CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-28-2003, 07:58 AM   #1
Randy Mitchell

Profile:  
I know this has already been asked, but does any one have an alternate exercise to rowing? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I just did my first WOD from yesterday and it nearly killed me. I started out with 115 for the c&j, but had to drop to 95 to finish.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

There's been a lot of discussion at one time or another of various substitutions you can make. Unfortunately, nothing is truly EXACTLY like the rowing workout.

In general, you're looking for a whole body anaerobic workout. Swimming is a pretty good comparison (as long as you go at it hard), but not everyone has a pool, or the skills, to really benefit from swimming (actually, some would argue that the less skilled you are, the better, since you're so much more INefficient).

Another alternative that works for me is just to do squat thrusts (I *love* squat thrusts) for the required duration (about 1:45 - 2:00 for each 500m of rowing). I try to maintain a minimum of 20 - 25 reps / minute when I'm doing these, but I can't sutstain that pace for more than 2 minutes.

Another alternative (that also approximates the particular muscle groups used in rowing) is high rep cleans with a light weight. Even better might be to alternate

-- cleans (to various depths, i.e., power AND full)
-- C&J (ditto)
-- snatch (LIGHT weight, alternate split and squat styles

for multiple sets of 10 - 20 reps with minimal rest . . . or just do them in Tabata style.

If you want, you can further alternate the BB and DB (or KB) versions of all of these.

A "half-Tabata" (4 rounds of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest) takes just about 1:50 to do . . . so it nicely approximates 500m of rowing (for me).

Links in the past discussions regarding rowers, and substituting equipment include:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/55.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/689.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/287.html

Dave Wood
Old 05-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #3
Randy Mitchell

Profile:  
Thanks for your help. I'll try a few of the suggestions. By the way, what is a "half-Tabata" squat?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Randy,

A full Tabata interval (of squats, for example) is 8 rounds of 20 seconds of effort followed by 10 seconds of rest, without ever racking the weight (assuming weight is being used--body weight Tabata squats are challenging in their own right).

A half Tabata interval is simply 4 rounds of 20 seconds of effort followed by 10 seconds of rest, without ever racking the weight.

By the way, I believe being able to crank out 22 reps in the 20-second work period is the CrossFit standard--that's quite an effort!

You can see a clip of Tabata squats here:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/sample2tabata.wmv

You can find the above clip, plus many more, right here on CrossFit in the "Exercises" section:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 05-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
Randy Mitchell

Profile:  
Thanks. It does.

Randy
Old 05-28-2003, 07:02 PM   #6
ROB DAVIS

Profile:  
I agree with using cleans and jerks and other full body movements. I don't have access to a rower all the time so I use various power cables from Life-Line. I just got the TNT cable and when the wod calls for rowing, I hook up the cables and do various swimming motions, side to side running, diagnol chopping etc. I use high rep schemes to simulate the time. I strap on the cables and will perform a alligator walk for sprints. I also use the Power Wheel. I strap it to my feet, and do a pushup walk motion with a knee tuck. Full body exertion and tough.