CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Victor Putz

Profile:
"snapping triceps"...? Avoid full ROM or not?

I think I may have what is called "snapping triceps" syndrome, where during flexion/extension of my right arm, I feel a "popping" and if I put my finger over the inner "bump" on my elbow (ie if you put your right hand on your left pec, and touch the inside of your elbow, you can feel a bump in the bone), I can feel a tendon clicking over the top of it in concert with the pop.

Now, I have had this for years, and while it's annoyed me, it hasn't actually caused any pain. But as I become more reasonably fit, it's begun to bother me more as I'm, well, doing a lot more with it.

I can try and do many exercises at a reduced ROM (the popping happens only at about 90 degrees of flexion or a little past), but, well, that's reduced ROM. Or I could just do it and see what happens on the elbow, but that seems like courting danger.

Unfortunately, I can't find much information on the web about STS, and it'll be a while before I can ask my doctor about it. I have read that surgery is an option, but, well, I'm not crazy about surgery, particularly if this isn't really a problem. Any good resources on the subject, or advice?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Yong Tang

Profile:
Re: "snapping triceps"...? Avoid full ROM or not?

Yes you're right, there really is not much information on it right now so people can't really give too much advice about it. But, since I have it, and I have tried many things, I can say it doesn't hurt to do light exercises that utilize the triceps. However, DO avoid skullcrushers as those are the elbow killers and are what I believe caused my problem.

Any extensive tricep work will cause inflammation around the elbow so just keep it low. I've asked around and people have said to avoid surgery if possible. Also, it's going to be likely your doctor doesn't know much about this condition, maybe an orthopedist, but there have only been a few studies done on this cause it's pretty rare, so don't count on him helping you much. Mine didn't really.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Victor Putz

Profile:
Re: "snapping triceps"...? Avoid full ROM or not?

That's kinda where I was going too. For now I'm still minimizing ROM just to see how that goes; I can get fairly low still, just not much past 90 degrees, which is not too bad.

Meh, annoying. This is what I get for all those pushups back in school...