CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Ben Cully

Profile:
Months of reading, ready for my first post!

Well after months of reading, and reading and reading I am reading to dive in.
I have been at CF for about a year. I just became a federal firefighter here in North Carolina and I am now a new member of a CF gym which is awsome!

I am wanting to get my diet on track and I plan on doing that thru a paleo/zone diet. First I am working on getting my block correct. I know there are about a ton of calculators to find it.

I weight 200 lbs, 69 inchs, 37in waist "around navel" 7" wrist. My lil caliper shows about 18%... I am guessing here but most the calculations I find show me in the 17 to 19 block group. First question is...am I comming up with the correct number of blocks? I CF 6 times a week and spend about 6 to 8 hours of climbing or MMA on top of that per week.

My second question/issue is I work 24 on 24 hours off so I have to carry 24 hours worth of food with me. As a 19 block male that is 5,5,2,5,2. Since I workout in the evening, shower, eat then sleep I was going to change that to 5,2,5,2,5 so I can eat my largest meal and go to sleep. Make sense? I bought the 42 ways to skin the zone and I am thinking on dropping 1 or 2 carb blocks and adding the appropriate amount of fat as I can't seem to down that much veggies or carry that much food. I was reading my nutrition fact on my protein powder and I would like to use it with some nuts for my 2 block snacks. Basically one scoop provides the correct amount or protein and fat but lacks in carbs which I would supplement with the adjusted amount of fat.

I know it's a lot and I already appreciate all the posts that have gotten me this far. I am trying to make a diet the works for me and my needs. I am wanting to lean down and maintain or add lean muscle mass which I figure now is currently about "200lbs 18%bf= 164lbs Lean Muscle. Many thanks in advance! Ben
Old 04-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:
Re: Months of reading, ready for my first post!

Ben, I'd guess you're a little higher than 18%.

It sounds like our frames are similar - I'm 69.5 inches, 7" wrist.

At 175 pounds with a 33" measure at the navel, I'm right at 15%. Several years ago when I was around 200lbs, it was 36.5". Not sure what my bodyfat % was then, but it had to be over 20.

What's your neck measurement (right below adam's apple)?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Assuming your BF% is fairly accurate, I think 18 sounds like a good start. With your activity level you may find yourself needing to go up to 2x or 3x fat fairly soon. If you start losing weight too fast (i.e. more than 2-3lbs a week) or if your performance and energy level start to drag, bump up the fat. Going to 2x then up to 3x fat has been about the best quality-of-life and happiness related decision I've made in a while, and it's boosted my WOD performance too.

No difference really in 5-2-5-2-5 or 5-5-2-5-2 or whatever else you posted...just get the right number in for the day, preferably with no more than 5 hours between meals.

Cutting carbs in favor of fat may be a good plan for you given your schedule--just make sure that the carbs you do have are high quality. Vegetables preferably, but low-glycemic fruits aren't bad either.

Protein powder isn't as good for you as eating real food but its convenience makes it a good option for you. If you're worried about the carbs get a flavor that you can mix with water and fruit juice, or just sub in fat like you said.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Ben Cully

Profile:

Thanks, I will get a neck measurement tomarrow and post it. I don't think I am 20% but I appreciate the input. I tried several methods of calculation and I came up with between 18 and 19% but not splitting hairs though. Sounds like I am on with the 18 block range. I will try and get that in place this week and hopefully I can get the portions on point and start to feel a little better. I will also make the fat adjustments if I am dropping to fast. I am just needing to get the hang of getting the correct amount of carbs in. I seem to eat all I am suppose to but 30 minutes later my stomach is rumbling again, nit really sure why?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

The best advice I can give is - give it time. Don't expect everything to workout from day 1. You will have to adjust your block count, your meal times, your food choices and everything else a couple of times before you hit the right spot for you. Don't get discouraged if everything doesn't click into place from the start.
Keep at it and you will get to where you want.