CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
Matt Midcap

Profile:

I was wonding if you could tell me where is the best place (cheap) to buy kettlebells?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 02-26-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Cheap? I don't know about that. But, I bought mine at www.dragondoor.com
Old 02-26-2003, 08:17 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

You can probably get them cheaper at http://www.mymaxtrainer.com

There was a huge ****ing match over this on the DragonDoor discussion site a few weeks back . . . revealing perhaps the true character of a lot of people (sigh).

Dave
Old 02-26-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
David,
I think they come out to roughly the same price. For a full set, I think the My Max Trainer ones are about $10 cheaper, however, the Dragon Door one comes with a 72 pounder vs a 66 from MMT. So I think it's about the same in the end. However, I know nothing of My Max Trainer other than that they publicly bash Pavel, who has never said anything against them. Dragon Door has very good customer service. I imagine My Max Trainer is probably not bad, but I've never worked with them before so I don't really know. If I wanted one of the heavier sizes, I would buy from MMT, because they are the only ones that offer them. However, I'm sticking with Dragon Door because I know of no company that backs up their products like they do. Pavel answers every KB related question that he is asked and gives away a lot of free information. I've met him numerous times and he is a very genuine and cool guy. He is by far the most attentive and skilled instructor I have ever met. He can just look at you, tell you what to do and problem solved. I'm not exaggerating on that one. If you ever have a chance to attend one of his workshops, definitely don't miss the opportunity.
Sorry if I sound like another Dragon Door "regular", but I always like to support good companies.
If you want to make a home-made one, I've seen people cut triceps bars in half and load plates on those. However, I wouldn't do anything more than swings on this type of design.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:43 AM   #5
Matt Midcap

Profile:

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll check out both sites.

Although I do like making thing on my own (as I saw on another topic in this forum), I think with the kettlebells I'm going to just go ahead and make the purchase.

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 02-27-2003, 08:11 AM   #6
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
To echo Tyler's post somewhat, I have had EXCELLENT experience with Dragon Door. I have no affiliation, other than admiration, with DD whatsoever. I have purcharsed numerous books, videos, KBs, and a "Pavelizer 2," and I anticipate purchasing more stuff in the future. (I forgot to mention my "Join the Party" tee shirt. I have to get some "CrossFit" gear as well, to insure being completely well dressed :] )

As only one example, on the Pavelizer, there was a small problem with one of the parts. I called DD customer service and asked if they'd replace that small part. Instead they sent a whole new unit out to me with a UPS return authorization code for the old one. They were 100% prompt, professional and cool about the whole matter.

The DD discussion board, which is where I first learned of CrossFit, is an excellent source of information, "entertainment" and, dare I say, "comradery". DD is unbelievably cool about "allowing" discussion of non-DD items. As far as any perceived "intolerance" of direct competitor's spam, I personally have no problem with that. If you want to sell your own KBs, why should DD support your broadcasting commercials for your products on their dime? BTW, DD seems to be lenient about mentioning competitors, just not detailing the price/product info. IMHO, with DD being so hospitable, having created and hosting one of the internet's best fitness sources, it is just plain rude, discourteous, etc., for someone to come on the DD board, knock DD, promote their own wares, and then think DD has been intolerant not to allow such behavior to persist.

I too, had the good fortune of meeting Pavel at a seminar in NY last June. I am NOT of the "guru" mentality. ( To quote Apollo Creed coaching Rocky for an upcoming bout with Mr. T, "He's just a man Rock, be more man than he !"...or, also to the guru point, when Apollo has Rocky doing new training drills, Rocky "whines" "Micky never made me do these," to which Apollo softly says, "Yeah" :] ) However, meeing Pavel, acquiring his materials, and following the DD board, was a turning point for me in terms of conditioning and the physical side of life generally. This is after years of martial arts training, endurance sport activity, etc...This positive change continues with my exposure to CrossFit, Coach Glassman's teachings and the WODs.

Best,

Eddie
Old 02-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
What's wrong with the adjutable KEttleballs that IronMind sells? Check out their website.

Old 02-27-2003, 12:39 PM   #8
Terry MILLER

Profile:
You can have a 54 lb kettlebell made by a machine shop. I had a shop cut a section of 6 " solid round stock, 6.5 " in length and then had them weld a 12" length of 1 1/4 " solid round stock onto the side of the 6" solid round stock, after the 12" long bar had been bent into a U shape. Total weight of this kettlebell was 54 lbs. Works very well for pressess, snatches, swings, hack squats, front squats, etc.. Doesn't work so well for cleans because the sharper edges of the KB tends to cause bruising to the upper arms / shoulders when it flips over at the finish of the clean.

Terry
Old 02-27-2003, 06:04 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Gerry: I haven't tried IronMind's kettlebells . . . I was always afraid that the fact that they're not one solid piece would be a problem on moves where they're going to be thrust over my head . . . I figured the "looseness" would get in my way. For what it's worth, IronMind is also a company with a generally strong reputation for product quality and customer service.

For Tyler and Ed, I agree with you (mostly) about DD and 100% about Pavel. I have also had the excellent experience of corresponding with him back before there even *was* a DD board and working with him in person more recently. I do admire him tremendously, and I value what he's brought to this country. His training methods influenced me a lot, and still do (somewhat) today.

I don't have quite such a favorable feeling about the DD board . . . far too many posts are (a) off-topic, (b) love-fests between particular people who are fans of each other (usually because of their agreement on political issues, or what they did in the military 20 years ago), or (c) ****ing matches between people who DON'T like each other, probably for the same reasons.

Mostly, it just seems that the truly useful/interesting posts are too far and few between to be worth waiting for . . . I admit that I go there much less often than I used to.

(Actually, the same applies to the Supertraining board, too, now that I think of it . . . but for very different reasons).

That said, Supertraining was what first turned me on to the OH squat, the power clean, and Olympic lifting, and the DD board was where I first learned of CrossFit, so they obviously have *some* value.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:06 AM   #10
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
I like the K-balls for swings but as an older genetleman, I am too big of a baby to have them bang into my forearm etc. I also like the really heavy ones for Farmer's Walks.