CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
Matt Rigney

Profile:
Ohs

I posted a question about this in the Exercises portion of the board a while back. Anyway, long and short I have a buddy who is trying to incorporate some CF type stuff into workouts. He's trying to teach himself overhead squat and has been asking me some questions. Finally I told him to take some video so I could see. Pretty sure he's missing internal rotation (e.g. if he does a handstand, he can't lock his arms out, watch this video and he has problems locking his arms out overhead). Is that what causes the bar to drift forward? What would you tell him if you were giving him advice? For reference, he has decent numbers on more traditional lifts (squat: 285, dl: 335, press: 130), although he is not athletic. OHS exposes all of his weaknesses, though. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNv-T...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Ohs

Chest, shoulder and upper back (t-spine) stretching and mobility work would be first on the list.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Christopher Morris

Profile:

His knees are tracking forward past his feet. His weight is rolling up on his toes as his heels come off the ground. The weight needs to stay in his heels.

How does his air squat compare? Does he have the same faults there?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Mike Knittel

Profile:

Bar should track over your ears and heels, looks a little far back. This might be contributing to the weight in the toes as mentioned and heels coming off the ground.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
Russel K Olofson

Profile:

Muted hip, not pushing butt back relying on the knees to do all the movement.

Have him send you a video of the most perfect 10 air squat's he can do. (hands up over head)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Dan Espinosa

Profile:

Oh boy... I'll get to the squat in a minute
Don't have a good perspective on his overhead position (paying attention more to his squat); however, general rule of thumb is arms locked out, elbows turned out forward (external rotation), and applying constant pressure upwards on the bar

As he drives the bar off his shoulders to OH, he needs get tighter in his midline. On that rep as he drove up, he went into overextension in his low back. Squeeze the butt, pull the ribs down, flex the abs then drive the bar OH.

As for the squat, chest stayed upright which was nice, depth was good, but there is one big thing that caught my eye. Stop the video at 0:18, boom. You can see he initiated his squat by leading with the knees versus sending the hips back and down. As he got further down with this pattern, his knees are so far out front that his weight shifts from middle of the foot to his toes (heels raise up at 0:20).

My advice, work on that air squat. Hammer hammer hammer fundamentals of just the basic squat. I understand he's got a pretty decent squat; 285 not bad. Doesn't hurt to take a step back, and re-work those fundamentals; in fact, it will only help in the long run. After he's worked on that for abit, work with a PVC pipe in the overhead and hammer that technique in for awhile. Advice #2: Post some more vids! Got a 285 Back Squat? Post a vid. Working on air squat? Post a vid. The more feedback the better. Hope this helps!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Josh Groves

Profile:

Pull the ribs down and have him try to spread the bar apart with his hands, that should help tremendously with his stability and initiate the proper bar placement.

For the descent, initiate the hip hinge, then drop the butt down between the heels.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Anthony Floyd

Profile:

Alright let's break it down -

Squat -

He initiates his knees first, and he should be initiating with his hips. This is why his knees go out passed his toes, because he bends at the knee before he does at the hip.

His stance is probably too narrow for his level of development, so that is going to lead to running out of room at the bottom, also forcing his knees farther forward.

He should work on good form with a squat before moving into the OHS. It'll be too much to think about doing everything at once if his air squat, back squat or front squat isn't polished a little bit tighter.

Overhead -

Not too bad here, grip looks like a good width for him, tries really hard to keep torso in good position. With a better squat, it will be easier to hold stable. Keep more upward pressure on the bar, instead of just holding it up. By putting pressure there, it is going to create a more stable system, and as the weight increases he will be able to control it better and hold it easier. Don't think of it as just supporting the weight, blast it through the ceiling, like Superman taking flight. Sorry, the emote was there, had to use it! Hope this helps!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Alex Burden

Profile:

Would have been great to see this from the front.

This might also be a flexibility problem .... Tips Kelly Starrett has some fantastic videos that will take you to the level.

Search for the correct form but also his stretch videos... They have really helped me out in a very short time.