CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Thomas Klevecz

Profile:
I have a question regarding the prescribed patterns. I am aware of the basic pattern in the 3 days of activity and have a question regarding missed workouts. Though I am trying and mostly succesful at completing the workouts on the prescribed days, if not posting them on time, what is the consensus on a missed workout. For Example I missed thursdays WOD on thanksgiving and sundays workout due to Gym hours and my work schedule. I have been completing these workouts on the following rest days but does this have much of an adverse affect on the prescribed pattern? I imagine the ideal situation is follow the WOD to the letter and agree with that concept. I also have a feeling that completion of the WOD regardless of days is also the second most desired outcome. any other thoughts?
TK
Old 11-29-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Thomas,

As Coach will tell you, the three on/ one off is not a schedule chiseled in stone. Because of my work schedule, I take Wednesdays and Sundays off. I adjust as necessary, picking and choosing WOD's if one of those days happens to be a prescribed workout. Usually I pick the ones I like the least so I can attack my weaknesses. Not only that, but there are a lot of Crossfitters that don't "Crossfit" every workout. They have other things, i.e. Oly. lifts, gymnastics, etc. that they do on those days, but keep the Crossfit methodology--random, functional, high intensity. I guess this whole, long-winded diatribe's purpose is simply to state adjust as necessary, and don't worry about not staying with the schedule. Just get after it the next time you can.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Thomas Klevecz

Profile:
Mike,
Thanks for the thoughts. Right now I am hitting two a days with PT in the morning and CF at night. Randomly I add some other lifts and work as I feel necessary. My current objective is to receive an active duty Commission this winter or spring and am focusing on the endurance and also graded exercises I will be performing, being able to curl 135# or 125 times doesn't mean much on the APFT. I figure the two programs together will be good for my immediate needs and as things progress I will add more again. Now I am just waiting on Christmas for a PUllup/Dip station and some rings and a rope. I might even be able to finagle a C2 rower out of someone. We have two at the gym but I would love one for the "boys garage"
Old 11-30-2005, 04:54 AM   #4
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
My only contribution is to say that beware of not getting enough rest. I got sick when thinking that it was a smart thing to do an aerobics class on my days off. Try and catch up on missed workouts if you can, but always rest a couple of days a week.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
Thomas Klevecz

Profile:
Yeah rest is key, If I am not getting to the gym or completing a workout of my own of some accord that is what I am considering a missed WOD. What I realize I was questioning more was the inherent pattern inside each three day cycle. I imagine breaking up the workout patterns completely also helps the body not "adapt to any style" If it learns it must perform for three days and then can rest there could be a possibility of muscle adaptation, in theory I suppose.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #6
Ted Williams

Profile:
I've been forcing myself to take extra rest days when needed. I get really busy with work, and push myself way too hard...so now if I have a rough work day, and the WOD looks like it won't work the next morning...I sleep in and wait to see if I can crank out the WOD that night...if not, no biggy...as long as I do them regularly. So far I've found I feel better, and seem to perform better as well. Could be mental...
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Rest... one of my favorite WOD's. Very important. I also find that when I am well rested I am like an unfed beast and the next WOD is raw meat. So rest helps mentally as well, I guess. One thing you can try if you don't want to feel like you are cheesing out, but feel you need a break, is to cut the workout of the day, or your planned workout, in half. Make 15 reps 8, or 20 minutes 10 minutes. You get the feeling of a good workout, but a break as well. In what service are you seeking your commission??