To be honest, those gains are quite stellar. Another program won't give you faster progress, if your goal is increased bodyweight. The only way to speed things along is to improve your recovery.

So how much milk have you been drinking? The full gallon (4 liters) each and every day? How much food have you been eating? At least 3000 calories? How much sleep every night? If it's been 8 hours, increase it to 9, and take a nap in the middle of the day.

Patience! It's tough to be patient when you're a teen ... but project things forwards a bit. At your current rate of progress, by the end of August you'll have gained at least another 30 pounds, and quite possibly doubled your current squat performance. Maybe the same for all of the other lifts.

You truly think something else will give those strength and mass gains sooner? The only way to speed things, is to drink the milk, eat more, and sleep more.

t
Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Tim Dewey

Profile:

You might want to try the MEBB approach by Coach Rut. He focuss in on some big lifts and follows it up with a short metcon to kee you in tune with crossfit. He has 3 cycles written down as examples over on his blog. Go into the archives and start on jan 01 You can tweak the main lifts a bit to suit your needs.
Very work/family safe
http://coachrut.blogspot.com
Old 03-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Bryan Bentley

Profile:

Try to be patient as best you can. Life in general is peaks and valleys. Working out is not much different. Train your mind to prioritize performance and functionality over aesthetics. I'm soon to be 33 years old and feel good standing at 5'7", 160lbs., with a functional/fit build. When I was 18, I weighed 125lbs. and like most young men, I wanted to beef up. I didn't even crack 145lbs. until I was 23 or so. My point is is that it takes time to do it naturally and that every person is going to have varied results. Don't beat yourself up and don't be "too" serious. Make sure you're still having fun.

Best of luck.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Ian Haya

Profile:

Have patience young grasshopper. 14 lbs in 6 weeks is huge. There's a lot of people out there who'd kill to get that kind of gain in a YEAR. You seem like the perfect candidate for SS, as this program is specifically designed for people like you.

Have you been doing weighted pullups or dips? If you're comfortable with the squat/press/deadlift part of the program, you can add in weighted dips/pullups for assistance. I think Rip recommends doing them 1x per week (dips mon, pulls wed or vice versa) as either 2x8 (lighter weight) or 2x5 (heavier weight), depending on how much it gases you. They are meant to be assistance exercises, so do them only if you are making consistant significant progress on your main lifts.

Remember, the more weight you gain, the more weight you have to pull. You should want to build functional muscle, not puffy big ones filled with water weighing you down. This helps in bodyweight anything - pullups, dips, pushups, muscleup, box jump, handstand pushups, etc.

Stick with the program, keep adding weight each workout, drink the milk. As long as you're making gains and the lifts keep going up, there's no reason to change the program. A body like Greg A's isn't built overnight, no even 5 months. Actually, there's a lot of people out there in this world that are his size, but I'd wager that almost none of them can do the superhuman feats he can. You can bet that every single muscle fiber in his body is doing something useful.

Last edited by Ian Haya : 03-28-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

David,
My advice to you:

I understand you are only 15 so you won't have the same patience or perspective as someone who is an adult. TRY TO BE PATIENT!

If you gain a solid pound a week, in a year you will still be 16 and weight 178 pounds!

It takes time for your joints tendons ligaments bones etc to adapt. Gaining weight too quickly makes you more vulnerable to problems.

If you switch around too quickly from program to program especially when one has given you gains of "12%...in your total bodyweight...squat 66% higher... and raised your bench by 35%", you are being impatient and short sighted!

It is obviously you choice but if I was 15 and wanted to gain solid weight I would do Rips program "as written" which means following the programs, eating and if I had no lactose problems, drinking the milk. When I stalled I would move back in weight and drive on as the program calls for. I would use proper form and continue until I was 2 or three times as strong as you are today! But that is just me.

Greg would probably tell you he did not get to where he is in a few weeks!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Good bye.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Joey Powell

Profile:

Exactly.

Last edited by Joey Powell : 03-28-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
David Gessen

Profile:

OK OK I'll be more patient.