CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Hi! I'm a first time poster and I've just completed my first (scaled) three day stint of CrossFit -which after "Jason" left me whimpering on the ground like a bashed kitten. Good Times.

Before that I was doing Rip's Starting Strength for quite some time and on off-days was doing a variation of a sled dragging protocol that I found in Dan John's newsletter, "Get Up" http://danjohn.org/iii4.pdf (Chandler, 9)

So my question is on rest days, should I be spending them just resting or can I do some sled dragging -or anything else? Or would it be better to sled drag after a cf wo on the same day?

I've done extensive searching of the forums on various topics and found a great wealth of info out there, but haven't found this question specifically adressed, so thanks for any help that you can offer!
Old 08-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
sled draggin is a speed/power workout. your eveloping your takeoff in sprints and jumps at the same time. this is a high intensity exercise that is best done, like any speed training program a couple times a week at the most. look at world class sprinters, they literally do one speed workout and maybe 2 power workouts a week.

my advice to you, both as a personal trainer, track and field coach, and a grad with a Bkinesiology, would be to do active recovery on your rest days mate. go throw a football with that guys, enjoy some time at the beach, play some pickup ball ( not too intense) just go out and do something you enjoy that gets you moving. the worst rest you can do is sit on your arse. moving arround in its basics will get your blood flowing and let all the byproducts and nutrients to flow to where they are needed.

personally on my off days i try and play a sport like mentioned, or i go to the gym, skip, do some dynamic stretching ( key to power ) and then head on home. coach makes a great point with the CF philosophy as well, pick up a book or an article that you normally wouldnt get into and read it, work your mind out! Mens sana in corpore sano, healthy mind in a sound body!

hope this helps!
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:
Hi Tim,

First off, welcome.

Secondly, I think most anything done on a rest day, if done moderately, can be worked in. Sled dragging, in particular, is popular on rest days because it does not focus on the eccentric movement, only on the concentric. Per the guys over at Diesel Crew, they stated that the concentric-only movements associated with sled dragging causes much less tearing of the muscle.

Mind you, this needs to be done with light weight on rest days. Doing this on the off CF day should be fine, provided you aren't injured. I've done light dragging on off/rest days just to get the blood flowing and to do something rather than sit around. You can also do some heavy dragging but don't equate it with active recovery, make it a part of your workout. Hope this helps, David.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Tim Donahey

Profile:
-Kevin, I definatley agree with your active rest suggestions, pick up ball, skipping, hike, etc. and I do those things when I can, but sometimes I like to do some movement specific recovery as well. So instead of sprinting with the sled (which I haven't attempted yet) I do forward drags, backward drags, ankle drags, sled presses, sled rows, pull-throughs, front raises, face pulls, ad nauseum... I can really feel the blood flowing -it gives me a massive pump- and I enjoy giving my neighbors something to talk about while they sip pink lemonade.

David, thanks for the greetings and that's spot on what I was hoping to hear. I'll be sure to go light (70-75% of max?). Another question, how could I incorporate heavy dragging into a workout? Would it be additional workload or could I sub it for, say, running? Do any of the rx'd WOD's incorporate sled dragging already?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
David Sailor

Profile:
Tim,

I have never seen sleg dragging come up on the main CF site for part of the workouts. I've seen some of the affiliates work it into their WOD's. A few months ago, the workout was 10 x 100m sprints. I didn't have a place to do this so I marked off 30 meters in my driveway, loaded up the sled with about 130 lbs total and did 10 sprints going as fast and hard as I could. One of my kids timed me and I really liked that workout. The neighbors did think I was wacked, though.
There's no reason why you couldn't sub it in for one of the movements for variety. I tend to add it on after a max effort day rather than a metcon day. David.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
hey tim, forgot my welcomes, all those motions are great for motion work for sure, i like to do some movement trianing on my off dyas as well. with loads i would say use equivalent as you would let say... if you were training for form in over head squat... you would use just the bar right? try the equivaletn, pull just the 50# sled or arround that... it gives enuf resistance to be warm and stay warm.

just be careful about doing too much, the thing with cf is that doing too much will get you into over training. i personally add 30 mins extra with weights on on days, and swim each night. ive found this works pretty dece, but as per the sleddin on workout days, try and incorporate it on the days that power are introduced ( days with any o-lifts or their variants) warming up doing the wod, then doing sleds with plenty of rest between sets ( this will work specifically on yur speed and power ) is an awesome addition, i used this last fall during training for indoor track.