CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Greg Light

Profile:
OHS Critique Please

Always had trouble getting comfortable with these, found that my wrist was the whole problem. Got some wraps and it helped tremendously in terms of comfort. Since I really neglected these I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Any suggestions?

(WFS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV6sAwBo0TM
Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
Paul Szoldra

Profile:
Re: OHS Critique Please

A few points:

First, bar position. The bar is behind your head, instead of directly over it. While this is technically ok, you still want to really try to get it as over head as possible. Try using just the bar, going overhead locked out, with your arms right over your ears. Push up your shoulders and pretend you are tearing the bar apart. This is the active shoulder position that you need to maintain throughout the movement.

The squat- You need to initiate your hips before you go down. This means that you push your butt back first, like you are reaching for a chair behind you, and then squat. This will push your knees back slightly, keep your weight rested further on your heels, and help you maintain a tighter position.

Knees- I could not exactly tell from the angle, but it looked like your knees might have buckled inward on the last rep. Remember to keep your knees tracking over your toes- push them out if you need to.

These are really minor critiques. You looked really good, but I think you would want to hear some corrections from the crowd. Here are mine.

I hope this helps you.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Keith Miller

Profile:

Well, I agree and disagree with the statements above. First, they looked really good and solid. I would not worry exactly where the bar is located, as it will get where it is supposed to be balance wise, so long as your shoulders are flexible enough (on me, the bar sits pretty much where yours is, and I've been doing Oly lifting for about 9 years, it mostly comes down to hip flexibility and how well your knees can travel over the toes to keep your torso upright). Second, when initiating the squat, the hips should NOT break first, this is like a front squat or high bar back squat for Oly lifting, the knees should break first. If the hips break first, the bar will travel forward and the bar will have to be pushed back farther behind the head than it is now. OP, your technique is just about perfect. I couldn't tell about the knees caving in, but if they are, that is the only thing I would try and fix. Great job.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Greg Light

Profile:

Conflicting advice........ what to do..... Any one else care to chime in?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Michael Pilhofer

Profile:

I thought 3 is a crowd but here is goes.

I would agree with Paul on the Bar placement and agree with Keith about the OHS hip movement piece.

PLACEMENT: See the pictures I froze from your Vid. The first picture clearly shows the bar too far back in your stance. It is easly 2-3 inches behind your area of base. To compensate for this as you move into the bottom position and drive up out of the bottom, your bar moves forward and more over your mid-foot. (See Pic #2) If you watch the video the first rep shows this clearly. Almost an oval bar path. At the top, oddly, after you have brought the bar back into better OH alignment, you move it back for your decent to only pull it forward as you drive it up.

This placement of the UP picture is what I would like to see you do on a regular basis, and thus will help you when you start to Snatch double body weight.

SQUAT: I would just quality Keith's statement in that while the knees do "break" forward in the OHS...just like FS, and sort of HBBS, make absolutely sure your low back is engaged. TIGHT!!! Don't simply toss the knees forward and hope to get tight later.

Hope that helps a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Down.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	5740  Click image for larger version

Name:	Up.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	5741  
www.CrossFitMSP.com

Last edited by Michael Pilhofer : 01-25-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pilhofer View Post
I thought 3 is a crowd but here is goes.

I would agree with Paul on the Bar placement and agree with Keith about the OHS hip movement piece.

PLACEMENT: See the pictures I froze from your Vid. The first picture clearly shows the bar too far back in your stance. It is easly 2-3 inches behind your area of base. To compensate for this as you move into the bottom position and drive up out of the bottom, your bar moves forward and more over your mid-foot. (See Pic #2) If you watch the video the first rep shows this clearly. Almost an oval bar path. At the top, oddly, after you have brought the bar back into better OH alignment, you move it back for your decent to only pull it forward as you drive it up.

This placement of the UP picture is what I would like to see you do on a regular basis, and thus will help you when you start to Snatch double body weight.

SQUAT: I would just quality Keith's statement in that while the knees do "break" forward in the OHS...just like FS, and sort of HBBS, make absolutely sure your low back is engaged. TIGHT!!! Don't simply toss the knees forward and hope to get tight later.

Hope that helps a little.
I totally agree with you about keeping the back tight, I forgot to mention that. With your analysis of the positioning, I will concede that it may be a bit too far, but this should get corrected once he is moving. Another thing I would add, for now, I would focus on moving a bit slower during the movement, i.e. control the descent a bit more.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

On the bar placement, as I said before: I know that behind the head is fine. It is not optimal. More significant loads are going to get a lot harder when the bar is not directly over your shoulders.

In the squat, again, I still think the hips should start the movement. I'm not saying to over extend and make it unnatural. I am just saying to use your hips first to settle your weight in your heels.

Take Care,
Paul
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Greg Light

Profile:

Thanks everyone for all the things to consider and work on in the future.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Albert Chang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Szoldra View Post
On the bar placement, as I said before: I know that behind the head is fine. It is not optimal. More significant loads are going to get a lot harder when the bar is not directly over your shoulders.

In the squat, again, I still think the hips should start the movement. I'm not saying to over extend and make it unnatural. I am just saying to use your hips first to settle your weight in your heels.

Take Care,
Paul
I thought it was optimal as long as the bar was over mid foot... That being said, the bar would seem to be naturally behind the head since you want the scapula retracted and raised for a solid foundation. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still learning this and OHS are a problem area for me.

First thing I thought was the bar was slightly too far back (not over mid foot). Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #10
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Greg,

I am gonna have to go a bit against the grain here. As I see it, your bar position behind your head is great. You never want the bar directly above your head, you want it behind you. You would also never initiate an OHS by pushing your hips out, the knees and hips break at the same time, or else the knees break first.

The OHS is amazingly self correcting, lol. Yeah, maybe the weight isnt directly over your base with that weight on the bar, but get 50 more kilos on the bar, and it will be!!!

I have coached 6 people who have overhead squatted over 400lbs, if i counted myself, it would be 7. The highest was Donny Shankle who did 440lbs, and the youngest was Ben Preda, who did it at 17 years old. They all looked similar to you when OHSing.

IMO, the only thing that will improve that lift is getting more weight on the bar!!

Glenn