CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Michael Lindsey

Profile:  
I need to add either some stretches or stabilizing exercises to my morning routine, because anything involving my shoulders is causing me pain after I work out. What do y'all suggest? I've been doing morning burpees because I'm HORRIBLE at them.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
Lawrence N. Ragsdale

Profile:
You ought to have the shoulders checked by a Doc to be sure there isn't some damage there first. You don't want to do further damage!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:46 PM   #3
Michael Lindsey

Profile:  
Already got an appointment made. Best sports med doc in the area. :-)

I'm going to go nuts if I can't do anything with my upper body for any length of time...
Old 08-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Ice after every workout. Start with low weights to get range of motion stuff. Search the injuries thread for more ideas.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Brad Smith

Profile:
Don't know what you are doing or how you are doing it but here's some things that were recommended to me and seemed to have worked:

* Never bench wide
* Never use the pec deck
* Don't do straight overhead presses... this is a tough one because some of the exercises here require it. I used to do shoulder presses with a slight angle from straight up 90 degrees and that seemed to help but I've been doing the exercises recommended here and, so far, no reocurrence
* Don't do wide pull-ups
* Lie on your side on a bench with the lower elbow against your body and the forearm pointing out in front. Using a very DB, rotate it with the elbow against your body from as far down as the bench will allow to back across your body. Hard to describe but it's basically rotating it from away from the body to across body keeping the elbow in. Helps to work on that weak posterior delt. You see people doing this standing up but the force of gravity is at the wrong angle so this corrects that. Do 10 reps and, while staying in the same position, then do the upper arm. THEN switch sides and start over. Repeat for three rounds.
* Do DB raises with your arms at about 45 degrees out from straight in front of you. Again, this is helping to strenghten delts that may be weak. These are all you have to hold those shoulders in place.

I'm not a doctor (and don't play one on TV) but these recommendations have come from several sources (physical therapist friend, chiroprator, reading) and have worked for me.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
Tom Whalen

Profile:
See http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/shoulder.htm
Old 08-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #7
Brad Smith

Profile:
I woke up this morning thinking about your question and my post. Just wanted to clarify, if you do bench presses, my suggestion was intended to say to keep your grip narrow, about shoulder width apart. Hope that's more clear.